• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Extraneous useless radio phrases

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I see alot more than you do from your little space at center, and I can tell you that controllers all over the country use 4.5, 124 and a quarter, etc. I will agree with you on your point of pilots using phrases like fish finder instead of TCAS, or FS = foxy sugar, etc. Those do not belong. The tripple 8 thing I have heard from ATC several times though. Don't point fingers! ATC does it too!

and believe it or not, those controllers are getting written up for using 4.5 124 and a quarter, triple 8, etc.

I see alot more than you do from your little space at center, and I can tell you that controllers all over the country use 4.5, 124 and a quarter, etc. I will agree with you on your point of pilots using phrases like fish finder instead of TCAS, or FS = foxy sugar, etc. Those do not belong. The tripple 8 thing I have heard from ATC several times though. Don't point fingers! ATC does it too!

You should change your username from Hollywood82 to "Wedge," the simplest of all tools in the shed.

You should change your username from Hollywood82 to "Wedge," the simplest of all tools in the shed.
There is so much more toolery in the crap that you spew from your mouth.
What I DID say was that they don't make a habit of it, and I can't recall an instance where I've NOTICED it.
HAHAHA! Pull your head out of you’re a$$! Lose the idealist attitude, and pay attention.

And just remember “a$$ master”…. Your wife left you because you are an idealist jerk. No, I think the title of tool belongs to you.

Last edited:
There is so much more toolery in the crap that you spew from your mouth.

HAHAHA! Pull your head out of you’re a$$! Lose the idealist attitude, and pay attention.

And just remember “a$$ master”…. Your wife left you because you are an idealist jerk. No, I think the title of tool belongs to you.

Please stop blabbering and just do things right.

I had a short flight (TEB-BOS) and counted numerous time the use of improper phraseology, and guess what?? Everyone understood each other. Wow, simply amazing.

i remember reading this thread when it first came to life over a year ago.......i just read the whole thing and was actually sad to see that the thread finally died.....lots of good points and some not so good. all in all i think it was a great run while it lasted!

oh yeah............anyone who ever flew in Houston's airspace i'm sure remembers the "JetLinkin" guy.......he used that for years....he has since retired.....thanks for all the laughs and i hope he is enjoying his retirement!

Jb

Why in the world do some pilots use the redundant, totally useless, stupid phrase "with you" in their 'check-in' call to ATC. He KNOWS you are "with him". "Checking in with you" has to be the worse. Call sign and altitude is all ya need and all he wants. Quit wasting time on the radio.

Why, when asked your speed by ATC do some guys add the useless "...what do you need?". Just answer the question -- ATC will tell you what they need, if any change, after you answer the question.

Major airport control towers have local radar. Just tell the guy you are on final for the runway. You don't need some long drawn out call telling him whether you're "doing the visual" or "on the ILS" or that you are (again) "with him".

Don't tie up center frequency trying to sound cool by asking ATC "...how ya doing today?" at the end of your check-in.

ATC gives you on-coming trafiic above 18,000' solely so you won't get startled by seeing the traffic so there is absolutely no need to call back ATC a minute later to tell him you have him in sight --he doesn't care!

STFU and get my checklist out......dont worry about what everyone else is doing. You need to concentrate on yourself.

This thread again. I might find some phrases gay, like "tally-ho" and "here we go"...but I don't get burned up enough about them to post a thread on it. As for "with you," I really never understood why anyone cares. I don't even hear it that much, and when I do, I sure as hell don't react and whine like a b**ch about it. I probably don't hear it much because I don't sit around waiting to hear it.

As for eight point five, I say the point below 10 because it's quick and just as effective and I've never heard anyone complain. I also may say ten five for flight level 190 because who gives a f**k.

Get laid.

" Ceeeeeter! ... heeeeeellllo! this is N1234, we are with ya levelin' at 41 ( 39,500 ) ... gettin bumped around pretty good.. and ride reports ahead? .... hows your day going? "

I prefer proper terminology.... but to know it drives somone THAT nuts... im up for chaning it up on occasion to make somoene squirm in their seat.

:)

" tally ho! "

Latest resources

Back