Extraneous useless radio phrases

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Cesna Cap....
That's the first time in 20 years that a pilot has given me a good reason for asking "how longs the final?" All those years of faming on DAL and no one ever gave a valid reason.
Now I'll answer it with a bit more cooperation.

It's nice if you just give us the fix we'll join final around, it's easier/quicker than giving us the milage (but it really doesn't matter)...

Stop asking how the rides are every time you check in!.......................Southwest.

I don't work for SWA but what's the problem with asking how the rides are? Maybe you'll start asking after you you get unexpected CAT and bounce a few heads off the ceiling in the back. It's prudent to ask. That info could dictate your altitude, speed, seat belt sign, crew meal, etc.. That's important sh*t.

>>>>I say "what do you need" simply as a courtesy, letting ATC know that I have the capability to speed up anytime to .86 in order to help them out.<<<

Do you think if you DON'T say "what do you need" he otherwise might not make a request? He just wants some information....period. With very few exceptions, controllers pretty much know what planes can do and "what do you need" doesn't inform him of anything anyway.

Why is my transponder code that was good when I took off 1 hour before now needs to be changed. Is it because now we are counted twice, when you give out numbers of aircraft that pass thru your center?

...on the meter??!!!

ATC: "Super Airline 345 descend and maintain 12,000, Atlanta altimeter is 30.12."

Super Airline 345: "Descend and maintain 12,000, 3012 ....ON THE METER"

"ON THE METER"??!!! ON THE METER???!! Are you kidding me? Maybe you'd put it, ummmmm, on the compass? or the airspeed indicator..... or on the wing? What a dork thing to say! Why in the world would you need to add "..on the meter" at the end of simply repeating the altimeter setting?

This is a new low. The sad thing is that these 'fad' phrases spread like wildfire, especially among the younger pilots.

A few months flying international speaking strictly ICAO responses would help. At least you can TRY to sound like you've been around the block.

Anyone who adds "...on the meter" in reading back the altimeter setting is truly a moron. Another extraneous, time wasting, unprofessional, totally useless, stupid, dorky phrase.

ATC: "Super Airline 345 descend and maintain 12,000, Atlanta altimeter is 30.12."

"ON THE METER"??!!! ON THE METER???!! Are you kidding me? Maybe you'd put it, ummmmm, on the compass? or the airspeed indicator..... or on the wing? What a dork thing to say! Why in the world would you need to add "..on the meter" at the end of simply repeating the altimeter setting?

This is a new low. The sad thing is that these 'fad' phrases spread like wildfire, especially among the younger pilots.

A few months flying international speaking strictly ICAO responses would help. At least you can TRY to sound like you've been around the block.

Anyone who adds "...on the meter" in reading back the altimeter setting is truly a moron. Another extraneous, time wasting, unprofessional, totally useless, stupid, dorky phrase.

....are you George Costanza?

I use "fish finder" myself!! What do you think of that??? :p

earl, not sure if you're question is sarcasm or serious, but you're getting your code changed because someone else in that centers computer already has the code that you're squawking assigned to them. is it that big of a pain to switch?

Latest resources

Back