• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

APA Pilots polled. No to age 60.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My pop was a Local 1 member for 31 years. This was during the "cobra" days. I went out to the picket line a few times when I was a kid.

Back then they were pretty hard core. He told me some stories about "special projects" committees....

About 100-110 in attendance. Looked to be about a dozen "office holders" there. There are about 2,000 in Council 1 of ALPA.

5% is average. Is it effective or even representative?

1. Our "point man" on the issue for NWA pilots had just passed away the day before the LEC meeting, following an accident in his home. He was our EVP, Captain Darryl Snider. A good man. His untimely death is a huge loss for NWA pilots and ALPA.

I heard. My regards. A true loss.....

2. The wishes of the NWA MEC had not changed, which is to support the conintinuation of Age 60.

Copy that...

3. A resolution calling for an ALPA-wide effort to oppose the NPRM was before the MEC.

politcal action.... good stuff

4. Members were encouraged to contact their legislators on the issue.

even better.... how many do you think actually will?

Regards...

It pains me to say it, I wish ALPA was better, but if UAL had bought TWA, no TWA pilots would be flying for them. And ALPA would have let it go without a peep!
I would have rather taken my chances with the ALPA Merger Policy and binding arbitration. However, this may be the most illustrative example of how the APA will fight for its members while ALPA (National) acts in its own best interest.

I would have rather taken my chances with the ALPA Merger Policy and binding arbitration. However, this may be the most illustrative example of how the APA will fight for its members while ALPA (National) acts in its own best interest.

ALPA has forgotten it represents pilots. ALPA only represents ALPA.

APA would be all for changing the age 60 rule if American had terminated their A plan--they don't care a fig for the travelling public-just follow the money.

Airfogey

Now would be an interesting time for the APA to have a membership drive in an effort to become the nation's largest pilot union. I doubt they'll ever have a more contentious issue to run a campaign on.

They'd have my vote.

BC

Fer sher! Like those geniuses at China Air, wtih their super-duper engine-securing seatbelts? Or maybe those keen decision-makers at British Airways who value avoiding payouts to pax if the flight doesn't get them home quickly...so they flog a Whale from LAX to Ooops!...short-of-the-destination?

We need to be more like them?---->No, we're going to do it our way...I really don't think our FAA has anything to do with the China Air seatbelts. BTW, Americans fly on China Air and BA every single day. They could care less about seat belts on engines or Whale flogging (?).

Cool! Sign me up for universal health care, the Queen on our money, and nary a glimpse of the Stanley Cup in many years...and we'll talk.---You can have all that stuff. The ALPA President already has his name on a contract that allows pilots to fly up to age 65. Like it or not, it's there. If you want Queens on your money, or Universal Health Care...write your congressman.

"But Mom! Stevie has a bigger piece of pie than me!" is not a valid argument for a change that would disrupt the industry.---> HOW did a piece of pie get into all this? Did someone make that comment?

I agree...we shouldn't do it, "just because". But the change has happened, it is in the US of A airspace every day, and it is the ICAO age change that is driving this....

The safest mode of transportation on this blue marble is flying on a Part 121 airliner in the United States of America.
Ain't broke...don't "fix" it.

You already know where the FAA Administrator stands on this. And she has the support of her superiors. Discussions on FI are fun...but they carry no weight with the DC crowd.

Last edited:
Idle chit-chat in the immigration line with a Lufthansa 747 CA.

Me: You guys on the Age 65 plan with the EU?

LH CA: No way, LH is age 60, Germany is age 60, the union doesn't want it changed, same for company and the goverment.............I'm out at 53, the average retirement age is 55.

Take it for what it's worth. Both of us had been up all night and were 20 deep in line. I don't know the exact info of what they have over there.

APA would be all for changing the age 60 rule if American had terminated their A plan--they don't care a fig for the travelling public-just follow the money. (emphasis added)

Illustrative.
I've said follow the money all along. Never was about discrimination.

Latest resources

Back