• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DAL/NWA SLI Hearings in a nutshell

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why should the -9 guys be integrated with the 88 guys. When they park the 9's and furlough 450 guys in the next two years there would be 100 NWA guys furloughed and 350 DAL guys. DAL plan is for DC9s to be around till 2012 Pre merger career expectations are a big part of this deal and no pre merger Delta guy should be furloughed as a result of a shrinking NWA DC-9 fleet. Then would you agree that i should be 45% on the list in the next 10-12 years. Afterall that was my pre-merger expectation ;). That is the whole reason for two days of testimony on the -9 and how it is being replaced by Compass and Mesaba flying. Thats against OUR scope in the new contract and our previous scope language. Pre-merger Delta guys shouldn't take the hit for that anymore than we should get the benefit for the NWA retirements.

Waiting for the middle ground.... :)

Stapling the bottom 400 NWA pilots, putting 99 NWA hires behind 2007 DAL hires and 85 NWA hires behind 88 DAL hires is not a "realistic" goal :nuts: . Its ridiculous and i am sure the arbitratiors will see right though the BS that both sides will try and present.

The arbitrators will see what the value of each position brought to the merger is and award accordingly. The fact is that a DC-9 F/O position will be the least paying job, on the oldest airframe, with the shortest range in the combined fleet and the DAL '88 hire brings an " extra special super premium wide bodied" captain position to the merger and the NWA '85 hire only brings a "super premium" captain position.

Preserving DOH seniority is not a goal of ALPA merger policy, but preserving status is, so I please explain the relevance of an 88 hire vs a 85 hire outside of the "status" their seniority number at their airline brings to the merger.

Last edited:
Superpilot:

Really, why should Delta pilots be effected at all by the fate of the DC9?

What is your expectation and how high a price should I be expected to pay to protect you from your own aircraft?

In my view it is only logical that as many DC9 pilots as there are, that an equal number of those pilots are on the bottom of the list.

Last edited:
I thought that the list was very fair.
And that's exactly why it is in arbitration. I'm sure the NWA starting proposal will look just as onerous to you as the DAL proposal looks to me. It's all a matter of perspective.

I would guess you might not have reviewed your NWALPA proposal, since it looked like a term paper done the night before it was due.

What was it that caused it to look so bad? The formatting? Length? Poor spelling? Weak grammar?

As far as what you deserve, you should get what your future fleet plan would look like in two years, and yours is losing planes.

If that is what you believe, then I why should all of the current DC-9 pilots be placed at the end of the list? I haven't read anywhere that we are loosing all of the DC-9's in the next 2 years, s

Our retirements will match yours in 5 years, and you getting credit for yours will equal what we should get for ours. So, that would be a wash there.

Would PAM spit out numbers that back up this theory?

Your older pilots will leave with a frozen pension, and that is significant, since you got our better rules (and pay---even though you lost some things like minimum hours and time and a half after 80 hours), and we don't get a pension, ever.

I don't get a pension either, nope zero. Oh, by the way, this merger was not intended to fix the fact that your senior DAL brothers and sisters left early during bk and thus bankrupted your pension plan. We shouldn't have to pay for that, just like you shouldn't have to fix the red/green issue.

We will agree to disagree. I side with FDJ2. As he states pre-merger expectations need to be kept and this proposal does that.
I can hold a line on the ER in ATL, JFK and I think LAX. Can any 07 or 08 hire at NWA do that. Can an 01 hire do that? I am not sure. (I am not talking about SO positions)

Superpilot:

Really, why should Delta pilots be effected at all by the fate of the DC9?

What is your expectation and how high a price should I be expected to pay to protect you from your own aircraft?

In my view it is only logical that as many DC9 pilots as there are, that an equal number of those pilots are on the bottom of the list.

As far as we know the DC9s arent going anywhere for another 4 years in which time a replacement will be decided upon. You want protection from that and we want protection for our Career expectations. My personal expectation as well as most of our list were scheduled to move rapidly up the list in the coming years while gaining massive amounts of seniority below us. Your sides list protects ONLY the DAL side on "expectations", which is expected. When ours comes out you will also say WTF, thats just how this goes. Your sides list proposal isnt "fair" unless you are a DAL pilot. Reverse this and pretend for a second you were on the other side and it is easy to see the lopsidedness. Stapling the bottom 10% of the NWA list because of your assumptions of what could happen wont hold water. It also doesnt protect career expectations for the majority of the NWA pilots. (Yes we have expectations even though you want to pretend we would have just shrunk to nothing while never ordering another aircraft. :rolleyes:)

I know why your side is defending this "proposal" i mean why not, its a prime example of a seniority grab for your pilots.

We will agree to disagree. I side with FDJ2. As he states pre-merger expectations need to be kept and this proposal does that.
I can hold a line on the ER in ATL, JFK and I think LAX. Can any 07 or 08 hire at NWA do that. Can an 01 hire do that? I am not sure. (I am not talking about SO positions)

Pre-merger expectations may show on that list for DAL pilots but it absolutely does not for NWA pilots. Your "right now" isnt a clear representation of what our expectations are. Stapling 400 NWA pilots behind the last DAL pilot doesnt protect the career expectations of 10% of the NWA list. Does that seem fair? Did that last DAL pilot have better "Career or Pre-merger expectations" than those 400 pilots? The whole thing is a seniority grab at best.

I agree with you most of the time and like your level-headed points, but here you're back to the old argument again. You guys have been explaining that this is not how the integration is being determined.

Once again, for those not paying attention: new DAL pilots are flying the 767 because more senior guys don't want it. NWA pilots have different values as a group. I was told a few posts ago that it doesn't matter what you "are" holding, DAL's position is what you "could" hold if everyone bid the most senior position available to them. True or not???

What was it that caused it to look so bad? The formatting? Length? Poor spelling? Weak grammar?
Probably all of the above. Shoddy.

If that is what you believe, then I why should all of the current DC-9 pilots be placed at the end of the list? I haven't read anywhere that we are loosing all of the DC-9's in the next 2 years, s

It is the lowest paid plane, and will be exiting the fleet first. Yes, before the MD88s. Nobody can say otherwise. Also, before the DL merger plan the NWA plan had more of your DC9s leaving. That gave carreer expectations, and the 742 fleet aint looking good either.

Would PAM spit out numbers that back up this theory?

We all know how many pilots will leave, it is in the computer. When they leave, is another question, which actually hurt your cause. We all knew people would have to leave by age 60, so that was easy to see. Now, you can't claim that, since they COULD stay now until 65, and with this bad economy, more may. Nobody can say "when" you were going to benefit now, since nobody knows for sure when they will leave. You can guess, I guess.

I don't get a pension either, nope zero. Oh, by the way, this merger was not intended to fix the fact that your senior DAL brothers and sisters left early during bk and thus bankrupted your pension plan. We shouldn't have to pay for that, just like you shouldn't have to fix the red/green issue.

Great, some of you join the rest of us. Not all of you, though, especially the senior. And yes, a lot of people left early, along with a lot of our large airplanes at the same time.(Md11s, 762s, and plenty of 737s) Not many benefited from that at all, except not to get furloughed. We did keep some rules though, and they are now extended to you, whether you like them or not (like manning rules to boost your Captain numbers on flights over 12 hours).

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back