• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DAL/NWA SLI Hearings in a nutshell

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NWA's whole rebuttal is what if. Delta's case is what IS. There is a huge difference. Your 15 minutes are over newbie.

Yeah and DALPA's sudden assumption of parking DC9s and 747-200's immediately isnt a what if? There is NO actual concrete publication from the company that those planes are getting parked right now. DAL has mentioned the -9's to stick around till 2012 and some random talks about DELTAS plans for the 747-200s being retired at some point but NWA hasnt said they are parking all the 200's. Should we take the brunt because YOUR (soon our) company MAY reduce or retire those planes POST merger?

Oh and thanks for the heads up on the 15 minute thingy oh super senior crusty Delta pilot :p Loosen those double breasted buttons up puffy, lets at least attempt to keep this a somewhat intelligent debate and not an unproductive flame fest. Thanks for your help.

It was stated by a Delta manager today, publicly, that the -200s are going away. There goes some of that super duper wowsy wubsy flying...and with them, those super duper premium jobs.

Again decisions YOUR current management makes post merger should equally be OUR problem. Pre-merger those planes had no definite date of retirement until the 787 was to arrive as far as NWA was concerned.

NWA's whole rebuttal is what if. Delta's case is what IS. There is a huge difference. Your 15 minutes are over newbie.

Fortunately you don't get to decide what "fact" is or is not. If you think you can "read" the arbitrators you are in for a surprise.

All your back slapping and self congratulating is a little premature - If you think you are actually going to get that proposed list or anything remotely close I think you need to be drug tested.

Here's a hint - your proposed list, or an equivalently lopsided one to our favor would result in the operational implosion - think NWA Roberts/USAir acrimony several orders of magnitude. The arbitrators know this, as does RA, Moak and Prater.

Despite the rhetoric this is an opener - risky move by DALPA as we are not in negotiations.

I'll enjoy seeing you eat crow

Last edited:
DAL pilots can have protection from "Assumed" DC9 parkings over the next 4 years without Stapling the bottom 10% of NWA pilots below them for the rest of their careers. Fence it up as a protection but a staple of those pilots because DAL pilots want near term protection for "what ifs" doesnt warrant long term seniority loss for the NWA pilots.
That may be a compromise position, super. The only problem would be when the -9's/-200's actually leave, and furloughs were required, the bottom of the list would furlough out of seniority order. (DL pilots being protected by a fence, per your suggestion) This would draw out a lot of gnashing of teeth on the NW side, even, I suspect, if it had been agreed to in writing previously...maybe not. In any event, there is no furloughing for 24 mos. after DCC as a strict result of the merger...New can of worms...would NW have got rid of them as a stand alone? -yes, eventually, obviously. -Or will their demise only come as a result of the merger? The bottom line is IF, and much more likely WHEN, the NW -9's go away for whatever reason under the sun, are not replaced, and whether it would have happened as a stand alone or as a result of DL getting rid of an uneconomical liability that was brought over to the new company by NW, the Delta pilots should be protected from those job losses... I think you've agreed with this premiss, it is just a matter of executing the appropriate protections. FWIW, I agree with you that fences for as long as the -9's are around, would be more appropriate than stapling the bottom 400.---(I say that at great risk from my brother Delta pilots on this forum-maybe I should get a medal or a certificate or something for my courageous stand;))

We did keep some rules though, and they are now extended to you, whether you like them or not (like manning rules to boost your Captain numbers on flights over 12 hours).

Bye Bye--General Lee

Uhm....actually they are not extended to us. At least not for the purpose of SLI. Take a read of the arbritation, last day, and see what your captain on the stand has to say about the staffing as it pertains to the NWA aircraft. So, thanks for extending the benefit but not actually accounting for it in the SLI. :cool:

FWIW, I agree with you that fences for as long as the -9's are around, would be more appropriate than stapling the bottom 400.---(I say that at great risk from my brother Delta pilots on this forum-maybe I should get a medal or a certificate or something for my courageous stand;))

One of the more reasonable DAL positions I've seen over this. Sounds like a much more middle ground solution which is probably close to where we'll end up.

Stapling our bottom 10% just because "DC-9's are old and will probably go away soon" sounds as ridiculous to us as DOH because "our pilots are old and will go away soon" does to you guys.

It's getting cliche but seniority is forever. If your concerns about near-term furloughs can be alleviated without a long-term punishment (staple) incurred by our side, it should be explored. Fences around the -9's and out of seniority furloughs (IF they ever were to happen) due to the crusty old -9's may be good compromise.

That is simplistic, but it is because it is the most junior equipment. I do not see and 88 drivers bidding to it.

Superpilot, Have you done the math, what % would you be on the proposed list and what percent are you on the NWA list now. So if 400 NW guys aren't on the bottom, do you think 400 Delta guys should be?

Superpilot, Have you done the math, what % would you be on the proposed list and what percent are you on the NWA list now. So if 400 NW guys aren't on the bottom, do you think 400 Delta guys should be?

I don't think anyone should be stapled from either side. The integration regardless of the format, must go all the way through. The guys that are getting spanked the hardest are 2000 and 2001 NWA guys with several hundred 2007-08 DAL hires in front of them.

I'm not arguing for DOH, but if the relative integration really was relative, they wouldn't be losing out so badly. By doing this proposed integration + staple, most NWA guys are losing 1-2%, while DAL guys potentially gain 1-2%. When applied to 12,500+ pilots that equals several hundred numbers. Or another way of looking at it: working holidays, winter vacations, etc. . . . . 300-400 numbers is a very big deal. Just because it may only be 2.5% doesn't make it right.

So what is the % for you, I keep hearing about guys losing 2 to 3 % but what about you or superpilot, have you done the math. What happens if yall get rid of the 200's which our company has said they are not in the plan, then what. Not saying staple but what is fair if we are suppose to grow and you are suppose to shrink?

Latest resources

Back