• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DAL/NWA SLI Hearings in a nutshell

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Since the most junior captain position should pay more than the most senior fo position. And all the small twin jets......md-80 thru 90 series, dc-9 all series, 737 all series and airbus 318-321(dont know if that is all the airbus series) should pay the same. The 757 and like powered should pay the same. 767 and a-330 should pay the same and 777 and 747 should pay the same and then if there ever is a 787 it would fit in there somewhere.....all out mock rebid where the senior guys go to the high pay airplanes and so on all the way down to the lowest pay and least senior....then ratio that list.....do a five year fence and call it good........nah that is too easy

you keep asking DOH questions? What does a persons hire date matter?

If you want to argue about someone at NWA who is on the DC-9 and has career expectations of X being behind a Delta pilot who is on the 767 but has a career expectation of Y, that is a valid arguement.

DOH doesn't matter. The number one Delta pilot is the number one Delta pilot, just as the number one NWA pilot is the number one NWA pilot. Doesn't matter when either one was hired.

I just don't think that a 01 new hire that was furloughed and struggled to come back should be put behind a 2007. No disrespect to the DAL 2007 hire. I have a couple of buddies hired in 2007.

To say that this should be based on what the airline would look like if the merger does not go through is just pure bias. Neither pilot group should suffer the loss. I would hope that senior guys will leave and create a need for pilots

Do you think it is fair that a 01 new hire at NWA to be below a 2007 new hire at DAL.
I do. Looking at the numbers it seems that only 3.9% of the NWA list was hired 07-08 but 9.1% of the DAL list was hired in the same years.

Not saying its going to happen, but if I were a 01 NWA hire, I'd brace myself for the fact that I MIGHT be junior to a 07 DAL hire.

ANd probably the 99 and 2000 hires as well. It is all about ratio base on equipment of similar carriers. To further clarify. USAir and Am West had different types of service and airplanes, not just number of those aircraft. (Top positions to US Air East). It is all about ratio base upon equiptment.

Noone is talking about the NWA 2001 hire going from 2 or 3 year pay to 8 or 9 yr pay when he comes over to the delta contract

And how long do you estimate this new hire in the 767 to make captain of the 767?

We supposedly have a 1997 hire as a Captain on the 767 in LA. What is the largest plane a 1997 hire at NWA hold in the left seat? The DC9. There you go. And, they are slowly going away, along with 10 of your 757s that just went to Fedex, not the desert.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I just don't think that a 01 new hire that was furloughed and struggled to come back should be put behind a 2007. No disrespect to the DAL 2007 hire. I have a couple of buddies hired in 2007.

To say that this should be based on what the airline would look like if the merger does not go through is just pure bias. Neither pilot group should suffer the loss. I would hope that senior guys will leave and create a need for pilots

How about a 17 year USAir Eastie getting put next to a 3 year guy at AWA? It happened. It's called not getting a windfall. If you are in the bottom 20% of one company, then you should be in the bottom 20% of a merged company. But, the USAir East guys also got the top 500 spots of the merged company because of "special circumstances"---like having an INTL operation, something AWA didn't have. Well, NWA has something DAL doesn't currently have----planes heading for the boneyard. The ANC ops is probably going away very quickly, and we all know that. Also, some of the DC9s are going away (not all, but some), and that has to be taken into account. It is not like the decision to park them is being made after the DCC, it has been made BEFORE the SLI and DCC. We all know about it. The ANC ops has about 350 pilots total, and the DC9 will be overstaffed after some are parked. Career expectations for those pilots includes a furlough, and hopefully that doesn't happen in the end, but unfortunately those guys will get the short end. I doubt though that they will be furloughed, but there is the possibility.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Noone is talking about the NWA 2001 hire going from 2 or 3 year pay to 8 or 9 yr pay when he comes over to the delta contract

Yes, all of those furloughed NWA guys will probably get that pay bump to include those furloughed years. That sounds like a good deal for them.

Bye Bye--General Lee

That may be a compromise position, super. The only problem would be when the -9's/-200's actually leave, and furloughs were required, the bottom of the list would furlough out of seniority order. (DL pilots being protected by a fence, per your suggestion) This would draw out a lot of gnashing of teeth on the NW side, even, I suspect, if it had been agreed to in writing previously...maybe not. In any event, there is no furloughing for 24 mos. after DCC as a strict result of the merger...New can of worms...would NW have got rid of them as a stand alone? -yes, eventually, obviously. -Or will their demise only come as a result of the merger? The bottom line is IF, and much more likely WHEN, the NW -9's go away for whatever reason under the sun, are not replaced, and whether it would have happened as a stand alone or as a result of DL getting rid of an uneconomical liability that was brought over to the new company by NW, the Delta pilots should be protected from those job losses... I think you've agreed with this premiss, it is just a matter of executing the appropriate protections. FWIW, I agree with you that fences for as long as the -9's are around, would be more appropriate than stapling the bottom 400.---(I say that at great risk from my brother Delta pilots on this forum-maybe I should get a medal or a certificate or something for my courageous stand;))

You should get a medal and i honestly appreciate the honest discussion. Cheers to a middle ground :beer:

Latest resources

Back