ALPA sues SKYW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

trip

Its nice to have ALPA sueing the company before they are even on the property, I dont think this will sit well with a lot of the pilots. All over the stupid bulletin board? only the lawyers will win this one.

Fellow SkyWest Pilots,

Today, May 22, 2007, in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, the SkyWest Pilots ALPA Organizing Committee filed suit against SkyWest Airlines, Inc. to compel the carrier to obey the principles of the Railway Labor Act with respect to employee free choice and union solicitation.

Under the rules governing union organizing, SkyWest pilots are entitled to distribute and receive information from ALPA and its supporters on exactly the same terms and conditions that they have received information from management and SAPA. To that end, the Organizing Committee, in a letter to B H in March, requested what it is entitled to under federal law: that it be given the same privileges and opportunities granted to SAPA. The company refused to grant these requests, prompting the Organizing Committee to take this latest measure.

In conjunction with the filing of the litigation, the SkyWest Pilots ALPA Organizing Committee asked the Court to move quickly to prevent SkyWest from interfering with pilots’ right to organize. On the same day the lawsuit was filed, the Court issued a Temporary Restraining Order, requiring SkyWest immediately to cease and desist from preventing members of the Organizing Committee and its supporters from wearing ALPA insignia on lanyards or pins and distributing ALPA materials in non-work areas such as crew lounges and bulletin boards. The Temporary Restraining Order also requires SkyWest immediately to provide the SkyWest Pilots ALPA Organizing Committee with access to the same channels of internal communication to the pilot group that are now available to SAPA.

For your reference we have attached a letter, mailed to SkyWest pilots today, which outlines the rationale for filing this lawsuit. We have also attached the judge’s order, and posted all of the key filings in the case on the SkyWest Pilots ALPA Organizing Committee webpage – www.skywestalpa.org.

With this Temporary Restraining Order, the Organizing Committee and its supporters are free to exercise their federal rights to discuss and to learn more about ALPA and the benefits of union representation. We look forward to talking with you soon.

In solidarity,

The SkyWest Pilots ALPA Organizing Committee
1-888-SKY-ALPA
http://skywestalpa.org

Rather than assuming that it is frivolous, why not question why skywest refuses to follow the law?

I would consider this a good primer for skyw's future life of needing to take into consideration the law and their employees in future decisions they make instead of solely doing what benefits the company alone.

Last edited:
I wonder if skywest would sue alpa if alpa were to do something illegal.
answer....you bet your a$$ they would. I know some people refuse to believe it, but skywest is very intimidating when it comes to organizing efforts.

Well done guys! I'm glad to see it! This should be a wake up call to the pilots about what is possible when you stand together as a union, you don't just have to take the company's word as final say anymore, you can stand up for your rights together as a group.

Just for clarification, are the members of the "SkyWest Pilots ALPA Organizing Committee" actually from ALPA or are they SkyWest pilots who are trying to bring ALPA in?

Its nice to have ALPA sueing the company before they are even on the property, I dont think this will sit well with a lot of the pilots. All over the stupid bulletin board? only the lawyers will win this one.

Actually you might want to read the actual litigation material, it's on skywestalpa.org
I just finished reading through it, they are requesting that the Judge issue a restraining order against SAPA. They want SAPA shutdown, as an illegal company sponsored bargaining representative.

To you it might be just a stupid bulletin board, but to many of us it is our legal right to engage in union organization efforts that is being intefered with.

for real, get a girlfriend or something. there will be no alpa here, thank god. If you were represented by alpa in the past you would feel the same way.

next question

Latest resources

Back