• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA loses at Skywest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Each ALPA carrier is only as strong as its MEC and pilots. ....If there isn't unity among them, then ALPA at any airline is useless. We(mesa) are a perfect example.

ALPA motto = United we stand, divided we beg

I certainly wouldn't call you a scab, but the next Skywest pilot I see in the crew van or on our jumpseat is going to get one hell of an earful. Guys like you who chose not to vote have stabbed the rest of us in the back. Don't expect us to take it kindly.
PCL, You and I agree on a lot of things. I voted yes. But if you try and give me a load of horsesh1t on a van, you'll get it right back.

I really hate this crap, I really do.

PCL, You and I agree on a lot of things. I voted yes. But if you try and give me a load of horsesh1t on a van, you'll get it right back.

I really hate this crap, I really do.

You voted yes. I have no beef with you. You've got your head on straight and tried your best to do the right thing for you pilot group and your profession. If I met you in a van and you said that you voted YES, then I would shake your hand and thank you for doing the right thing. The people that would get the earful would be the 65% who sold the rest of us out.

Skywest pilots... you can ride my jumpseat anytime... you may not enjoy the conversation, but I will be happy to take you were you want to go... if it is weight critical, I will do my best to get you on... but you might not like discussion....

If you are first or even if you are second but have a better need to jumpseat, I'll take you over an ALPA pilot.... but you probably will feel two inches tall when I get done holding up the mirror... don't like what you see? Change it!
Rez,
First of all, thanks for the ride. Second, you know I voted yes. Third, you might not like my conversation when I support my fellow pilots who actually chose "No". Not the apathetic ones who just didn't vote

Fourth, where's the bar?

Again, (honestly) thanks for NOT starting a jumpseat war.

-JP

Apathy

Definition: Apathy. Noun. 1. Lack of interest in anything, or the absence of any wish to do anything. 2. Inability to feel normal or passionate human feelings or to respond emotionally.

The reason for the apathy is justified. SAPA is a freaking joke. No wait, not even a joke. Its nothing. It means nothing, it does nothing, it provides us nothing, and it does not benefit us in any way.

And no, before you jump all over me I am not venting after the No vote. Just an intelligent, informed employee that looked at both sides of the argument. ALPA may not be the savior of Skywest, but jeez people - SAPA certainly is not what we need.

As for flying the 90/70 at 50 rates, it disgusts me that we do it. However, SAPA agreed to this on THE CONDITION THAT THE RATES changed after the aircraft were on property. They have been trying to do a lot of good things here at Skywest. The problem that very few people seem to get is that it doesn't matter. SAPA can do nothing. It can hold all of the meetings it wants, it can come up with as many proposals as it wants, it can elect as many "good" guys/gals as it wants and IT DOESNT MATTER.

It is a shame that so many of our pilot group missed the point. So many got hung up by the fact they might have to contribute towards their career. So many lost sight of their fellow pilots in the industry. Don't rock the boat - right? As stated on these boards - even the pilots at Southwest - the supposed "Eden" of flying jobs - "Go company, rah, rah" - has a union, not just a group of yes men.

To all of those professional pilots out there - not all of us endorse SAPA or are SKYW yes men. So...before you judge, before you deny JS, or anything else - know whom you are dealing with. If it is a sniveling yes man, then by all means give them what they deserve - but don't lump us all together.

To our ASA brothers, know that you are not alone. There are those of us that get it.

It is a shame that the responsibity that most of us show to ourselves, our families, and our communities somehow doesn't translate over to our careers. How many of you have health insurance, vision insurance, dental insurance, car insurance, life insurance, and disability insurance? Do we think twice about the premiums paid on those, or the deductibles? Ever purchased anything at retail store and tried to return it? Ever purchased an airline ticket or stayed in a hotel? How many of you have rented an apartment or condo? How many of you have bought a house? How many of you have bought a car? Has anyone attended college? Applied for student loans? Do you have any credit cards? Are you married?

What am I getting at??? Most, if not all of life’s transactions require us to sign contracts of some kind. They are legal binding documents that both parties agree to comply with. If you don’t pay your mortgage, the bank has the right to foreclose on your house and take it. However, they can’t do that without cause. What protects you? If you stay at a hotel and trash the room, the hotel has the right to sue you for damages.

Now, think of major things in your life that are “at will”. Not even marriage is “at will”, those that have been divorced know all about that. However, somehow it is just dandy that are careers are “at will”.

Would you want your house “at will”, or go to the hospital for care and be denied coverage even though you had paid your premiums and be told that the insurance company had decided not to cover you today. Sorry, “at will”….But wait, you have such a great, happy, fuzzy, relationship with your insurance agent, how could that be???

Having said that, those contracts in life don’t guarantee us that the other party is going to abide by the rules, but they give each party some recourse if they are not satisfied.

Would you never buy a car, even though you didn’t get a great deal on the one you have now? Would you never have health insurance because you weren’t happy with the coverage or company that you are with now? Would you never date again, even though you had a messy divorce?

Would you never work at another ALPA or “Union” carrier because the last one didn’t treat you “right”?

To all of those who voted no or chose not to vote -
I DON"T WANT TO HEAR ANY WHINING ABOUT...... pay issues, fleet issues, integration issues, quality of life issues, schedule problems, commuting issues, vacation issues, reserve issues, cancellation pay, Appendix D issues, any issue that makes this job what it is. ANY issue that ANYONE raises on either the SKYW or SAPA forums - DON"T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IT - in fact lets just take down those boards so you all can't complain.

Many of you missed the real issue here - representation.

If you are going to spend time and energy complaining about things to other pilots either while you are flying or on the message boards then answer this..

HOW ARE WE GOING TO CHANGE ANYTHING HERE? How are we going to IMPROVE "pay issues, quality of life issues, schedule problems, commuting issues, vacation issues, reserve issues, cancellation pay etc, etc...?"
HOW??????????????

All of us had reasons why we voted yes or no. Most of the arguments for either side are moot. Because what is important for me is not important for the next guy. The real question was representation. We just chose not to have real representation.

So go to your SAPA rep and talk to them. I am sure they will do their best to address your needs.

And SGU will laugh all the way to the bank...HA, HA, HA.....

Apathy - that is the normal state of things here at SKYW. Anything else and we wouldn't know what to do.

Rez,
First of all, thanks for the ride. Second, you know I voted yes. Third, you might not like my conversation when I support my fellow pilots who actually chose "No". Not the apathetic ones who just didn't vote

Fourth, where's the bar?

Again, (honestly) thanks for NOT starting a jumpseat war.

-JP

Jumpseat war? not even close... but a SKYW member of the 66% Klub doesn't get to ride my ride via the jumpseat which ALPA has allot to do with and not get an earful....

The problem is... no one will admit they are in the 66%Klub....

The problem is... no one will admit they are in the 66%Klub....

Oh, I think you'll be surprised. Many of these scumbags are actually proud of their anti-union non-vote, and they won't hesitate to tell you about it. I think you're wrong to give them a ride at all, but it's your jumpseat.

Oh, I think you'll be surprised. Many of these scumbags are actually proud of their anti-union non-vote, and they won't hesitate to tell you about it. I think you're wrong to give them a ride at all, but it's your jumpseat.
They have a Union, It's just not ALPA. Hate to point out the obvious. You're not a SKW pilot, so you personally don't know the effects of SAPA. Seems like there were a select few who had problems with SAPA and they wanted the change. The rest were content.

I laugh at you for more than just paying your way through life.

During the whole process you sit there and tell these guys you're all brothers and sisters, fighting for the good cause. And then when majority speaks, you call them "scumbags" and threaten jump seats. You're one bipolar SOB.

You are the scumbag out of the group. You're the one blowing sunshine up thier butts one day, and then cursing them out the next day. It's scumbags like you that give the Union a bad name.

To bad you couldn't buy common sense for $30k a year at GIA.

They have a Union, It's just not ALPA.
As usual, your ignorance is showing. SAPA isn't a union. It isn't recognized by the NMB, and has no legal basis whatsoever. SAPA is just a company organization, funded entirely by management, and soon to be declared illegal by the courts.
During the whole process you sit there and tell these guys you're all brothers and sisters, fighting for the good cause. And then when majority speaks, you call them "scumbags" and threaten jump seats. You're one bipolar SOB.

You are the scumbag out of the group. You're the one blowing sunshine up thier butts one day, and then cursing them out the next day. It's scumbags like you that give the Union a bad name.

They were given the opportunity to be union brothers and sisters, but 66% of them threw it back in our faces. They've had the chance to join the rest of the profession three separate times now, and they've turned their backs on us each time. No one was "blowing sunshine." We really did want to join these guys in the fight for a better profession. We wanted them to be union brothers and sisters. Now that they've turned their backs on us, they shouldn't expect us to treat them just like every other professional pilot. The choice was theirs, and they chose poorly.

Latest resources

Back