• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Extraneous useless radio phrases

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have come to the conclusion that pilots burning holes in the sky atleast 80(+) hours a month are more easily perturbed over phraseology than 15 hour a month flyboys.

I suggest pilots who are burned out from flying those crazy 900(+) hour years to look for the cushy high paying 150 hour a year gigs and stop the bitching. I know in this current environment it is almost impossible but believe me positions do open up. Firing and hiring still occurs in these times.

Most will agree that it is easy to see the difference in irritability between pilots-controllers-etc when it comes to having less time in the cockpit compared to flown hard-put away wet pilots.

Wow. Just wow.

I just read this whole thread for the first time and I'm a bit amazed.

I must admit I used to be one of the guys referred to on this thread: non-standard phraseology, extraneous phrases, trying to sound cool.

Back when I was in college. Then I grew up a little.

More importantly, as others have so aptly pointed out, I started flying internationally (again, Canada doesn't count). There are very good reasons for utilizing standard phraseology which have been explained multiple times in this thread, and yet some still insist on insulting those who correctly call them to operate to a higher standard.

Brokeflyer - in particular you make a couple of statements which are downright hazardous:

STFU and get my checklist out......dont worry about what everyone else is doing. You need to concentrate on yourself

and
Whatever I say is perfectly acceptable

I'm going to hope you are being facetious on the second one, but the first is simply appalling. Does the phrase situational awareness mean anything to you? I strongly suggest you never fly in areas requiring IATA inflight broadcasts, in oceanic airspace, or any country where English is not the first language. Your apathy and ignorance WILL kill someone besides yourself.

Even if all you ever aspire to doing is flying domestically (USA, that is), there is no reason not to strive to be as professional as possible. If you can't see the intrinsic value in that, then I really don't know what to say to you. A quote from "Cool Hand Luke" comes to mind:

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach.

Latest resources

Back