• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Extraneous useless radio phrases

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We all know how stressful punching an FMS is...

Not all of us flying jets have glass and a FMS. I get tired of hearing, "punch it in and let me know how it looks." Punch it into what, the VOR? I know ATC can be a difficult job, and we respect you guys very much, but please don't make assumptions like that.

Reminds me of the old quote, "When a pilot makes a mistake the pilot dies, when a controller makes a mistake the pilot dies."

Don't tie up center frequency trying to sound cool by asking ATC "...how ya doing today?" at the end of your check-in.

good thing you weren't up in the OSH sector when PR and Knute were working it...that always made for a good day when you heard those guys working!

However, I do agree...if the freq is busy, keep it simple and professional!

Whats with the "in sequence" call? Its like saying "I'm in line, in line".

I don't get it.

Then again the other part of my brain that I save for non flying duties like bangin chicks and drinking beer yearns for the Little John school of communication:

Atc: N12345 hold short of 28R
Me: "OK!"

Atc: N12345 cleared for takeoff 28R
Me: "YEAH!"

Atc: N12345 contact departure
Me: "WHAT?!"

Atc: N12345 contact departure
Me: "OK!"

If any of you need a Little John reference here is one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwC0CJGYGao&feature=related

Are you seriously this uptight about an extra work or two in a transmission? Its called brining a bit of humanity into a sometimes drab world! Obviously in a busy sector you should be as brief and concise as possible, but come on! Please tell me you fly single pilot Mach80!

Cesna Cap....
That's the first time in 20 years that a pilot has given me a good reason for asking "how longs the final?" All those years of faming on DAL and no one ever gave a valid reason.
Now I'll answer it with a bit more cooperation.

Reason number 397 why controllers should be back in the jumpseats again.

Reason number 397 why controllers should be back in the jumpseats again.
Funny. Just last night there was a discussion in the ATL Tower Cab about just that. Even though we (controllers) conincidentally used the up to 8 fams per year we were allotted to travel to someplace we wanted to go, I left each trip with some newfound value and understanding. I ALWAYS tooks something away from those experinces.....some good, some bad, but I ALWAYS learned something that has helped me to be a better controller!

Latest resources

Back