Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age limit will increase to 67 by years end.

• Thread starter pave driver
  • Start date
  • Watchers 42

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Early oil days analogy;
If you are given indications that your oil well will be drying up in a few years, do you:

A) Do nothing but simply increase the flow of that existing well and hope for the best?
B) Dedicate resources to new oil discovery.

--aspiring airline pilots = new oil discovery--

or "Greediest Generation" (rhymes better with 'greatest'). I know someone said it before, but one way to quell this is for DOT/FAA to limit the advancement of Pt.121 flying past 65 to "SIC privileges only". My guess is that the ego on over 1/2 the guys wouldn't let them stoop to being a lowly 'co-pilot' again...so call it a career. Also; I think it should not be a retroactive privilege...as in if you mandatorily retire at age 65, no going back to fly another 2 yrs. Must be 'current'/currently employed when/if limit is extended to be eligible for privileges.

I'm sorry, but I don't think the 'pilot shortage' is going to justify doing something like this. If we are truly heading for a 'pilot shortage', we need to concentrate on bringing people 'into' the industrial pipeline; as in airlines buy some c150s and let aspiring pilots tool around in them until they get their ATPs and then offer them a liveable wage! I don't think letting thousands of old gummers who should've retired years ago fly another two years and continue to clog up the seniority list is necessarily the correct approach. Heck- age 60 was the mandatory age for like 50 yrs and now---4yrs after it is changed to 65; people are already b*tching about lengthening it more?!?!?!? The f*cking greed is unbelievable!!!

IMHO, of course...

You guys need to realize how much this age thing is driven by ICAO and not the FAA. What ever the world does we will too. Right now they are trying to get removed the one guy under 60 part of the rule.Will take at least 18 months. 67 or 70 is years away. The UN moves like molasses .

FYI is just had a little surgery and got the best guy in town.He is 66.

Last edited:
You guys need to realize how much this age thing is driven by ICAO and not the FAA. What ever the world does we will too.

It's not like the US follows the world in too many other aspects, why must we follow the world in this?

You guys need to realize how much this age thing is driven by ICAO and not the FAA. What ever the world does we will too. Right now they are trying to get removed the one guy under 60 part of the rule.Will take at least 18 months. 67 or 70 is years away. The UN moves like molasses .

FYI is just had a little surgery and got the best guy in town.He is 66.

You may be right, but have you ever heard of the metric system?

:beer:

It's not like the US follows the world in too many other aspects, why must we follow the world in this?

Guess its because when you belong to an organization ( ICAO ) you try to best you can keep in step with the rest of the members. Age 65 rule is good example.People have been trying get the rule changed for at least 40 plus years and most likely from when the American CEO got it implemented so he wouldnt have to pay the longevity of his senior pilots.However nothing really happened till ICAO changed its rules. When you think about it having forginers fly into he US at age 60 plus and then not allowing your own citizens to do the same wasnt going to work.ALPA could have resisted all it wants but I don't think things would have changed much. I was reading something recently that was saying the right to work was a human rights issue.WTF..

Guess its because when you belong to an organization ( ICAO ) you try to best you can keep in step with the rest of the members.

We also belong to the UN.

+1.

And I doubt we'll be able to stop another age increase. My suggestion to everyone who opposes any further age increases is to advocate a phased in increase - where the age limit changes by 1 month every 3 months. This would change the age limit from 65 to 70 over 15 years. As a sweetener to those who want to increase the age limit, make the new limit 75 to be phased in over 30 years. I'd prefer to keep the line at 65 but Pandora's Box has been opened.

F^ck that

I've carried the load in enough awkward situations where the gummers can't lead or fly or both anymore- I have serious issues with age 60+ captains- this is not a popular view, but I think we should let people retire when they're ready, but they should not be captains over 60, in charge of evaluating themselves as they age-
It's dumb- nobody's good at that.

F^ck that

I've carried the load in enough awkward situations where the gummers can't lead or fly or both anymore- I have serious issues with age 60+ captains- this is not a popular view, but I think we should let people retire when they're ready, but they should not be captains over 60, in charge of evaluating themselves as they age-

Amen!

F^ck that

True. I've had my share of "sleepers" too. They are generally ok to fly with but it's pretty easy to see they are struggling with either memory or fatigue. It would suck to have all the top FO lines filled by these guys who just can't hang it up though. Imagine the top 500 lines filled with the gummers.

Latest resources

Back