Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age limit will increase to 67 by years end.

• Thread starter pave driver
  • Start date
  • Watchers 42

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you are looking for fairness, the Airline Industry ain't the place.

Never has been. Never will be.

If you didn't realize the risks going into it, you should have taken a job with the Government.

I hope if you are investing for your retirement you stick to Treasuries as opposed to Equities...then again.....maybe not....nothing is for certain except taxes and Big Government.

Don't like big government? Why did guys like you beg big government for a handout? It happened to be in the form of a age change, but you wanted any handout you could get. AND you're obviously addicted to it, since you just got the big handout you wanted and you are out begging for another. You're no better thatn the worst welfare offenders.

I just turned 50. How old are you?
Lets face it. This isn't about fitness or skill or mental acuity. This is about wanting what the other guy has and playing the victim card. And if you can't have what the other guy has for whatever reason, the next step is to ridicule, mock or denigrate that individual. That's the way we do things here in America now. It's easy. Everyone gets a First Place Trophy.

Uh, you're the offender here pal. The hammer fell on the old guys and you were going to have to finish the season with no trophy [pension]. So you bawled and cried to the coach [big government] about how it was unfair someone else might get a better deal than you. You campaigned for what someone else was going to get. And now you are campaigning for it again. And btw: I call BS on just turning 50 with 25k hours. Very convenient number for a very young age.

Mocking, vilifying and denigrating your fellow pilots solely because you are upset at a federal government rule that is delaying your ability to upgrade.

Oh yes, I do see the irony, especially from you who see's himself as the "why can't we all just get along" type of guy.........

Until your ox is gored......then you revert to the meanest, nastiest, jerk around.

Yes, I DO see the irony. And I am looking forward to your 60 th birthday when you hang it up... But I bet you won't. Because guys like you are hypocrites.

Be real careful throwing around the term hypocrite.

Anyone read Outliers by Malcom Gladwell? He mentions a "Theory of ethnicity in plane crashes". I'm still reading this part, but it appears one could also theorize that ageism could replace ethnicity as it relates to our profession (instead of "crashes"). This ridiculous charge to uphold advanced age over everything else is just as backward as letting ethnicity crash airplanes. But both still seem to be happening. It's complete BS to say a pilot could not fly past 60 when it always had been an option. However, that's the loudest outrage you hear out of certain pilots! And now just as retirement progression starts again, the same old pilots roll out the same ageism speak like nothing ever happened. This is failed to begin with because in our case as pilots, it's really not the advanced age that these pilots want to protect, it's their own seniority that they happen to have.

This will happen for the following reasons.

1. Pilot shortage in EU
2. Mainline CEOs in the U.S. realize that keeping guys on longer costs less because:
a. moving a guy off the top creates a huge number training events.
b. It preserves the guys working in the sweatshop "regional partner" system
c. Almost anyone who would be upgrading into the left seat is already topped out
3. The Baby Boomers want it and they are the largest, loudest, and most organized voting block in the country.

Last edited:
Now to the point of can a 70 year old be capable of flying as a Captain. Answer is some yes and some no. The problem really is that the U.S. airman medical system is very weak and isn't really set up to detect these issues in the first place. A lot of us, myself included wouldn't be able to pass a flight physical from other places in the world, particularly Asia. All the U.S. system is set up to do is make sure guys aren't dropping dead in the seat on a regular basis. Also the safety systems in place are very slow to relieve someone from command for incompetence so there is very little chance that a guy who is no longer mentally or physically up to the task will be pushed out that way.

Last edited:
So the lesson in this for those of us not near the top of our mainline careers is that we don't want to be the guys who climb on board the ship and pull the ladder up behind us. If we want to leave this profession better than we found it we need to undo some of the crap that has been done. Mostly we can do this by fighting tooth and nail to reverse the scope trend and race to the bottom it creates for those coming up behind us.

"If he knows of professional incompetence... he will not shrink from revealing this
to the proper authorities within ALPA"

That's the part that you must have overlooked.

Never happens. Pro standards will accomplish what the parties involved agree to. If one or more pilots are uninterested, pro standards will do nothing. It's a toothless idea. It is useful for maybe minor disputes.

Last edited:
Where does it say that a pilot should by-pass the Professional Standards.
Safety or other committees set up to handle these issues.

Better yet, if you think these committees aren't doing their jobs, why don't you volunteer your time and help them do it better.

Common sense tells you this. ALPA's committee process for pro standards is window dressing.

Common sense tells you this. ALPA's committee process for pro standards is window dressing.

The problem with a "Code of Ethics," is that there are the few unethical people that always try to rationalize their unethical behaviour.

Maybe, if a few Captains bypassed Pro-Standards, and wrote letters
about you as you did, they might save a whole generation of F/Os
from flying with a real DH.

Ya buddy the sword cuts both ways. My guess would be a few of those letters would have gone like this: I respectfully recuse myself from flight duty's with this pilot for safety of flight issues, example: I observed this pilot not acting a fool, doing his job, not yelling at people, not acting like he works out of his living room.

I live a simple life. I come to work. I read the checklist. Do my job. I don't say stupid shi%, go home and collect the pay check. I leave nothing for the dinks.

Last edited:
The problem with a "Code of Ethics," is that there are the few unethical people that always try to rationalize their unethical behaviour.

You should immediately report me to Pro-Standards. They'll fix my wagon won't they?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back