• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

APA Pilots polled. No to age 60.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
First of all...my condolences on the passing of Capt. Snyder. Darryl and I flew together many, many years ago....yes, he was a good man and will be missed. I was shocked when I heard the news as we had talked about this very issue just days before he died.

OK...saw the comment on the resolution. Not drunk, cuz I rarely drink, but sometimes speed read too fast. Mah bad....I won't get on FI after 9PM from now on....promise.

Writing your legislators...good idea...it's been done alot already. Remember, if they have no expertise in this area, when they get your letter, they go to ....the FAA for their opinion on this issue. You already know what they are going to tell your legislator. And they have been "Blitzed" by the regular visits from the AAPAD members for the past few years. So there is a lot of catching up to do.

they already know that safety isn't the issue, nor is health....Be honest with them. Tell them this will slow down your upgrade to the Captain seat, tell them that this will keep you furloughed longer, tell them that this keeps you from getting the big bucks earlier.

They know it's not a safety/health issue when we already have airline pilots over the age of 60 flying passengers in U.S. airspace. Many of them American citizens.

Pull your cord and out comes all the same old slackjaw selfish BS. It's totally lost on you that this thread's also about a properly functioning union, and that IS the larger issue! You could care less about the pitfalls of age 60, you just keep blurting out the same crap about what YOU want.

Three on-duty CAL captain heart attacks since the first of the year, one perished. This IS about safety.

Those of you who can walk and chew gum at the same time: Why does APA exist? ALPA betrayed AA's pilots. We are being betrayed on the age 60 issue... time for a new union! Or at least seriously consider it! No more suffering the overwhelming urgent needs of the paniced greed-wracked minority. Guys like Tejas will always have selfish issues that appeal to THEMSELVES, but are doomed to slight ALL others.

I'm with you!

I spoke to my Congressman's economic impact, etc). You're correct that he didn't seem to be up-to-speed on the NPRM and what role Blakely expected Congress to play in the process. Hopefully, each MEC will get their Legislative Affairs Committee folks hot on it...since it doesn't appear Herndon is gonna move as fast as we'd like them too.

If you minded your high school english...you'll remember spelling is very important. It's Blakey...:rolleyes:

Houston, we have a problem...

Thanks for the correction Occam's Razor. I stand corrected.

ALPA did not create the problem.

ALPA just let age 60 become a major problem. But the problem has gone way beyond age 60 and is now a betrayal of the entire membership.

Read the March 2007 Mailbag- "Majority Rule letter......Not only do I accept that ALPA will leave no stone unturned when defending the will of the majority, I expect it--Capt. George Goepfrich"

George doesn't even support age 60 but he and those like him won't support an ALPA that betrays its members.

ALPA is betraying the majority with its current actions, attitudes, and future plans. John Praters lip service we need to be part of the rule change and can not do anything to stop it doesn't wash.

APA is defending its members majority interests.

Last edited:
Three on-duty CAL captain heart attacks since the first of the year, one perished. This IS about safety.---->No, it's not about safety. Just ask Marion Blakley...or better yet, ask Dr Tilton, the Federal Air Surgeon. Tell us, what was the outcome of those CAL flights? They all landed safely...they proved that the system works.

We are being betrayed on the age 60 issue... time for a new union! Or at least seriously consider it!--->Amazing that guys will consider a "new union" without even considering making a change for the better from the inside. Even members of that union. So...they wait...for somebody else to take the lead in either making the change or forming a new union. How many recall resolutions have been introduced at the CAL LEC meetings so far?

Better yet....has anybody just gone to one of Capt. Prater's road show meetings and brought up this subject? How has he responded? Wasn't he at IAH recently?

Tejas: The result of the CAL heart attacks proved the system works...THE CURRENT SYSTEM! It also illustrates that it is perhaps strained. Hard for you to grasp because you're looking no further than your own interests.

Why don't YOU wright a "honest" letter to somebody? Tell the them you have NOT lost a pension, have NOT been furloughed, and although tens of thousands of pilots have retired before you, and tens of thousands will retire after you...YOU are more uniqely deservant than anybody else of a windfall! Tell them your so f-ing special they ought to feel lucky they represent you!

If you minded your high school english...you'll remember spelling is very important. It's Blakey...:rolleyes:

I shoulda paid better attention in High School in the 70's when they were drilling us on the proper spelling of the FAA Adminstrator in 2007?

Got it!

(sheesh)

People talk about the windfall that will go to the 50ish pilots when age 60 changes(and it will change) well what about the windfall that came to the pilots who moved up quickly when all of the over 60 pilots were summarily retired when age 60 took effect. I predict that 5 yrs after the change people will wonder what all the fuss was about. Lastly--all of you who haven't upgraded yet and complain about your upgrade being delayed--well when you signed on did they give you a date--was it scheduled when you were first hired? As for APA, I'd just like to see how their reps can say its about safety and caring for the travelling public with a straight face--they must be world class liars like Bill Clinton-its about the money, nothing more nothing less. Let AA keep age 60--after all it was their boy CR Smith that gave it to us in the first place, only fitting.

Airfogey

People talk about the windfall that will go to the 50ish pilots when age 60 changes(and it will change) well what about the windfall that came to the pilots who moved up quickly when all of the over 60 pilots were summarily retired when age 60 took effect. I predict that 5 yrs after the change people will wonder what all the fuss was about. Lastly--all of you who haven't upgraded yet and complain about your upgrade being delayed--well when you signed on did they give you a date--was it scheduled when you were first hired? As for APA, I'd just like to see how their reps can say its about safety and caring for the travelling public with a straight face--they must be world class liars like Bill Clinton-its about the money, nothing more nothing less. Let AA keep age 60--after all it was their boy CR Smith that gave it to us in the first place, only fitting.

Airfogey

How would you feel, if the day the rule changes, if it does at all, all the pilots who retire in the last five were able to come back and push you back five years; maybe, even to the right seat. Would you think that's fair? off course you do. After all, it is not about money, so what if yo go back to make senior FO pay vs captain, I guess you wouldn't mind. Some of us do.

Nobody promised us an upgrade date, they just told us that the law of the land for the past 30+ years states that everybody must retire at 60, so you do the math. Now, they want to change the rules in the middle of the game.

Any change to age 60 rule should take at least 5 years to take effect. That's only fair. Nobody should benefit from the rule, or, be affected by it.

Last edited:

Airfogey

I am not really thrilled about Age60 changing.. I've been taking hits, like all of us, since 9/11. I don't want to wait another five years to get hired by a career company....

With that said, there are bigger problems than age 60. Namely globalization/liberalization and our own divisiveness over the issues... including age60.

ALPA isn't against age60...they just know they can't hold back the tide and they are working on building a workable system to deal with the water..... the tide is coming...how you deal with it says alot...

The APA guys can afford to rattle thier sabre's (no pun) cause it is all bark..there is no bite....

Give me an APA PAC address?

APA needs a membership drive. APA has a golden opportunity.

If you want to give money to the APA's PAC it is acalled CAPA-PAC. They are in with IPA, SWAPA, NPA and IBT... They are smart enough not to address issues that ALPA-PAC address or at least counter them... so give your money to CAPA-PAC but it won't adress age60.

Maybe the APA can get skywest pilots and go from there... Heack..maybe the APA can get all of ALPA.... It doesn't matter what we are called just as long as we are all under one name...

Here is waht CAPA-PAC address...

CAPA is presently focused on a number of key concerns facing the airline industry and the millions who depend on its safe daily operation. In the post-9/11 world, airport security has become a critical aspect of national defense, and CAPA advocates a number of security improvements to include:
  • Careful screening of all airport employees, including contracted workers, before they enter secure areas. Screening would include a combination of security background checks, random physical screening (wand, pat-down, visual inspections and electronic portals), and biometric ID for passage into the SIDA area.
  • Biometric Identification cards for all law enforcement, government workers such as FAA inspectors, all part 121 passenger and cargo pilots, aircraft mechanics and cabin crewmembers who have access to the flight deck.
  • Inspections of cargo on the bottom side for all cargo carriers vs. screening based on dependence of the known shipper program.
  • Immediate sharing of updated security directives and potential threats directly with the cargo and passenger pilots in command (the Captain), who play a critical role in aircraft security.
  • Strengthening the Federal Flight Deck Officer program (FFDO), which trains and monitors pilots who carry firearms in the event of a hijacking or terrorist incident.
  • Security measures to address the threat of shoulder-mounted rockets (MANPADS) that pose a grave danger to commercial air traffic.
  • Increased airport surveillance and airport perimeter security.
  • Flight time duty time issues to include; 1) length of crew duty day, 2) reserve rest periods for International crewmembers, 3) new flight time limitations based on circadian rhythms, limited flight hours based on compensatory rest before next duty sequence.
  • Closer examination of cosmic radiation exposures and health affects of a long term career exposure to high altitude radiation.
  • Pension protections for the career aviator.
  • No Flight Deck imaging recorders…CAPA supports preventative measures for aircraft safety verses reactionary spending programs that secure the future of government agencies.
  • No changes to the existing airman medical certificates.

And that is one of the issues... you don't know how to even begin to effect change properly.... I applaud your education, but imagine if you were politically savvy in in defending your political career..... you wouldn't be complaining that things weren't getting done, you'd be telling guys how to get it done....

Latest resources

Back