• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL System Bid is out

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Kind of torn here. I'm EWR 777 FO but not senior enough to hold it if displaced. So choices are 757 at ~84% currently or 737 at ~58%. I like the 756 flying better I think, but the schedules are pretty bad at that seniority.

Anyone flown both at CAL have any input?
Were you previously trained on the 737 or the 756? The reason I ask is I would bid the one that I have NOT been previously trained on. That way they have to do the long course, and there is a chance that they would not get you to training before the next bid comes out, which will hopefully put you back on the triple.

Good luck.

Was pleasantly surprised that my little base(IAH B756) is actually growing a bit for FO's due t the LGW flying we are getting.

Were you previously trained on the 737 or the 756? The reason I ask is I would bid the one that I have NOT been previously trained on. That way they have to do the long course, and there is a chance that they would not get you to training before the next bid comes out, which will hopefully put you back on the triple.

Good luck.

There are no more long courses unless you are a new hire or coming of years of LTD. Once typed at CAL on any Boeing, you are automatically eligible for a shorter Boeing to Boeing course.

There are no more long courses unless you are a new hire or coming of years of LTD. Once typed at CAL on any Boeing, you are automatically eligible for a shorter Boeing to Boeing course.

I haven't flown either previously. How long is boeing to boeing training (without IOE) around 4-5 weeks?

True, but if you have been through the full course within the last 6 years they will put you through an expedited course. I was furloughed for 3 years off the 737 when I was recalled training was about a week and 1/2 vs. 4 to 5 weeks for the boeing to boeing.

So, the course is much shorter if you have already been typed on the plane by CAL.

What do the vacancies for FO mean?

Do they need to hire into those?

What does the system wide thing mean for hiring in 2008?

System wide:

37 Captain displacements

245 FO Vacancies

2 CLE and 3 GUM CA vacancies, all other base and fleet CAs are reduced.

777FO: 7 EWR vacancies and 10 reductions in IAH.

737FO: 95 EWR and 88 IAH vacancies. None in CLE, 3 in GUM

757FO: 35 EWR and 27 IAH vacancies.

I haven't flown either previously. How long is boeing to boeing training (without IOE) around 4-5 weeks?

Yep.

What do the vacancies for FO mean?

Do they need to hire into those?

What does the system wide thing mean for hiring in 2008?

New hires. Yep. Hiring at least through the end of this spring.

Like said above Cal once typed in one of the Boeing aircraft whether its the 777 or 737 Boeing to Boeing is approximately 30 days exactly.

just got the phone call yesterday! Christi told me to expect feb 12th class all 737, then today was offered feb 5th class I would be 2nd in class seniority and they will have 3 or 4 756 to give out. I obviously took the upgrade in seniority.

I will be commuting from DFW, what would give me the best commutable schedule and quicker path to IAH? (IAH is drivable if necessary)

By the way I was sitting on the fence on wether to leave my cushy job before the interview but the koolaid was good, not to mention all the CAL folks that cheered me on. I was definately treated well so far.

Latest resources

Back