• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran Pilots Fired!!!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's interesting to note that the 177 furlough notices are pilots with a hire date of July, which is still a probie right now, but in Sept, they will be voting member of the NPA. Does the contract say anything different for probie put on furlough vs the rest of the pilot group?

Good luck to all, i learned a lot during my time there.

The most senior pilot on the furlough/termination list has a 9/10/07 hire date. Here's what the contract has to say about probation....

Section 2.H. Probation

1. A pilot will be on probation for a period of twelve (12) calendar months (through the end of the 12th calendar month) from the pilot’s initial check-ride as a pilot with the Company, or successful completion of the pilot’s first annual/recurrent check-ride, whichever occurs first. A pilot’s probationary period will be extended by any period during the twelve (12) month probationary period in which the pilot is on furlough or extended leave of absence of thirty days or more.

2. Termination, suspension, or discipline of a pilot during this probationary period will not be subject to the Grievance and Arbitration provisions of this Agreement. The Grievance and Arbitration provisions of this Agreement are applicable during a pilot’s probationary period for all other provisions of this Agreement. Except as specifically provided for in this Agreement, probationary pilots enjoy the same rights and privileges accorded non-probationary pilots.

And here's what it says about furloughs:

Section 17.B. Furlough:

1. Procedure:

a) First, at the Company’s discretion, the Company may make an offer for volunteers for Leaves of Absence, prior to involuntarily furloughing any pilot. The company may offer at least as many leaves of absence, of reasonable durations, as needed to prevent any involuntary furloughs.

b) Second, those employees that are employed by the company to perform flight duties other than line flying, such as training, maintenance ferry flights, ground school training, and simulator training will be discharged prior to any line pilot being furloughed.

c) Third, line pilots will be furloughed in reverse seniority.

Pretty clear how a furlough is supposed to go, huh? Well, the company is using 2.H.2 to say they can terminate any probationary pilot for any reason...and then saying that they'll furlough them instead of terminating them if we waive 17.B.1.b and allow those guys to remain employed in the training center.

:puke:​

Last edited:
The scabs on your list have already shown you what they will do.

SCABS are cancer and should always be treated as such. All of those who aren't old enough to have been through a strike and have been giving them the benefit of doubt, pay attention. The next back stabbed could be yours.

Very wise words.... You guys need to remember a lot of these guys you have been giving the benefit of the doubt have already stabbed others in the back. Be very careful...

Thx, J41.. It all makes sense now... Hope the LOA deadline will reduce that number. I can't even start to imagine how that poor soul on the bubble getting "f"ed, going to work with a brave face, knowing come Sept. may be the last time he/she wears the AirTran uniform...

Sadly, it seems only like the tip of the iceburg for the whole industry.

This is nothing new. In 2001, Ken Kruger, director of operations at Midwest (you know, Midwest Express), fired our entire newhire class. ALPA stepped in and said, "no, you're going to put them on furlough status."...

So you're one of the "MD-80 Seven"?

Regardless of if you are on the bubble or not. The moral is so bad and the fact that MGT doesn't give crap about us has show there true colors. I am leaving ASAP. I will never step foot on another shatran flight and will never recommend them to anyone. I hope thousands do the same. They have lost there only asset, the employees. I doubt the trust will ever be regained but at least they got the 15 codgers right? Oh wait they are also threating the company with legal actions on ground of age descrimination. I shat you not. Its like a sope opera.

I will have to agree with LTD. I think the company has overplayed its hand. Either way it has lost the support of the front line employees. If the company really is that bad off then it will just hasten the closing of the doors. If it is just a ploy to screw with our negotiations they may have set the company on a track toward chapter 7.

I have never seen a group of employees go above and beyond for a company before recent events. But I think the company has lost that goodwill and much more. They continue to take huge bonuses while taking away hard working employees below industry average pay and benefits. I do not see them making any step to show that they are willing to sacrifice for the company, just willing to sacrifice the employees.

I too am having a hard time picturing myself staying at a company which seems to have such a hostile view of its employees. Even if they do not go ahead with the terminations and do furlough there was still the childish threat that I will never be able to forget. When will such tactics happen again if I do stay?

Good luck to all.

Didn't want to start a new thread over this, but did something happen around 1130 today at AirTran? The stock went from being down about 7% like most in the airline industry and plummeted to over 23% (sitting at 1.43 right now). There was a huge volume spike which seems to have sparked it. Just curious something else is going on or if an investor dumped a bunch of shares.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back