Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What do the SKYW pilots do?
Get their own Union!

On the one hand you admit that ALPA trying to represent the interests of every airline "is what it is." So your solution is to accept this and move forward? A reality check will show that is like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. The different pilot groups will never come together under that banner---it is what it is. You can only influence what goes on in your own airline...so leave it at that and form your own Union. And what better model to follow than SWAPA? I'm not anti-Union...I'm anti-ALPA. Good luck to all those saving the jumpseat for ALPA pilots only.

Now you can proceed to tell me to go read a book called flying the line with a bunch of BS that applied in the 30s and 40s and when your dinosaur of a Union was really needed. Or you can use some more scare tactics about jungle laws and why we won't survive without ALPA...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Interesting that you have now chosen to reference the FAA Aviation Instructors Handbook for professionalism...

1. Most Aviation Instructors are not members of a union..... Neither are Doctors or Lawyers..... Therefor we have now established that you do not need to be a member of a union to be a professional, even though that is the point you are trying to make......
Nicely put, Joe.

John, just wondering if you will let a non-union dispatcher sit in your "Union" jumpseat? Just curious.

All of our dispatchers at ASA are union (PAFCA), and only company dispatchers are welcome on my jumpseat, so no.

All of our dispatchers at ASA are union (PAFCA), and only company dispatchers are welcome on my jumpseat, so no.

so john, You arent going to allow Union dispatchers from other companies in your jumpseat? Why have a CASS system and allow dispatchers in it? What about Delta dispatchers? Are they welcome in "your" jumpseat?

John, so you are saying that you need a CASS system that differentiates between Union and non Union members. So you would deny me a jumpseat just because I am not in a Union. That's hilariously asinie.

You non-union Skywest dispatchers and pilots are welcome on my ASA jumpseat...... In fact you get a spot ahead of JP because you can actually think for yourself and aren't afraid to question the union thugs..... Welcome aboard.......

From June/July 2006 Airline Pilot

Rumors have been circulating about some ALPA pilots refusing to allow jumpseaters from select non-ALPA and low-cost airlines. Please do not let politics into the jumpseat. While you might feel good about having denied a jumpseater from a non-ALPA or low-cost airline, your ALPA brothers and sisters might be denied a much needed jumpseat on one of those airlines commuting to or from their base. Your actions can have implications far beyond the immediate situation. Also, ALPA's long-term goal is to represent the entire airline piloting profession--and that means every one of us is a field organizer for our union. A jumpseat is one more opportunity to educate and influence our non-ALPA brothers and sisters.--Second Officer Dan Gradwohl (Northwest), Chairman, ALPA National Jumpseat Comittee

AND

ALPA Reasserts Policy on Jumpseat Restrictions

During these times of airline turmoil, airlines may be tempted to place artificial restrictions -- specifically, those that do not involve safety concerns -- on using jumpseats. ALPA strongly disagrees with such restrictions and has always maintained that jumpseats should be off limits to any type of dispute that is not related to safety.

ALPA's jumpseat policy, contained in Section 115 of the ALPA Administrative Manual, speaks directly to this subject: "ALPA supports the Captain's authority to exclude any person other than required crew from the flight deck if, in his opinion, that person's presence will compromise safety.

"Denial of jumpseat privileges as a means of punishing, coercing, or retaliating against other pilot groups or individuals is not supported by ALPA. The Jumpseat and/or Professional Standards Representative appointed by the respective Master Executive Council or governing body should resolve disputes that arise between pilots, airlines, or other unions."

ALPA's president, Capt. Duane Woerth, says, "Using jumpseats to retaliate against an individual, pilot group, or company is not only wrong. It could also result in violations of the Railway Labor Act, if pilots took those actions to harm a company during collective bargaining." Gigantic fines could be levied against a pilot group if its members misused jumpseats in this way.

"The jumpseat is a mutually beneficial tool that helps airlines and pilots by enhancing safety, security, and efficiency," Capt. Woerth noted. "Both parties must guard against any activities that may damage the viability of that invaluable asset."

abc123

Latest resources

Back