Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age limit will increase to 67 by years end.

• Thread starter pave driver
  • Start date
  • Watchers 42

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think it would be interesting to know if the 4 [four] guys who got put out of work when age 60 first became the limit decades ago, would think it was right to put 4000+ pilots out of work to raise the age to 65?

I say out with the old expensive parts and in with the new inexpensive parts. Medical insurance is through the roof for senior citizens especially as a group!

Livinthesim,

You are the problem with this Country and this Profession....

Not them.

kwick;2409756 Good interviewers can spot malcontents.[/QUOTE said:
Talk about malcontents and what's wrong with this Country and profession... Where is the appreciation for the fact the age just got raised to 65?!

I hope they institute 70 years old just to watch guys like you have their heads explode.

Then just about the time the 70 year olds start retiring, they train Rampers to fly UAV's.......

I've had friends discriminated against in this profession because they were black.

I've had friends discriminated against because they were female.

I had bad eyesight, but was correctable to 20/20, and I was discriminated against.

There is always some redneck or neo-nazi that thinks discrimination is a good thing and yearn to profit from it.

Get there on your own, not at the expense of someone else.

Most of the guys I flew with who were approaching 65 were mentally past their prime. Their either lacked confidence in their abilities or they took far too many risks, not caring about the outcome because, afterall, they've made their millions and this job is just icing on the cake for now.

One guy couldn't be bothered with going around weather because it was too much effort to coordinate with ATC, he flew through the tops of buildups and rocked the FAs in back. He even snapped at me when I would call and warn them to sit down. On one flight my daughter, who was non-revving with us, told me how people were screaming in back. He made her so scared after that flight she wouldn't step on an airplane for 6 months afterwards.

That same guy told me he advocated going below minimums when I took a Captain to the safety committee for doing just that (busting mins). His words, "You do what you have to to make it all work... blah, blah". I told him he needs to retire now with that mindset. Minimums are minimums, rules are rules. This isn't a flying club. He and I were friends but he told everyone in the base how I was disrespectful for telling him that cause he's a Captain and I wasn't at the time.

Another guy simply had no flare technique whatsoever.... he would just add a ton of power and slam it on. 3 pointer every time. Then in the taxi-in he would go on and on about how the winds screwed him up or ATC, whatever. He busted his PC and subsequently cried about it (literally). He put in his papers to retire because he knew it was time to go but the CPO refused to accept it. They just gave him more training and got him done and back on the line. The FO on that ride was PISSED because he got an unsat basically for the Captain's lacking skills. He had to get a PC every 3 months as a result. He wrote letters about the Captain's performance, or lacktherof, etc. Nobody listened. All these guys who are gumming their way into an unsafe situation, you can write them up all you want... between the company, the union and an inept FAA, nothing will happen to them.

Another guy would plow right through thunderstorms to make schedule. He would do that with other FOs. I wouldn't let him do that with me. But it makes for a long night when you have to police such ignorance. He sent more than one FA to the hospital during his career.

Another guy put up window shades (over cockpit windows) while the FAA was on the jumpseat. Telling the FAA guy: "I'm not going to sit here with the sun blasting me like that." He was 64. Are you kidding me? With the FAA in your jumpseat? He's been written up and sent for "Fitness for Duty" eval numerous times. Each time the union saved his job. That's a good thing, unions protecting us, but sometimes they go too far.

Most of these guys don't give two-shts about what their behavior will do to their FOs career. I let it be known right away that I wouldn't tolerate such sloppy airmanship so they made a wide berth when flying with me. But there are plenty of FOs who are non-confrontational, etc. and let the gummers get away with far too much. Factor in new-hires are too scared to speak up, because they have to get a pilot evaluation report completed, and you're talking a huge compromise in safety.

A lot of you say, well why didn't you write him up? Why did you sit there? I didn't sit there, I battle these guys every time they step outside SOP. But that gets exhaustive. I don't come in to work to get stressed out and fight. And the Captain is the final authority, like it or not. So it's not a safe system to just give blanket approval to fly to whatever age. I never agreed with 65 but that ship has sailed. Now they want 67, 70, etc. I wouldn't allow a 70 year old doc to operate on me, I don't care how much experience he has. Same goes for pilots.

Look, anyone can fly when it's clear and a million. Heck my non-tech oriented mother could do it. We get paid the big bucks for when the proverbial stuff hits the fan, as it did on two of my flights last week. I would've have hated to be in either of those situations with a gummer. A lot of these guys (sure not all, but a lot) simply aren't operating on all cylinders. Until we come up with a system to check all that, present system of joke medicals and PC/ line checks done by their buddies doesn't cut it, there needs to be an age limit.

Besides, the youth of America have huge employment issues. There are no jobs because nobody is retiring anymore... because we've built a selfish society propelled by consumerist greed. Got to have the latest car, gadget, boat, Ipad, Iphone, etc. So must keep working to pay for all the Chinese crap we buy.

When you turn 65. Step aside. Stop being so greedy.

That goes for all professions. Retire gracefully.

Last edited:
True. I've had my share of "sleepers" too. They are generally ok to fly with but it's pretty easy to see they are struggling with either memory or fatigue. It would suck to have all the top FO lines filled by these guys who just can't hang it up though. Imagine the top 500 lines filled with the gummers.

Better than the top 500 captains.

At least they could be evaluated by other captains who can then recommend they hang it up

How is it done at say a netJets? Fairly big list- lots of old pilots- how do they know when it's time? Do you end up forcing them out

I contrast your description and views of Senior Captains with the way I viewed the WWII,
Korean and Vietnam era Captains I have flown with.

Flying with those guys are some of the greatest memories of my Career even with all the bankruptcies, furloughs and strikes.

I'll take my memories over yours any day......

I hope you see the irony in valuing your memories of vets who retired at 60 over the memories YOU ARE CREATING FOR US.

I AGREE. 100%.

I hope you see the irony in valuing your memories of vets who retired at 60 over the memories YOU ARE CREATING FOR US.

I AGREE. 100%.

Mocking, vilifying and denigrating your fellow pilots solely because you are upset at a federal government rule that is delaying your ability to upgrade.

Oh yes, I do see the irony, especially from you who see's himself as the "why can't we all just get along" type of guy.........

Until your ox is gored......then you revert to the meanest, nastiest, jerk around.

Yes, I DO see the irony. And I am looking forward to your 60 th birthday when you hang it up... But I bet you won't. Because guys like you are hypocrites.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back