• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA sues SKYW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Without taking a position on the ALPA vs Skywest issue, the issue is that the rule is being "selectively" enforced. Only the ones with the ALPA logo on them are considered contrary to the uniform policy.

you are correct. the ALPA lanyards are the only ones that any CP seems to care about. now, back to newman, if read my post you see that this CP did this in the crew lounge with many other pilots and FAs around. Do you consider that professional? do you consider that to be a hostile work enviornment? is that the kind of management that is there for the pilots? If a CP is so unprofessional in this regard, how is he going to act when there is a real issue?

Actually, they have been going after pilots and flight attendants that have been wearing lanyards that say anything on them other then "Skywest". The rumor is that the company have been documenting these incidents. Most of the violations are for wearing beer lanyards most commonly saying "Budweiser" on them. Sounds like they knew this was going to happen. It was suggested that maybe the Skywest OC gave out the Budweiser lanyards to see if management would let them slide. It's all been documented and they plan on presenting time and place of all lanyard violations. This should be funny!

It is important for SKYW pilots to realize that the Organizing Committee filed the lawsuit as a LAST resort. It was only after management didn’t respond to letters and phone calls that the OC determined that our right to organize and the success of something we believe in was being illegally hindered.
I can assure you that SKYW management was tearing down fliers from bulletin boards, kicking OC members out of the training center when we attempted to distribute materials to new hires, and not allowing us access to the crewrooms. These are all items that are our fundamental rights granted under the Railway Labor Act. SKYW chose to ignore the law and the OC did the right thing in calling them on it.
I also want to say that the Organizing drive is alive and well. Cards continue to come in on a daily basis. Although some pilots who have made up their mind are growing tired of hearing about ALPA, many pilots are still gathering information so that they can make an informed decision about their future. Also, many new hires have not had the opportunity to learn about the drive due to managements tactics. Instead of throwing around inflammatory remarks, why don’t we allow people to gather information unfettered, make a decision, and vote.

Oh I see...so if someone with previous ALPA experience says "No Thanks", they're not making an informed decision. It would behoove the people who are so hell bent on getting ALPA on property to examine the motivies of some of the people who keep showing up on the OC. Some of them have been spewing their anti-management and hate for Jerry Atkin for over 20 years. I would encourage you to get just as informed about those that want to take you to battle with JA as you need to be about ALPA itself.

It would behoove the people who are so hell bent on getting ALPA on property to examine the motivies of some of the people who keep showing up on the OC. Some of them have been spewing their anti-management and hate for Jerry Atkin for over 20 years. I would encourage you to get just as informed about those that want to take you to battle with JA as you need to be about ALPA itself.

If these people are as eager to go "to battle with JA" as you say they are, then you simply have to vote no if they run for office if we do vote to join ALPA. What you are forgetting is that being in a union is not something that happens to you, it is something you can participate in and direct if you choose to do so.
At one of my previous airlines ( both of which were ALPA) we had an MEC in power who did things their own way regardless of the wishes of the majority. As a pilot group, we voted them all out of office and elected new MEC reps and new LEC reps. This was also preceeded by a complete change in the members of several committees, including the negotiating committee, and the changes were almost immediate.
Here's what I'm trying to say, being in ALPA doesn't mean you lose your voice, it gives you a stronger voice to participate in directing your own future. The systems works only as well as those who volunteer their time and participate in it. There is no reason why any of the OC members would be MEC reps under ALPA unless the pilot group votes them into office, you get to choose.

If you are happy with the guys who are running SAPA right now, then vote them into office if we become ALPA, and the only thing that will change is that the agreements they enter into with mgmt on our behalf become legally binding.

Last edited:
Oh I see...so if someone with previous ALPA experience says "No Thanks", they're not making an informed decision. It would behoove the people who are so hell bent on getting ALPA on property to examine the motivies of some of the people who keep showing up on the OC. Some of them have been spewing their anti-management and hate for Jerry Atkin for over 20 years. I would encourage you to get just as informed about those that want to take you to battle with JA as you need to be about ALPA itself.

I don't know a single person on th OC who is, or has been "spewing their anti-management and hate for JA for over 20 years"!

I think the most damaging part of the complaint wasn't the lanyard complaint...it was the fact that Skywest funds SAPA which acts like a union. This is very clearly interference under the RLA.

This is straight from the RLA...

"it shall be unlawful for any carrier to interfere in any way with the organization of its employees, or to use the funds of the carrier in maintaining or assisting or contributing to any labor organizabion, labor representative, or other agency of collective bargaining, or in performing any work therefor"

I think ALPA will win on this point alone...keep your lanyard argument.

good luck

Rick, SAPA is as useless as your posts. Oh, and Al Gore actually won the last election you war monger. :)

In fact, Al Gore wasn't even running in the last election. Perhaps you're thinking of the 2000 election. Didn't Kerry play a role in the 2004 election?

CoAlpha said:
nothing more stupid than a pilot pretending he knows something about politics, and also thinking he is so smart that he can voice himself on a aviation slam board. morons......

jayme said:
Huh. Pilots can't be informed about politics. That's news to me. I read the paper everyday, but I guess since I'm a pilot, I don't comprehend what I'm reading. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

...at least THIS pilot knows that Gore wasn't the one who lost the last election. Kerry was.

This is not correct. Here's what the policy manual actually says.

Weasil, I don't have a policy manual in front of me, but I BET the section you quoted was in the Flight Attendant Uniform section. The verbage for the pilot's lanyard is different. I had a captain call me on my black lanyard one day because it wasn't gold or silver [black lanyards weren't allowed for flight attendants at that time]. I told him if I were a flight attendant, he would be correct. Since I was a pilot, my black lanyard was in keeping with uniform policy. Course at one time, the Policy Manual USED to say that all crewmembers [other than male flight attendants] had to wear a bra. You can bet I checked that my captains were in full compliance with THAT one.

Here's what that section says again, I will repost it with emphasis added. It says that black lanyards are fine. I will admit though I haven't been wearing a bra... d'oh.

If neck chains are used with the identification badge, the chain must be
gold, silver, plain dark navy or plain black

The growth is over, for all regionals. The only growth left is replacing 50 seaters with 90 seaters, and that's not growth at all.

I don't see how this is not growth. That is an 80% in capacity which means you need more F/As, more CS agents, and other support personnel. Maybe the number of aircraft isn't growing but capacity growth is still growth.

Those ALPA lanyards are pathetic looking anyway. Even if I was in ALPA I wouldn't wear them...they look cheap. Oh wait I was in ALPA once and didn't wear it then.

You would think with all the money pilots pay to have that "wonderful" organization on property they would at least get a cool lanyard with that awesome magazine with Dr. Phil's cousin on it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back