• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DAL/NWA SLI Hearings in a nutshell

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DAL and NWA both are taking delivery delays next year due to the strike at boeing​

By Marilyn Adams, USA TODAY
One month after more than 26,000 Boeing (BA) commercial aircraft workers walked off their jobs, the strike at the world's top-selling plane maker is starting to hurt its airline customers and suppliers.
Members of Boeing's International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers walked out of factories in Washington, Oregon and Kansas on Sept. 6 after contract talks broke down over job security and pay. It's the third strike by Boeing's machinists in 13 years.
No negotiations are scheduled. Boeing says it offered the union the richest contract in the industry, including pay raises for the next three years and a richer pension plan. Union leaders disagree.

Five factories have been idle for a month, and the impact is beginning to be felt. During the third quarter, Boeing delivered only 84 planes, down from 109 in the year-ago quarter. The strike is affecting assembly of Boeing's new 787 Dreamliner — already a year behind schedule — along with 737s, 777s, 767s, and 747s.
Delta Air Lines (DAL), the USA's No. 3 carrier, was expecting this fall to receive four long-range Boeing 777s and 737-700s, for a total of 10 new jets this year. "All I can tell you is we are expecting some delay in our deliveries," Delta spokeswoman Betsy Talton said

Yes, and all of them are in or near final production. If this strike is ended sooner rather than later, most of these will have minimal delay.

There are other things you have to consider, like current pay, number of widebodies, future orders, and career expectations with regard to the DC9s and 742s. Sorry, DOH has nothing to do with this, and the USAir East guys learned that quick. Our list was relative seniority along with protection for our junior guys if the 742s and some DC9s were parked (sounds very plausible)---hence the bottom 400 all NWA. It would NOT be fair for any of our people to be furloughed thanks to NWA planes going away. And even if we have nobody furloughed, the list should still reflect that possibility. The Nicelau award had the top 500 all USAir East because of a certain type of flying that was "different" to AWA's, and the bottom 400 here reflect the possibility of a furlough.(very very good chance the cargo ops plus the 742s are bye bye soon)

Bye Bye--General Lee

DAL pilots can have protection from "Assumed" DC9 parkings over the next 4 years without Stapling the bottom 10% of NWA pilots below them for the rest of their careers. Fence it up as a protection but a staple of those pilots because DAL pilots want near term protection for "what ifs" doesnt warrant long term seniority loss for the NWA pilots.

Yes, and all of them are in or near final production. If this strike is ended sooner rather than later, most of these will have minimal delay.

Notice that the "What ifs" are always assumed to have positive outcomes if it involves the Delta side, yet the "what ifs" for the NWA side are always assumed worst case scenario as far as the Delta side is concerned? Wonder why :confused:

Not true. Fact is that the 742's and DC-9's are the oldest in the fleet. The MD-88 is next along with the 320.
It is wise to assume that the two airframes that are the oldest are going to leave the soonest. In addition this, the DAL fleet plan has the 88 staying to 2018. Phase out at 2015 if fuel goes North of 150 again.

What exactly do you mean? Did not look at all areas of dalpas proposed sli closely except for mine. Doh I am roughly 6800, straigh percentage 7300(500 with dohs junior to me now senior) and dalpas stovepipe about 7800(almost 1100 junior, now senior). Out of my hands.

And if you look closely at the fleets and then take this SLI and marry up each position with the next person in line you will be able to be in the same relative position in your equipment that you could hold today, assuming everyone bid the most senior position.

You obviously know this, but many other things such as vacation, days/holidays off, etc are affected by seniority. To tell Cobra that his losing 1100 numbers is fine because he will keep his seat doesn't show the whole picture.

You guys keep mentioning it, but has there been a phasing out date for the -200's? I know there's been some talk of losing some cargo contracts, but I haven't heard anything concrete about the fleet being parked.

This situation is so dynamic, and much of NWA's management moves have been affected by this merger. They're now planning based on what the new DAL wants (whether anyone will admit it or not, we're still two separate entities right???) This has been going on since long before the merger was officially announced.

One could argue (and I will be surprised if our lawyers don't) that our management has been intentionally NOT replacing the -9 because they know/knew the merger was coming.

No one knows what the standalone NWA plan would have been without the merger because they've known, since long before we have, that this merger was coming. You can argue all day long that we're shrinking down to nothing, and I can just as easily say that if it weren't for Delta, we would already have a replacement ordered.

Tell me, was it NWA that didn't want the C-Series jet, or was it new DAL management that was actually making the call? I know what the press release said, but that was after the merger had been announced right?

Just something to think about. Northwest would have been just fine (probably without furloughing 500 pilots) without this merger, and to staple based on "what might be" is not right. I have faith that the arbitrators will see this.

Notice that the "What ifs" are always assumed to have positive outcomes if it involves the Delta side, yet the "what ifs" for the NWA side are always assumed worst case scenario as far as the Delta side is concerned? Wonder why :confused:

NWA's whole rebuttal is what if. Delta's case is what IS. There is a huge difference. Your 15 minutes are over newbie.

You obviously know this, but many other things such as vacation, days/holidays off, etc are affected by seniority. To tell Cobra that his losing 1100 numbers is fine because he will keep his seat doesn't show the whole picture.

You guys keep mentioning it, but has there been a phasing out date for the -200's? I know there's been some talk of losing some cargo contracts, but I haven't heard anything concrete about the fleet being parked.

It was stated by a Delta manager today, publicly, that the -200s are going away. There goes some of that super duper wowsy wubsy flying...and with them, those super duper premium jobs.

Latest resources

Back