ALPA sues SKYW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HelloNewman,

Congratulations. You get to represent the Atkin Kennel Club at the big show in St. George. Just remember, when you are posing and prancing in front of the judges, to keep that shaved ass of yours held up nice and high like the proud little puppy that you are. Then when it comes time to hand out those blue ribbons, it'll be such an exciting time for you, but for the love of God, Newman, you gotta try not to squeeze out a dookie on the astroturf. Because, God forbid you were ever an embarrassment to Master Jerry, right?

LMAO

Newwoman you should always use a mirror while bic-ing your azze!!!

WOW, sounds familiar. The last thing I want is a weak ALPA union at SkyWest full of managment hacks like SAPA. Reactive rather than proactive. I guess I'll just have to vote Teamsters.

Thats the reason for the delay in the vote. I am sure the vote would pass with the a slight majority but that is not what we want. ALPA should start off with a strong message that we as a pilot group are finally unified with a strong legal voice. ALPA is being pro-active in the sense that there is still alot of educating to be done in person, face to face, with our pilot group, especially with the "its better than my old job at Mesa" group of new hires.

With the OC asserting is LEGAL rights to organize and present the benefits of Unity as outlined in the RLA they have already shown management they cant just ignore the issues and they have to COMPROMISE if not, than a court order will. That is the effectivness of a Union and legal representation, management cant say things like "pay negotiations ore off the table at this time" like they did with SAPA with no repurcussions to their at whim decisions.

Laynards are against our uniform policy period. It is not an ALPA thing it is a matter of policy. .

This is not correct. Here's what the policy manual actually says.

Crewmember Identification Badge​
A. FAA regulations require that your identification badge be visible on the
outermost garment above the waist when in a Security Identification Display
Area (SIDA) area. This includes onboard the aircraft when the main cabin door
is open.
1) In the interest of personal security, the Company does not recommend that
your identification badge be visible during flight. The FAA does not
recommend wearing neck chains. These are recommendations only.
2) If you choose to wear your identification badge during flight:
a) Your Company identification badge and your corresponding airport
badge may be visible.​

If neck chains are used with the identification badge, the chain must be
gold, silver, plain dark navy or plain black with a width not to exceed
one-eighth (1/8) of an inch. Designer neck chains are acceptable as long
as they do not distract from the overall professional image of the
uniform.​
Designer chains may be gold, silver, two tone gold, silver or
black, and may not exceed 1 inch in height or ½ inch in width
. Charms
must meet the above color guidelines, and may not exceed ¾ inch in
length and 1/3 inch in width. Charms must be airline oriented. Clip and
pull I.D. holders are acceptable. Logo neck chains are not acceptable
unless they say SkyWest Airlines.

this is evidence of the 'us vs. them' mindset that is usually inherent with ALPA: 'do what we say or we'll strike, sue, or shut this mother down!' that is not the type of environment I want to work in

I want to work in an environment that does not hinder my right to free speech or organize a labor union. The SKYW OC has been doing more than its share of trying to compromise with SKYW for almost a year and it was SKYW ILLEGAL actions that brought about this litigation. Instead of everyone jumping up and blaming ALPA, I wonder why nobody seems to think that Good Old Skywest is to blame?

After all this is the company that promised an 18 month pay package that went on for what felt like forever, changed how they calculate cancellation pay, admittedly violates seniority with regard to ASE flying, decreased block times by an average of 8% (reference to SAPA email “Questions to Brad Holt”), and completely ignored 25% of the pilot group in the last pay package. And now, it appears they are violating the RLA laws and attempting to snuff out the pilot’s voice.

I don’t want to work in an “us vs. them” environment either, but even more than that, I don’t want to work somewhere that can continue to break the law and do whatever they wish with regard to my career, pay, and quality of life without any recourse. If this lawsuit shows anything, it shows the POSITIVE aspect of having a unified voice that is willing to stand up for the desires of the pilot group against a management used to doing whatever it wants.

Notice the last sentance.

I think they're going to lose that particular argument.

24. Crewmember Identification Badge
A. FAA regulations require that your identification badge be visible on the
outermost garment above the waist when in a Security Identification Display
Area (SIDA) area. This includes onboard the aircraft when the main cabin door
is open.
1) In the interest of personal security, the Company does not recommend that
your identification badge be visible during flight. The FAA does not
recommend wearing neck chains. These are recommendations only.
2) If you choose to wear your identification badge during flight:
a) Your Company identification badge and your corresponding airport
badge may be visible.
b) If neck chains are used with the identification badge, the chain must be
gold, silver, plain dark navy or plain black with a width not to exceed
one-eighth (1/8) of an inch. Designer neck chains are acceptable as long
as they do not distract from the overall professional image of the
uniform. Designer chains may be gold, silver, two tone gold, silver or
black, and may not exceed 1 inch in height or ½ inch in width. Charms
must meet the above color guidelines, and may not exceed ¾ inch in
length and 1/3 inch in width. Charms must be airline oriented. Clip and
pull I.D. holders are acceptable. Logo neck chains are not acceptable
unless they say SkyWest Airlines.

Actually they already won it, the judge agreed apparently enough to issue the Temporary Restraining order, or so I heard today.

There's a reason it's called "temporary". The company will argue it's side, and I think they will win more points than they lose.

Without taking a position on the ALPA vs Skywest issue, the issue is that the rule is being "selectively" enforced. Only the ones with the ALPA logo on them are considered contrary to the uniform policy.

SSDD,
you are correct. the ALPA lanyards are the only ones that any CP seems to care about. now, back to newman, if read my post you see that this CP did this in the crew lounge with many other pilots and FAs around. Do you consider that professional? do you consider that to be a hostile work enviornment? is that the kind of management that is there for the pilots? If a CP is so unprofessional in this regard, how is he going to act when there is a real issue?

Latest resources

Back