• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA loses at Skywest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ASA raised the bar. SKYW is lowering it. SKYW only has what it has because ALPA properties negotiated for it. SKYW will continue to be a "middle of the road" type regional so Jerry can attract applicants.

Just wait til the next down turn in the industry when no one is hiring and watch that "policy manual" evaporate.

This is what makes Skywest a safe place to work. Is is Shangri La? No. But I promise you that in the next 'downturn' Skywest will rise to the top. Jerry and the boys have a responsibility to run the company not pay the pilots whatever they want. That is why they are management. No one at SKYW is worried about loosing their job or even a contract. SKYW has never furloughed a pilot in their 30+ year existance. The company is built for the long run.

SKYW has several plans in place down in SGU, whether it be a union vote or loss of a partner. Im sure SKYW has a plan in place should they loose all their partners. One thing for sure is that SKYW will be around for a long time. They have enough $$ in the bank to write a check for Comair if they wanted to. And remember that SKYW owns the gates in SLC and ATL. This airline will not turn into an AirWis or even ACA. Peace of mind is one of the benefits here. I wouldnt walk away from my job here because I get paid $5/ hour less than some other guy in the same equipment. Each of us know the terms when we sign on with an airline.

The rules have changed. Look at every other industry in america. Union work is going away in every industry. Even the second most powerful union in america, (the UAW) cant stop the rising costs of health care and loss of jobs in the industry.If you say that SKYW benefits from ALPA negotiated contacts you are correct. Skywest keeps is costs low and runs a very efficient company. Many others cannot seriously say that.

I do not regret the ALPA vote. Give away 2% every year in hopes of a contract in 3 or 4 years. No thanks. (...and of couse I am simplifying it. I agree there are good attributes to APLA). Are people getting fired for no reason at SKYW? No. Are the work rules so bad that they need negotiating? No. Does the comapny follow the policy manual? Yes. Not a terrible place to be at.

So keep bashing SKYW and call me whatever you want. I sleep fine at night. If I ride with you in a van or a jumpseat and you ask me how I voted I will say I voted - Yes. Just becasue I dont want to hear your campaign speech about ALPA and how you think that I have dropped the ball for every other union carrier in America.

Its a tough business to be in and it will get tougher. I dont wish anyone bad luck in this business but its a reality that some will not be as good as others and that some will go away after a while. Again managements job is to run the company and make $$ for the shareholders. I would say that they are doing a good job.

Best wishes everyone, SG

They have a Union, It's just not ALPA. Hate to point out the obvious. You're not a SKW pilot, so you personally don't know the effects of SAPA. Seems like there were a select few who had problems with SAPA and they wanted the change. The rest were content.

I laugh at you for more than just paying your way through life.

During the whole process you sit there and tell these guys you're all brothers and sisters, fighting for the good cause. And then when majority speaks, you call them "scumbags" and threaten jump seats. You're one bipolar SOB.

You are the scumbag out of the group. You're the one blowing sunshine up thier butts one day, and then cursing them out the next day. It's scumbags like you that give the Union a bad name.

To bad you couldn't buy common sense for $30k a year at GIA.

Would you mind changing your avatar? You're embarrassing the rest of the Illinois fans.

I'll See You At The Bottom

They have a Union, It's just not ALPA. Hate to point out the obvious. You're not a SKW pilot, so you personally don't know the effects of SAPA. Seems like there were a select few who had problems with SAPA and they wanted the change. The rest were content.

I laugh at you for more than just paying your way through life.

During the whole process you sit there and tell these guys you're all brothers and sisters, fighting for the good cause. And then when majority speaks, you call them "scumbags" and threaten jump seats. You're one bipolar SOB.

You are the scumbag out of the group. You're the one blowing sunshine up thier butts one day, and then cursing them out the next day. It's scumbags like you that give the Union a bad name.

To bad you couldn't buy common sense for $30k a year at GIA.

Too bad you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. SAPA is useless. Like stated before a student council is more effective, a PTA council is more effective, the Girl Scouts are more effective in getting things done. To all of you who do not work here - SAPA is a group of management puppets, funded by management(illegal?) that says they represent us.

Not to beat a dead horse but...

IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT SAPA SAYS, WHO THEY "ELECT", HOW MANY TIMES THEY TALK TO JERRY, WHAT FUZZY GOOD FEELINGS THEY TALK ABOUT...

THEY HAVE NO POWER, NO STANDING TO NEGOIATE ANYTHING. MANAGEMENT CAN DO ANYTHING WITH OUR WORK RULES, FLEET PLANS, INTEGRATION(SCREWING OF) WITH ASA, PAY RULES, VACATION RULES, AND ON AND ON.

And this is the part that all of you working at Sh$$thole places like Mesa say, well you guys at SKYW have it pretty good, your pay is ok, your work rules are ok. Why are you complaining, be happy with what you have.....

That is not the point....Yes I am happy here, the reason I chose SKYW is because of the above mentioned things...

BUT....Maybe, just maybe I see some things that could be a little better. Maybe, just maybe, I really am a selfish pilot and I have something that I want for myself out of this job...That I am not currently getting....

ITS NOT THAT SAPA DOESN'T TRY.....ITS THAT SAPA IS POWERLESS!

SAPA:We want more than a 1% raise, a commuter policy, better pay protection, etc. etc....

SGU: No

SAPA: But, please.

SAPA: But, Pretty Please...

SAPA: But...

SGU: No.

SAPA: ok.

To all of those who voted no or chose not to vote -
I DON"T WANT TO HEAR ANY WHINING ABOUT...... pay issues, fleet issues, integration issues, quality of life issues, schedule problems, commuting issues, vacation issues, reserve issues, cancellation pay, Appendix D issues, any issue that makes this job what it is. ANY issue that ANYONE raises on either the SKYW or SAPA forums - DON"T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IT - in fact lets just take down those boards so you all can't complain.

If you are going to spend time and energy complaining about things to other pilots either while you are flying or on the message boards then answer this..

HOW ARE WE GOING TO CHANGE ANYTHING HERE? How are we going to IMPROVE "pay issues, quality of life issues, schedule problems, commuting issues, vacation issues, reserve issues, cancellation pay etc, etc...?"

HOW??????????????

Oh yeah, lets hold another SAPA election.

Last edited:
This is what makes Skywest a safe place to work. Is is Shangri La? No. But I promise you that in the next 'downturn' Skywest will rise to the top. Jerry and the boys have a responsibility to run the company not pay the pilots whatever they want. That is why they are management. No one at SKYW is worried about loosing their job or even a contract. SKYW has never furloughed a pilot in their 30+ year existance. The company is built for the long run.

That's great. Most of us are a bit envious of some of the good things going on over there at SKW. Admirable that you are willing to work for a little less to help the company succeed. And in a tough situation, it would be appropriate: In tough times, pilots help the company get through it for the greater good. In good times, the company recognizes the value of its employees, the sacrifices they made and rewards them appropriately. How many quarters has it been now that SKW has posted 8 digit net earnings? How have the pilots (and everyone else on the front lines) been recognized and rewarded? If there is no reward now when times are good (not even COLA if I understand correctly), what will happen when times are bad? And during the next downturn SKW will be what?, 3 times as big as it was during the last? A lot easier to not furlough when you have 1000 or so pilots than it is when there are almost 3000 on the payroll.

Something to remember:

Your management is ASA's management. And they have not been especially benevolent towards us. Is that because we have ALPA getting in the way? Maybe SGU just hates the idea of a union that much. But if it were not for ALPA and the limited amount of horsepower they can bring to bear, this would have been a hole of an airline on par with Mesa. And dont kid yourself, if Mesa didnt have ALPA, it would be an even bigger sh!thole than it is (most of its current problems + a B scale/alter-ego). Can you imagine the fun JO would have with a couple thousand individual, at-will pilots?

I wish you all well, and hope that your good fortune continues (deserved or not). But much like the uninsured driver, you are taking quite a gamble. As long as Fortuna smiles on you, you have saved your 2% and the modicum of effort and struggle that a union would require. If you have a little bad luck: sorry, you're SOL. And I have to agree with Gandalf, if it all goes south, you probably wont get much sympathy or support from anyone else. Hopefully, you really are the rugged individualist/ self-reliant type. Taking the risks, collecting the rewards, and taking your lumps too- all with contented equanimity of a latter-day Howard Rourke.

Last edited:
I am sure it has already been said, but the real $hitty part of this is not that it was voted down, but that less than half of the pilots even voted.
not calling was the safest way to not vote.... oh and yeah that video was hilarious!!!

Lemme guess, daddy got you your job at UPS and you dont feel accepted with the real freight dogs so you come into the regional forums where you feel more welcome. Don't answer that we already know.

Sorry a$$hole, nice try, daddy committed suicide when I was seven....he didn't get me anything so don't you feel good about yourself now?

But ya, I got my job at UPS with 300 TT cuz I'm a chick....na na na na na.....

So keep bashing SKYW and call me whatever you want. I sleep fine at night. If I ride with you in a van or a jumpseat and you ask me how I voted I will say I voted - Yes. Just becasue I dont want to hear your campaign speech about ALPA and how you think that I have dropped the ball for every other union carrier in America.

Someone you can truly respect.....someone who will lie to your face....nice.

Latest resources

Back