• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DAL/NWA SLI Hearings in a nutshell

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I will lose around 1% or 150ish numbers vs. straight percentage integration. How much of a % bump has the bottom DAL guy gotten to suddenly have ~500 pilots stapled behind him? Again, it's the 2000 and 2001 guys that are the big losers with this method.

How do you do percentage-wise? Do you gain much? I keep hearing everyone within 1-2%, but it seems to depend where you are on the list.

By the way I love your screenname. Too many Dawgs fans around here.

Wasn't my point.

My point is a newhire DAL pilot only has "expectations" of flying a 767 because no one senior to him bid that position (or maybe by default as you point out because you needed to staff quickly; either way it has created artificial expectations due to this unique scenario.)

I disagree with your assessment. It is unlikely that every pilot is going to bid a larger piece of equipment just because they can hold it.

With that being said, Delta has hired enough pilots to staff every M88 position system wide plus most of the ATL 737 positions. Due to the number of pilots who will not bid off the M88 or 737 due to their "equipment seinority" there is no reason why newhires shouldn't be holding 767.

Just did the math:

To answer ugasucks' question. The first NWA staple pilot will lose 4.61%, and it will gradually get better the farther down the list. That's a pretty hard spank.

Just did the math:

To answer ugasucks' question. The first NWA staple pilot will lose 4.61%, and it will gradually get better the farther down the list. That's a pretty hard spank.

You think that's a hard spank, that's not even the worst of it. Do the math 10 years from now. Everyone on here is debating about what the SLI looks like tomorrow. As lopsided as the DAL proposal is tomorrow say with your figure of -4.61% for the NWA guy, his relitave seniority gets significantly worse as time goes on, while the DAL guys only gets better.

I don't think anyone should be stapled from either side. The integration regardless of the format, must go all the way through. The guys that are getting spanked the hardest are 2000 and 2001 NWA guys with several hundred 2007-08 DAL hires in front of them.

I'm not arguing for DOH, but if the relative integration really was relative, they wouldn't be losing out so badly. By doing this proposed integration + staple, most NWA guys are losing 1-2%, while DAL guys potentially gain 1-2%. When applied to 12,500+ pilots that equals several hundred numbers. Or another way of looking at it: working holidays, winter vacations, etc. . . . . 300-400 numbers is a very big deal. Just because it may only be 2.5% doesn't make it right.

Your cargo ops is bleeding money, and we know the world economy is slowing, so very good chance the 742s will go away soon. That equals 350 pilots. IF you don't get the 787s you were planning, then where would those go? We know some of the DC9s are going away. That will also add to the number of people who might get affected. As far as I know, we aren't parking any extra airplanes at DL, and even with the Boeing strike, we should get new 777s and more 737-700s fairly quick after the strike ends. So, we are expanding, and we know you are contracting. Is it fair to any DL pilots to lose their jobs (even temporarily) when they interviewed and were hired at an airline in expansion mode? Serious questions here. You can't just blend the lists and possibly furlough people who never signed up for that. Sorry.

Bye Bye--General Lee

You think that's a hard spank, that's not even the worst of it. Do the math 10 years from now. Everyone on here is debating about what the SLI looks like tomorrow. As lopsided as the DAL proposal is tomorrow say with your figure of -4.61% for the NWA guy, his relitave seniority gets significantly worse as time goes on, while the DAL guys only gets better.

We are retiring just as many pilots as you are, but 5 years after. You thought they would all be gone soon (at age 60 initially), but with this economy tanking and the stockmarket and 401Ks lowering in value, those guys may not retire until closer to 65. That throws every plan off. You can't say that you "would have benefited" since nobody will for awhile. Eventually, every one of those senior guys will retire, on both sides, and we will ALL move up. Look at USAir East and how that arbitration was handled. It was very close to relative seniority, with the top 500 all USAir East due to a different type of flying (INTL). We have almost the same thing, except the bottom 400 would be all NWA, since those pilots are flying or could fly planes that may go away sooner than later. (or are in the "number" of jobs for those planes---ie ANC=350 pilots, the DC9s=50 or more)

Bye Bye--General Lee

We are retiring just as many pilots as you are, but 5 years after. You thought they would all be gone soon (at age 60 initially), but with this economy tanking and the stockmarket and 401Ks lowering in value, those guys may not retire until closer to 65. That throws every plan off. You can't say that you "would have benefited" since nobody will for awhile. Eventually, every one of those senior guys will retire, on both sides, and we will ALL move up. Look at USAir East and how that arbitration was handled. It was very close to relative seniority, with the top 500 all USAir East due to a different type of flying (INTL). We have almost the same thing, except the bottom 400 would be all NWA, since those pilots are flying or could fly planes that may go away sooner than later. (or are in the "number" of jobs for those planes---ie ANC=350 pilots, the DC9s=50 or more)

Bye Bye--General Lee

General beat me to it. Delta guys gain from NWA retirements and 5 years later, NWA guys benefit from DAL retirements.

Your cargo ops is bleeding money, and we know the world economy is slowing, so very good chance the 742s will go away soon. That equals 350 pilots. IF you don't get the 787s you were planning, then where would those go? We know some of the DC9s are going away. That will also add to the number of people who might get affected. As far as I know, we aren't parking any extra airplanes at DL, and even with the Boeing strike, we should get new 777s and more 737-700s fairly quick after the strike ends. So, we are expanding, and we know you are contracting. Is it fair to any DL pilots to lose their jobs (even temporarily) when they interviewed and were hired at an airline in expansion mode? Serious questions here. You can't just blend the lists and possibly furlough people who never signed up for that. Sorry.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Exactly why this will end up decided by the arbitrators.

I love how you keep telling yourself the same old story about the -9's and -200's. That is not the only factor at play here, and does not justify us paying for the rest of our careers with a staple.

Will you at least concede the point that NWA management is currently, and has been for a long time, making decisions knowing that they will be the New Delta soon?

It is very likely that the "New" management team has decided not to make fleet adjustments at NWA until after the merger to make the logistics easier. This keeps financing, training, maintenance, integration, etc much simpler if fleet adjustments are made post-merger. NWA is not shrinking into oblivion, and would have been just fine on our own. Is it fair that we should take a staple because our (read New Delta) new management doesn't want to replace anything until post-merger??

If you're making assumptions that the -200's (which to my knowledge have not been announced) and -9's were going to go away unreplaced, then you need to give some thought as to why that might be.

Nice opener though, I like where this is going . . . . :)

Last edited:
Your cargo ops is bleeding money, and we know the world economy is slowing, so very good chance the 742s will go away soon....So, we are expanding, and we know you are contracting.

Oh, the slowing world economy only impacts NWA?

... and even with the Boeing strike, we should get new 777s and more 737-700s fairly quick after the strike ends.

How are those talks going over at Boeing?

Is it fair to any DL pilots to lose their jobs (even temporarily) when they interviewed and were hired at an airline in expansion mode? Serious questions here. You can't just blend the lists and possibly furlough people who never signed up for that.

I thought there was a no furlough clause, what happened to that?

Latest resources

Back