Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age limit will increase to 67 by years end.

• Thread starter pave driver
  • Start date
  • Watchers 42

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The public will insist that we keep the most experienced pilots on the job.

We can't afford to risk our safety on the thousands of brand new, relatively
inexperienced pilots that will be joining the major airlines.

The only people against increased experience and safety are those inpatient pilots that
couldn't get hired at the fast-growing, profitable airlines.

These guys think that they don't need to pay their dues, or learn on the job.
They think that they already know everything.

Basically, they don't know what they don't know. They are the most dangerous guys
in the business. They don't respect the knowledge gained through experience on the
job.

It's pretty scary listening to brand new first officers complain about waiting a few years
for their upgrades.

I think there needs to be more respect for the profession, and the pilots that have
been there before us , and have led the way.

Every Embry-Rddle graduate feels that they're ready for an airline command
immediately. But are they, really?

Evey air force hot-shot thinks he's way better from day one. Is he really?

I respect my profession, and aspire be be as good or better than the guys that were
senior to me, and led the way.

There are no "Short Cuts" in this business.

Sorry Buck,
65? I will be lucky to make it to 60, while I like to fly...

I'm with you. Once I pay my house off (should be by age 50), I'll become extinct without any outside prompting.

The only people against increased experience and safety are those inpatient pilots that
couldn't get hired at the fast-growing, profitable airlines.

These guys think that they don't need to pay their dues, or learn on the job.
They think that they already know everything.

Basically, they don't know what they don't know. They are the most dangerous guys
in the business. They don't respect the knowledge gained through experience on the
job.

It's pretty scary listening to brand new first officers complain about waiting a few years
for their upgrades.

What about first officers who are not brand new, who have already been furloughed twice, who've already been through one airline shutdown, who already have thousands of hours of jet time? Do they need to pay more dues? How much is enough, as far as dues are concerned?

What's scary is someone who can't tell impatient from inpatient lecturing others on knowledge. Heck, that's damn near petrifying.

What about first officers who are not brand new, who have already been furloughed twice, who've already been through one airline shutdown, who already have thousands of hours of jet time? Do they need to pay more dues? How much is enough, as far as dues are concerned?

What's scary is someone who can't tell impatient from inpatient lecturing others on knowledge. Heck, that's damn near petrifying.

+1 with this post
Many of us have been more than patient and rolled with the punches thru more than a decade of upheaval. I can assure you we have amassed thousands of hours of experience and more than paid our dues. These pilots have enjoyed the advantage of movement provided by age 60 and then gained yet another 5 years to get their house in order. In my opinion that is more than enough time. While I respect those who have come before I ultimately have an obligation to provide the benefits of my hard work to my own family. It has been a pleasure flying with many of them and I have learned a lot but the time has come to move on. Kwick you paint with a very broad brush implying that we are impatient and greedy for wanting exactly the same benefit that the generation before us has enjoyed. I disagree completely with your assessment and would challenge you do a thorough review of the majority (there will always be exceptions) of the previous generations careers and then compare it with what the majority of what this generation of pilots have had to endure. Once complete could you again please share with us how you think WE are the greedy ones.

"BTW my contact at ALPA national asked me how I felt about age 67, I said I hope you can find someone who wants to fly that long."

That means nothing, they'll do what want, one way or another. A good story will be made up, they'll have an explanation, but they'll still do opposite what the membership wants if need be.

Do you honestly think anybody is buying that
"we'll retire before we have to" line??

"There's an old saying in Tennessee... Well, I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee... Says 'fool me once, shame on...., fool me... If you fool me, can't get fooled again"

I would not want my career to benefit based on discrimination against others based
on race, religion or age or gender.

Last edited:
I would not want my career to benefit based on discrimination against others based
on race, religion or age or gender.

You forgot national origin, food preference and favorite color. I mean, if you're going for the non-sequitirs, might as well use them all.

You forgot national origin, food preference and favorite color. I mean, if you're going for the non-sequitirs, might as well use them all.

? I think you might mean "non sequiturs"

You're welcome.

Sometimes bad attitudes come across in an interview situation.

Having a positive mind-set usually yields better results and makes for
a better environment on the flight deck.

Good interviewers can spot malcontents.

? I think you might mean "non sequiturs"

You're welcome.

Sometimes bad attitudes come across in an interview situation.

Having a positive mind-set usually yields better results and makes for
a better environment on the flight deck.

Good interviewers can spot malcontents.

I think you might mean "mindset".

You're welcome.

Latest resources

Back