Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age limit will increase to 67 by years end.

• Thread starter pave driver
  • Start date
  • Watchers 42

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you are looking for fairness, the Airline Industry ain't the place.

Never has been. Never will be.

If you didn't realize the risks going into it, you should have taken a job with the Government.

I hope if you are investing for your retirement you stick to Treasuries as opposed to Equities...then again.....maybe not....nothing is for certain except taxes and Big Government.

What whymeworry? wrote was good.
The CPO is too scared to do anything due to a lawsuit, is friends with pilot, "they are going to retire in a year anyway," etc. We have a system that protects these pilots that create very dangerous situations. The worst part is that these are the d!cks that have no idea how off they are. It's not 100% an age thing, but those losing some of their "awareness" may be the last to realize it unless someone lets it be known. I'd rather have to retire a couple years early than crash an airplane and possibly kill people, but pride is a b!tch for some. A more discriminating (yes I said it) safety net is required either by the company itself (ha) or the FAA.
A four day of having to argue with a pilot to just follow SOP or do what is expected of their job is insane.

If you are looking for fairness, the Airline Industry ain't the place.

Never has been. Never will be..

Fairness has nothing to do with it. YOU cannot evaluate your own mental capabilities better than the guy sitting next to you. Geezer captains do not fly with other old timers so they really cannot comment on the issue. My over 60 capt slept over an hour on the way back yesterday because his body could not handle the 3am wake up call. You guys have to put your pride down and realize your capabilities are on a downward trajectory.

I just turned 50. How old are you?

Most F/O's I fly with are between 35 and 50. I have to say on average they are probably between 20 to 50 lbs overweight. Eating habits from what I have seen are less than optimal. Most drink more than recommended. Perhaps we should have some real fitness evaluations every 6 months for all pilots. I'm game. Are you? I put in between 60-90 days a season skiing both downhill and cross country. Compete in both. Teach in downhill.
Mountain bike and tennis in summer with a couple of mini-tri's each year. I would be more than confident on passing a real fitness evaluation but I bet over half the tubby hipster wanna be's couldn't do it. Before you start passing judgement on the mental and physical fitness of the guy in the left seat, perhaps you take a look in the mirror and be honest with yourself first. Take a look at the guys walking down the concourse next time your at work. Not much difference between the tubby middle aged F/O's or Captains and the tubby or obese Flight Attendants which represent the majority.

Lets face it. This isn't about fitness or skill or mental acuity. This is about wanting what the other guy has and playing the victim card. And if you can't have what the other guy has for whatever reason, the next step is to ridicule, mock or denigrate that individual. That's the way we do things here in America now. It's easy. Everyone gets a First Place Trophy.

Most F/O's I fly with are between 35 and 50. I have to say on average they are probably between 20 to 50 lbs overweight. Eating habits from what I have seen are less than optimal. Most drink more than recommended. Perhaps we should have some real fitness evaluations every 6 months for all pilots. I'm game. Are you? I put in between 60-90 days a season skiing both downhill and cross country. Compete in both. Teach in downhill.
Mountain bike and tennis in summer with a couple of mini-tri's each year. I would be more than confident on passing a real fitness evaluation but I bet over half the tubby hipster wanna be's couldn't do it. Before you start passing judgement on the mental and physical fitness of the guy in the left seat, perhaps you take a look in the mirror and be honest with yourself first. Take a look at the guys walking down the concourse next time your at work. Not much difference between the tubby middle aged F/O's or Captains and the tubby or obese Flight Attendants which represent the majority.

Lets face it. This isn't about fitness or skill or mental acuity. This is about wanting what the other guy has and playing the victim card. And if you can't have what the other guy has for whatever reason, the next step is to ridicule, mock or denigrate that individual. That's the way we do things here in America now. It's easy. Everyone gets a First Place Trophy.

I'm 41 and in exceptional shape! Those people you described are a large part of the pilot population and I agree with you. Problem is, the problems get exponential as age increases. So, the guys like you yourself described are now flying over 60 and are having a hard time hacking it. The younger slobs still have the gift of youth to pull them through. You are not the normal pilot and most of the guys I've flown with over 60 are in the group you previously described and its not good. That being said, your assumptions about me and many others are incorrect.

. My over 60 capt slept over an hour on the way back yesterday because his body could not handle the 3am wake up call.
Right, this has never happened to a pilot under the age of 60. In my 30's flying the Emery hub out of KDAY at night, that was the only way you could sure you would be awake for the approach the your destination.
icon12.gif

Canada seems to have figured it out, booting the Captain from the left seat at 65 to the right seat. If it's an ego thing, those guys will just retire. If it's a monetary thing, they will stay. If they fall asleep while flying because they are old, they will be gone soon.

Bye Bye---General Lee

If you encounter anyone who is a detriment to your career, who obviously is not well, and/or glaringly dangerous. That could be someone who is north of 60, or not.

Then just take matters into your own hands and refuse to fly with them. Annotate/document the issues, use lawyer proof phrases like, "Due to Safety of Fiight". Email them to the company chief pilot, H.R. and D.O.. Forget Pro-standards, they have a legal obligation to represent all members equally. As a result of this, the union pro-standards has no recourse to adversely affect either member. What ends up happening in pro-standards will be nothing but a, "Cant we all just get a long".

This also works great for the general a$$hole in the bunch, my personal favorite. These are rare instances, but they do occur.

Last edited:
My guess would be if ALPA did not sell out and capitulate on pensions over the past 15 or 20, years we would not be having this conversation.

But ALPA is all about ALPA first and foremost.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back