APA Pilots polled. No to age 60.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Please explain

ALPA DID let it go without a peep! That is the problem.

UAL took everything but the employees from the original Frontier Airlines. UAL ALPA led the FAL pilots to believe they had a deal right up to the end and then they got tossed out. That was the day merger policy officially died.

That sort of thing was unheard of before UAL did it. The FAL pilots had just observed/respected their picket line. It was a far less desparate time than anything we've seen in the last ten years; they did it out of elitest spite and to show everybody UAL controlled ALPA.

I'm not saying TWA got a great deal. But if it was an ALPA to ALPA deal it could have been worse. Which, of course, is a ridiculously sad way to have to characterize a union.

I like what the APA is doing. I think ALPA should do the same thing, and told my reps exactly that at our last LEC meeting.

"Telling" your rep something at an LEC meeting vs. introucing a resolution that invites discussion and more importantly, a vote for the record, are 2 very distinct different things.

The resolution (if passed) goes on to the MEC level, and if passed, goes on the the ALPA BOD level.

"Telling" your LEC rep, in an LEC meeting, standing at a urinal during a break from said LEC meeting, or in a jetway/pilot lounge/parking lot is wasted energy with no direction.

"Telling" your rep something at an LEC meeting vs. introucing a resolution that invites discussion and more importantly, a vote for the record, are 2 very distinct different things.

The resolution (if passed) goes on to the MEC level, and if passed, goes on the the ALPA BOD level.

"Telling" your LEC rep, in an LEC meeting, standing at a urinal during a break from said LEC meeting, or in a jetway/pilot lounge/parking lot is wasted energy with no direction.

Ummm....you didn't actually read my post...did you?

From my post: "3. A resolution calling for an ALPA-wide effort to oppose the NPRM was before the MEC."

Not to worry, though...I've logged-on drunk before too!

"But Mom! Stevie has a bigger piece of pie than me!" is not a valid argument for a change that would disrupt the industry.---> HOW did a piece of pie get into all this? Did someone make that comment?

A trope...but I was sorta hoping you'd recognize it.

My bad!

High School English...sorry if it was too boring for you.

A few facts for the record...

1. Furloughed pilots were NOT a part of the poll.

2. Furloughed pilots have no voting rights.

3. All extended benefits as such as life insurance and medical have been terminated.

4. No travel benefits for furloughees.

5. Voting and polling are for members in good standing only.

1. Furloughed pilots were NOT a part of the poll.

2. Furloughed pilots have no voting rights.

3. All extended benefits as such as life insurance and medical have been terminated.

4. No travel benefits for furloughees.

5. Voting and polling are for members in good standing only.

Don't worry Jeff, members in good standing are ignored as well.

ALPA wants age 65. ALPA doesn't care if the majority does not, it does it anyway.

Sorry, I was being pissy......

......I was never sent a poll and have not been allowed to vote while on furlough. It just makes me think that my opinion is not valued as a furloughee.

I counted to ten.....and nothing, sorry!!!:):):)

1. Our "point man" on the issue for NWA pilots had just passed away the day before the LEC meeting, following an accident in his home. He was our EVP, Captain Darryl Snider. A good man. His untimely death is a huge loss for NWA pilots and ALPA.

3. A resolution calling for an ALPA-wide effort to oppose the NPRM was before the MEC.

4. Members were encouraged to contact their legislators on the issue.

First of all...my condolences on the passing of Capt. Snyder. Darryl and I flew together many, many years ago....yes, he was a good man and will be missed. I was shocked when I heard the news as we had talked about this very issue just days before he died.

OK...saw the comment on the resolution. Not drunk, cuz I rarely drink, but sometimes speed read too fast. Mah bad....I won't get on FI after 9PM from now on....promise.

Writing your legislators...good idea...it's been done alot already. Remember, if they have no expertise in this area, when they get your letter, they go to ....the FAA for their opinion on this issue. You already know what they are going to tell your legislator. And they have been "Blitzed" by the regular visits from the AAPAD members for the past few years. So there is a lot of catching up to do.

they already know that safety isn't the issue, nor is health....Be honest with them. Tell them this will slow down your upgrade to the Captain seat, tell them that this will keep you furloughed longer, tell them that this keeps you from getting the big bucks earlier.

They know it's not a safety/health issue when we already have airline pilots over the age of 60 flying passengers in U.S. airspace. Many of them American citizens.

Last edited:
First of all...my condolences on the passing of Capt. Snyder. Darryl and I flew together many, many years ago....yes, he was a good man and will be missed. I was shocked when I heard the news as we had talked about this very issue just days before he died.

OK...saw the comment on the resolution. Not drunk, cuz I rarely drink, but sometimes speed read too fast. Mah bad....I won't get on FI after 9PM from now on....promise.

Writing your legislators...good idea...it's been done alot already. Remember, if they have no expertise in this area, when they get your letter, they go to ....the FAA for their opinion on this issue. You already know what they are going to tell your legislator. And they have been "Blitzed" by the regular visits from the AAPAD members for the past few years. So there is a lot of catching up to do.

they already know that safety isn't the issue, nor is health....Be honest with them. Tell them this will slow down your upgrade to the Captain seat, tell them that this will keep you furloughed longer, tell them that this keeps you from getting the big bucks earlier.

They know it's not a safety/health issue when we already have airline pilots over the age of 60 flying passengers in U.S. airspace. Many of them American citizens.

I'm with you!

I spoke to my Congressman's economic impact, etc). You're correct that he didn't seem to be up-to-speed on the NPRM and what role Blakely expected Congress to play in the process. Hopefully, each MEC will get their Legislative Affairs Committee folks hot on it...since it doesn't appear Herndon is gonna move as fast as we'd like them too.

What are we paying ALPA for?

ALPA is suppose to know the lobbyists. ALPA is suppose to know Congress. ALPA is suppose to know the FAA administrator. ALPA is suppose to represent the majority of ALPA pilots according to the direction we the pilots send ALPA in.

ALPA created this problem. ALPA let the education campaign drag for over a year before it polled its members. Then ALPA with bias, polled its members while trying to confuse the issue. Then when the hearing occurred in the Senate with the Science and Transportation Committee lead by Senator Ted Stevens(R-AK), ALPA was silent and failed to make a statement in opposition.

ALPA is suppose to be our voice with all the different forms of government. ALPA is suppose to fight this fight. Not each individual pilot separated on their own.

Instead ALPA remains silent and lets the tidal wave reach its crest and then throws up its arms and says there is nothing that can be done.

APA needs to take over. Where can I send APA money to fight this that ALPA refuses to do?

Give me an APA PAC address?

APA needs a membership drive. APA has a golden opportunity.

Latest resources

Back