ALPA loses at Skywest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Exactly!

The next time YOU hear YOURSELF complaining about....

Your second 3 hour sit in ORD in two days, or
how bad the 36 hour layover you have in Peoria sucks, or
the six legs you have flown for 3 hours of pay with 14 hours of duty on your last day of a four day, or
how most of the trips suck, or
no good pairings anymore, or
no commutable lines, or
"they" have taken the "good" overnights away, or
"we" swapped hotels and this one sucks - why can't we change back to the old one, or
something that crew support did to you or wouldn't do for you, or
PBS screwed you and you had company forced trips, or
Sked+ issues, or
you didn't get that vacation approved, or
day off that you wanted, or
that pay issue that you are trying to get resolved was denied,

GO TALK TO YOUR SAPA REP.

I am sure that they won't be able to help you.

I don't want to hear about it.

AugerPtrl, owned by the pregnant chick. Megadeth, will you marry me?

Awwww, sorry sugarpie....I'm in love with and going to marry a very wonderful man (who works for Skywest which is why I hang out on the regionals board Augerptrl, you dumb$hit :rolleyes:)...but that's very flattering. :blush:

I'd like to point out that there isn't a great deal that ALPA would be able to do about those issues, either. I recall a SkyWest captain on reserve and hating it, complaining to a captain from another airline at one of the meet-and-greet info days about sitting ready (and I do appreciate the efforts of everyone who donated their time to come and talk to us). That captain proudly opened his contract to show that crew scheduling at his airline could "by contract only schedule us for a maximum 7 hours of ready reserve per day". Big whup; but at least it was in black and white, right? ALPA doesn't tell the regionals where and when to fly, the mainline partners do, and scheds suck everywhere, regardless of representation. SkyWest does need a union. But ALPA failed to make their case, plain and simple, and the scare tactics of Jerry the boogyman taking everything away didn't work. It also didn't help that almost every jumpseater I had from an ALPA-represented carrier (Eagle, United, Delta, etc.) told my crew that we ought to think twice about ALPA.

Yes, but at what point do we do something about our situation? You say Skywest needs a union? Which one? An attempt was already made to have an in house union such as the great Southwest, but that failed miserably. What union is going to approach Skywest now? What union would Skywest try to get?

So, again - where is the line when we man up and do something about it instead of b!tch about it. I guarantee that right now as we sit, there is a Skywest pilot on an airplane, in a crew lounge, or on an overnight complaining about the things I mentioned. As all of us, me included - do.

What right do any of us have to complain about anything that happens to us? How do justify that? You can't b!tch and complain on one hand about things that the company is doing and then not do anything about it.

Either we as lowly employees should shut the F-up and let the company do what it needs to do to make JA and the board money - cuz' remember, no matter how many fuzzies we get from them - It is a business.

In that case, we should NEVER b!tch, complain, moan, try to guess and second guess what they are doing, NEVER get involved in changing things - no matter what the cost or inconvience to us as employees. Because to do so would interfere with the goal of running a business to make a profit.

or....

If we want to have the right to control ANY part of our destiny as employees of Skywest, then it our duty to get involved and partipate.

The problem with SAPA is as much as we "partipate" in the process it does us no good. You as a dedicated, informed employee can cast your vote on a pay proposal but if SGU doesn't want to abide by it, "they" won't. And there is absolutely no provisions for us as employees to appeal that process.

We are along for the ride. "They" will run the company in the manner best to make money for the board. Plain and Simple. Black and White. Cut and Dry. Nothing personal, just business. Any issues you or I care about do not matter - Everything that has been discussed ad nauseum on this board doesn't matter to them.

Just - How are those things affecting the bottom line?

So, my point is - next time you are mad or disappointed that the company is doing something to you that you don't like or agree with, keep those thoughts to yourself and be glad you have a job.

If you want the right to change things or to voice your displeasure at the company for; PBS, the pairings, your 3 hour sits in ORD, etc, etc, etc...
Then we have to figure out a way to HAVE a voice.

Until then........Clock in, Fly Safe, Go Home.

Last edited:
I worked at Air Wisconsin, an ALPA airline for three years. Maybe I am just confused by all this love for ALPA. Can someone help?

Your second 3 hour sit in ORD in two days,
*We had these all the time

how bad the 36 hour layover you have in Peoria sucks
*I remember spending a few days in Peoria

*Most of our trips did suck

no commutable lines

*I left the Air Willy due to this reason

"we" swapped hotels and this one sucks - why can't we change back to the old one,

*yes and yes

something that crew support did to you or wouldn't do for you,

*I have a few stories to tell

you didn't get that vacation approved

*Nope, didn’t get the vacation I wanted

day off that you wanted,

*only if I found someone to switch with me

*huh, I think we are famous for this issue now

For the love of god, what did ALPA do for me? Oh sorry REZ I know I should be asking what did I do for ALPA. I think I get it now.......ITS ALL MY FAULT.

BE90....I really don't think it's about any "love" for ALPA. Anyone in their right mind knows they are a business these days too. Unfortunately, that is the choice presented for the most part......trust management or trust ALPA. If you vote against the union, you are basically saying you would rather have management make your choices for you. IMO, it would be great to have some sort of regional union but noone's stepping up to the plate with that one (Lord knows I wouldn't have the slightest clue as to how to go about it). It's about the lesser of two evils. I mean, when you vote for president of the U.S., do you really trust either of them or do you just vote for the lesser of the crooks?

Last edited:
I worked at Air Wisconsin, an ALPA airline for three years. Maybe I am just confused by all this love for ALPA. Can someone help?

Your second 3 hour sit in ORD in two days,
*We had these all the time

how bad the 36 hour layover you have in Peoria sucks
*I remember spending a few days in Peoria

*Most of our trips did suck

no commutable lines

*I left the Air Willy due to this reason

"we" swapped hotels and this one sucks - why can't we change back to the old one,

*yes and yes

something that crew support did to you or wouldn't do for you,

*I have a few stories to tell

you didn't get that vacation approved

*Nope, didn’t get the vacation I wanted

day off that you wanted,

*only if I found someone to switch with me

*huh, I think we are famous for this issue now

For the love of god, what did ALPA do for me? Oh sorry REZ I know I should be asking what did I do for ALPA. I think I get it now.......ITS ALL MY FAULT.

All right, again......... I'll type slowly..................

It is NOT LOVE for ALPA. It is dissapointment at what we have, actually do not have.

It is a desire to see things get done. It is a desire to make Skywest a little better for the employees.

Not just put the blinders on, Get Mine, and Get out!

It is a wish that us as pilots are actually represented when talking to management.

It is again the questions of What Now?

Status Quo?

If you actually read and Understood my post, I am well aware that these things happen at other regionals.
In fact, if you were astute enough to realize that those things I listed was NOT WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT, you might have actually got it.

The point is, no one at Skywest has any right to complain about things here, because we (as a pilot group) have done nothing and continue to do nothing to improve our situation.

The point is...I don't want to hear about the complaints we all have, because we have no right to complain. We just voted for the status quo. We voted to again have no real representation.

Until we can step up to the same table as management and be heard, then all of the "they did this to me", or "this sucks" crap - is just "noise".

Why did you come to skywest? STOP YOUR B@TCHING

I didn't come to SkyWest by choice. I was forced.

I work for ASA and unfortunately, SkyWest Inc. bought my company. Thusly, I'll bitch all I want to.

Latest resources

Back