Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age limit will increase to 67 by years end.

• Thread starter pave driver
  • Start date
  • Watchers 42

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The top ten reasons you know you are flying with a captain that is over 60 (65)....

1. He / she asks you if you have the communal Preparation H tube "over there"..
  2. The flight attendant delivers the new trash bag and a bib...
  3. You ask the Captain if he/she would like to go out for dinner after you check into the hotel. The Captain responds..."Depends" (the response wasn't non-committal, he/she was simply deciding whether or not to wear a pair of "Depends").
  4. When going over the next IFR approach, the Captain sports a new pair of "Quad-focals", and is impressed that he/she can now easily read the "fine print".
  5. While deplaning, a spare walker was left behind next to the gate checked baggage. The Captain grabs it and yells "Dibs!".
  6. In between flights, you and the Captain go to Starbucks for a pick-me-up. The Captain orders a "Prune Latte".
  7. The Captain's bag of snacks seems to have an inordinate number of treasures with "extra fiber".
  8. Although it's pretty warm out, the Captain breaks out a sweater to "break the chill".
  9. Whilst taxiing VERY SLOW, you think to yourself that the Captain is demonstrating leadership by example - solidarity for a better contract. Then the Captain exclaims....."Whew! We we're going too FAST!!".
  10. During the trip you and the Captain share family backgrounds. The Captain breaks out pictures of GREAT GRAND CHILDREN!!:eek::eek:

The top ten reasons you know you are flying with a captain that is over 60 (65)....

1. He / she asks you if you have the communal Preparation H tube "over there"..
  2. The flight attendant delivers the new trash bag and a bib...
  3. You ask the Captain if he/she would like to go out for dinner after you check into the hotel. The Captain responds..."Depends" (the response wasn't non-committal, he/she was simply deciding whether or not to wear a pair of "Depends").
  4. When going over the next IFR approach, the Captain sports a new pair of "Quad-focals", and is impressed that he/she can now easily read the "fine print".
  5. While deplaning, a spare walker was left behind next to the gate checked baggage. The Captain grabs it and yells "Dibs!".
  6. In between flights, you and the Captain go to Starbucks for a pick-me-up. The Captain orders a "Prune Latte".
  7. The Captain's bag of snacks seems to have an inordinate number of treasures with "extra fiber".
  8. Although it's pretty warm out, the Captain breaks out a sweater to "break the chill".
  9. Whilst taxiing VERY SLOW, you think to yourself that the Captain is demonstrating leadership by example - solidarity for a better contract. Then the Captain exclaims....."Whew! We we're going too FAST!!".
  10. During the trip you and the Captain share family backgrounds. The Captain breaks out pictures of GREAT GRAND CHILDREN!!:eek::eek:
And if things work out for you, you too may be old some day. For many of pilot friends they never got to be old. And you will be thankful that you can still eat the high fiber snacks, as opposed to facing Colan Cancer. And if you are not using Prep H, then you don't have enough hours in the sit yet. BTW I think the age should raised to 75, then I would have chance to get one of those great CRJ jobs.
icon26.gif

Last edited:
And if things work out for you, you too may be old some day. For many of pilot friends they never got to be old. And you will be thankful that you can still eat the high fiber snacks, as opposed to facing Colan Cancer. And if you are not using Prep H, then you don't have enough hours in the sit yet. BTW I think the age should raised to 75, then I would have chance to get one of those great CRJ jobs.
icon26.gif

Relax Francis, I already am "old". I've been getting mailings from AARP for years. Waking up and making noises that my dad used to make. Enjoying a nice bowl of figs (I actually do like them). If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have treated my body a lot better! :D

Mocking, vilifying and denigrating your fellow pilots solely because you are upset at a federal government rule that is delaying your ability to upgrade.

It didn't just delay upgrades, it ruined careers and families. How many more must be ruined for the sake of a few more Corvettes? How much is ever enough?

Ruined careers and families? Really?

Drama Queen to say the least......

If moving the Retirement Age from 60 to 65 ruined your career or family, I would venture to say they were already a mess.

If moving the Retirement Age from 60 to 65 ruined your career or family, I would venture to say they were already a mess.

Oh the Humanity!!!!

I would not want my career to benefit based on discrimination against others based
on race, religion or age or gender.

Police officers have to retire at a certain age. Also, you can't become President of the United States unless you are at least 35 years old.( Article 2 of the Constitution). Isn't that age discrimination? Yeah, it is.

The main reason it changed from age 60 to 65 is because ICAO forced the FAA's hand due to a larger pilot shortage in Europe. When the Euopean LCCs expanded, there were very few other pilots available, primarily because it is even more cost prohibitive there than it is here, resulting in a shortage. Europe started to allow age 65, and some of those senior pilots at airlines like Turkish Air had pilots over age 60 flying widebodies to the US.

If there has to be an age increase, I would hope it goes like Canada's--- which did increase it to age 70 (I don't want 70 at all, btw). For them, at 65 you have to go to the right seat of a narrowbody or cruise officer on a widebody (with no takeoffs or landings--on widebody). Bad overall (especially for newhires), but it preserves upgrades.

Bye Bye----General Lee

Last edited:

You do know that legacy airlines hired in anticipation of retirements that one day never came- and then immediately furloughed those they'd just hired within the year? You know that, right?

Many of those were forced to accept recall after their 9/11 furloughs, bypassing as long as they could- leaving good $80k jobs to go back- just to be jobless-

I know 3 who's wives made them choose after that: aviation or their marriage.

You know that's what the rule change did to many, right? Please tell me you haven't convinced yourself that this rule change didn't f^ck over thousands? It's not all about SWA FOs who didn't get to upgrade as fast- I don't feel bad for them either- but it furloughed thousands at every other airline- and it caused stagnation almost everywhere else-

Mocking, vilifying and denigrating your fellow pilots solely because you are upset at a federal government rule that is delaying your ability to upgrade.
im not "upset" at my situation at all- and certainly not overly concerned about an upgrade- I love SWA and would rather retire here in the right seat than work anywhere else- just dont pretend the rule change didn't put a whole lot of very experienced middle aged pilots in a real bad spot- that's you being the jerk if you don't see that

Oh yes, I do see the irony, especially from you who see's himself as the "why can't we all just get along" type of guy.........

Until your ox is gored......then you revert to the meanest, nastiest, jerk around.

Yes, I DO see the irony. And I am looking forward to your 60 th birthday when you hang it up... But I bet you won't. Because guys like you are hypocrites.
haha- I'm pretty sure no one on FI views me that way- ;) but I promise I don't take this site as seriously as you do apparently-

But if you're worried about a few words on a screen- you're right- I pull no punches, so I'd suggest not trying to "gore my ox"

Wave,

We had our DO make that decesion in the corporate world. A lot of old retired guys at the fractionals. They had a lot of experience, but it was challenging envoriment for them. I saw and flew with guys that where out to lunch. Some where 60years old and Couldn't even do their job nor fly in to challenging environments. The SA level was so poor, the young guys where baby sitting all the time.

What the FAA needs to do is ask all the fractional pilots about this issue. I guarantee that they would say the same thing. If this goes to say 70, I want captain hazardous duty pay. It's not a discrimination thing. It's the mind losing the capacity to function. It is a SAFETY issue.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back