• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

APA Pilots polled. No to age 60.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Even as a former TWA pilot, I have vastly more respect for APA taking a stand against management than ALPA for rarely doing so. AA found a friendly judge in an anti-labor state to make a sham ruling. If ALPA wants to do some good, have them use their political power (ROTFL!) to get rid of the RLA and let us use the collective bargaining process as it was intended.

The events related in "Flying The Line" happened SO long ago that you can't even connect them to what is ALPA today.

APA has more than its share of blowhards and arrogant A-holes but its better than the "bend over and take it again" 'cocktail weenies' in Herndon. TC

Sorry, but this makes zero sense. It's incredibly ironic that you're assailing APA over ALPA (regarding detriment to the RLA) on a thread about CAL!? ALPA did not handle Lorenzo well; AND: It would take APA another 100 years to screw up this profession worse than ALPA. It pains me to say it, I wish ALPA was better, but if UAL had bought TWA, no TWA pilots would be flying for them. And ALPA would have let it go without a peep!

The sick out was ballsy. And it might have worked if APA was AFL-CIO. APA is a better union than than ALPA in the last 7 years IMHO.

Greetings Flopgut,

It was ballsy, and served it's purpose, however it was not APA that screwed things ups, it was pilots doing their own thing, taking actions into their own hands. President Lavoy at the time called all pilots back after "Judge Joe" ordered an end to the sick out. Many didn't do it, against the unions wishes. The union was slapped with the TRO. and the fine.

That could have happened anywhere.

Regards,

AAflyer

I enjoy your posts, you are one the few on here that has a level head.

Greetings AAflyer:

Oh yeah, I remember now! I recall an interviewer filming several AA pilots talking about the judges order, but still considering the sickout. You're right, could have happened anywhere.

Your union is firing on all cylinders and is primed to do well in the future. It's nice to watch your group work well under the constantly oppressive, unrelenting burden of knowing exactly what the he!! you're doing! That burden is all too uncommon in ALPA these days.

I enjoy your perspectives as well bud!

Regards,

Flopgut

Which sorta begs the question: "How many cylinders was ALPA hitting on when FDX got their new contract?"

I like what the APA is doing. I think ALPA should do the same thing, and told my reps exactly that at our last LEC meeting.

Swapa was polled just recently and those in favor of changing the age won the vote...I can't remember what the % was. I voted no.

Which sorta begs the question: "How many cylinders was ALPA hitting on when FDX got their new contract?"

I like what the APA is doing. I think ALPA should do the same thing, and told my reps exactly that at our last LEC meeting.

Occam-

How many pilots where at the LEC meeting that were not committee members or elected officers? And what percentage is that of your LEC?

Also, what did your LEC reps say about ALPA not going along with the wishes of the membership on the Age60 issue?

The % was 59 for the change, 40 against.

The vote was actually whether SWAPA should continue spending resources in fighting for the change...

Last edited:
Swapa was polled just recently and those in favor of changing the age won the vote...I can't remember what the % was. I voted no.

I just looked over their website.... nothing of the kind.... got info to post??

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 30, 2007

SWAPA President, Capt. Carl Kuwitzky, said he is looking forward to the end of the Age 60 Rule and will work with Federal Aviation Administration officials to expedite the rule making process.
“I am pleased at the direction the FAA is going and we are looking forward to working with them on the Aviation Rulemaking Committee,” Capt. Kuwitzky said.

Capt. Kuwitzky joined Southwest Company officials in expressing their support for the Jan. 30 announcement from FAA Administrator Marion Blakey about the FAA move to adopt the new international standard for age 65. The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) on Nov. 23, 2006 adopted a standard allowing one pilot to be age 60-65 so long as the other pilot is under age 60. The “over/under” age 65 rule has applied for foreign pilots coming into the U.S. since that time. Administrator Blakey said at the National Press Club luncheon that she is working on “global harmonization” and allowing U.S. pilots to have the same rules as foreign pilots is “the right thing to do.”

How many pilots where at the LEC meeting that were not committee members or elected officers? And what percentage is that of your LEC?

About 100-110 in attendance. Looked to be about a dozen "office holders" there. There are about 2,000 in Council 1 of ALPA.

Also, what did your LEC reps say about ALPA not going along with the wishes of the membership on the Age60 issue?

1. Our "point man" on the issue for NWA pilots had just passed away the day before the LEC meeting, following an accident in his home. He was our EVP, Captain Darryl Snider. A good man. His untimely death is a huge loss for NWA pilots and ALPA.

2. The wishes of the NWA MEC had not changed, which is to support the conintinuation of Age 60.

3. A resolution calling for an ALPA-wide effort to oppose the NPRM was before the MEC.

4. Members were encouraged to contact their legislators on the issue.

Latest resources

Back