ALPA loses at Skywest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually:

Don't know for sure Jerry has a contract, but I don't think he really needs one: Chairman of the Board of the parent company; largest single individual shareholder; track-record. Who's going to oust him, shareholder or Board movement? Though if he does have a contract: folks, wake up, he's the top-dog (like an industry veteran at the top his conditions of employment are probably similar to anywhere else).

Ignorance is bliss?

8th year ScabWest CRJ 700/900 CA $74

8th year XJT Emb 145 CA $73.28

ScabWest pay $1.05 (or less) per seat
XJT pay $1.46 per seat

39% higher pay than ScabWest.

So XJT pilots make a little bit more money then Skywest pilots. And they pay 2%, so deduct that. But what's your point? And Skywest pay is higher then most of the other ALPA regionals. How do you reconcile that? It is ALPA that negotiated the crap pay and work rules at theses other carriers. You seem to forget that but you say it's management's fault. With ALPA's crackpot high caliber lawyers and negotiators, boy I am really impressed (NOT!). Oh please do on to us as ALPA has f*#k the other regionals. The only reason you guys are upset is because misery loves company.

ScabWest pay $1.05 (or less) per seat
XJT pay $1.46 per seat

39% higher pay than ScabWest

Maybe Jerry just has a really small f&#k stick, so you can't feel it?

Woah...so sorry. Maybe one day we will be equal to all of you and be part of the "master race" just like you.

Hey do you remember last year when you called everybody scabs for "underbidding" on "your" flying? What are you guys now?..considering you scabs under bid your "union brothers" over at ASA to take "their" flying out of LAX?

I'm an RJ CA at SkyWest. My buddy is a CA at XJT. He's been there almost 2 years longer than I've been here. Yet, I'll make more than him to the tune of about 15K.

Try that with me and I will slap you into last week! Just kiddn man......hope you are still chilln on reserve and getting that toy stuck alot!!!! Im glad I made the move....things are bueno!!!

I'm an RJ CA at SkyWest. My buddy is a CA at XJT. He's been there almost 2 years longer than I've been here. Yet, I'll make more than him to the tune of about 15K.

That's because you're an open time whore. Anyone can make tons of money, even on crap payrates, if they whore themselves out for 99.9 hours of block per month. Most of us would prefer to actually see our own houses instead of yet another night in a hotel, however.

99.9 hours of block per month. Most of us would prefer to actually see our own houses instead of yet another night in a hotel, however.

I've never even approached that much. Thanks for the predictable name calling, though.

Everyone hates a winner!

RECENT RESEARCH into the darker recesses of human behaviour supports the received wisdom that “everyone hates a winner” and suggests how much people are prepared to sacrifice in order to bring winners down.

Last edited:

He should make that much more seeing that he is flying an aircraft capable of carrying 80 percent more people!!!

Perhaps

Come on, Joe, you're smarter than that. That was just a cop-out from those people. They didn't want to vote for representation, so they cooked up some bullsh*& reason having to do with "rhetoric" and other such BS. The truth is, they were just selfish and had this crazy idea in their heads that ALPA might screw up the growth and quick upgrades. Nobody makes a decision as important as this based on some "attacks" from a few people on a message board or in a crew van. You give these NO voters too much credit. Acknowledge them for what they are: selfish.

Skywest Pilots:

As an ALPA member, I have to wonder why you voted "no". I tried to think of some reasons why you voted no so perhaps we could learn to do a better job of selling ALPA in the future. :

Perhaps you are familiar with the economic history of the airlines.
Perhaps you are familiar with free market supply and demand principles.
Perhaps you thus wondered why ALPA represented airlines were unable to compete with their low cost competition in the late 1990s and early 2000s.
Perhaps you wondered why of the nearly 10,000 pilots furloughed between 2000 and 2005, nearly 8000 were ALPA pilots.
Perhaps you wondered, that being the case above, how exactly did ALPA representation look out for their career security?
Perhaps you realized that considering the history of the airlines, and free markets, ALPA negotiation strategy is fundamentally flawed.
Perhaps you were wondering where ALPA got all that money to fete you during their organizing push.
Perhaps you were wondering if any ALPA members objected to their dues money, (originally contributed to fund the representation of their needs to management), being used to fund organizing at Skywest.
Perhaps you read the ALPA Bylaws, which have no mechanism for holding ALPA accountable for the way they would spend your dues money.
Perhaps you wondered why the first thing that ALPA will negotiate if they had organized you, was an agency shop clause, which requires you to pay dues, whether you are a member or not.
Perhaps you thus wondered what was more important to ALPA – your money or representing your concerns to management.
Perhaps you wondered why, with an industry leading compensation package and reasonably good relations with management, ALPA felt that you needed organizing.
Perhaps you then realized that organizing Skywest was in the best interest of ALPA and not necessarily in your best interest.
Perhaps you read some ALPA pamphlets and realized that ALPA builds unity through the rhetoric of envy, greed, jealously and even hate and you didn’t want that to destroy your current work environment.
Perhaps now, you are wondering why ALPA radicals are seeking to punish you, thus forcing you to adopt their philosophy and world view.
Perhaps you are turned off by the fact that members of a purportedly democratic representative entity would engage in such fascist behaviors.
Perhaps you were thus turned off by the implication that you would have to check your free speech rights with the receipt of your membership card.
Perhaps you, likely being a conscientous objector. were repulsed by the prospect of (as I have received) threatening letters delivered to your house, phone calls in the middle of the night, and coffee and worse poured into your chart case.
Perhaps you read the ALPA Code of Conduct and wondered how this squared with "100% safety drives, sickouts, slow taxi drives, and other unofficial job actions during contract negotiations.
Perhaps you were turned off by ALPA’s affiliation with the AFL-CIO which recently teamed with the ACLU to sue prevent the Federal government from finding the illegal immigrants in its membership.
Perhaps you were further turned off by the Meatpackers union, a brother AFL-CIO union to ALPA, who sued to stop ICE from conducting raids to apprehend illegal immigrants, who just so happened to be dues paying union members.
Perhaps, as a Christian, you just couldn’t bring yourself to support the destruction of livelihoods of perhaps thousands of innocent non-union employees (through a strike) just to line your pockets with a few more dollars.
Perhaps as a Christian, you realized that nearly all of the above violates any number of Christian teachings and you realized that,you just couldn’t support the means and methods ALPA employs.
Perhaps you realized that while unionization might be in your future, ALPA isn’t.
Perhaps ALPA faced with their failure to organize Colgan and now Skywest for the third time, will engage in a period of self-examination and fundamentally change their paradigm.
Yeah, and then again, perhaps it will rain gold doubloons tomorrow.

Latest resources

Back