Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age limit will increase to 67 by years end.

• Thread starter pave driver
  • Start date
  • Watchers 42

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All pure get out of my seat.

Yip, it's the other way around. It's your generation that has "get out of my seat" syndrome (and get off my lawn syndrome). Those seats belonged to the next generation of pilots. .as they always had.. but it was the boomers who told the rest of us "get out of my seat". And then had the balls to sit there and act like they were entitled to it because they think they were the only generation who'd "paid their dues". Try spending 7 years in the right seat at a regional. You can tell me all about the guys who sat sideways for 10 years but they weren't making regional wages back then.

Air Traffic Controllers retire at 57. Why do you think that is? Because they have to think quickly and stay sharp. And you lose that in old age. It's part of the natural cycle. Accept it.

Yip, why won't you answer my questions?
What question was that?, you have sent me many. Besides it is normally futile, you have already made up your mind and any answers I give would be quickly refuted. Besides my answers don't really count, after all would would an old guy working for a non-sked know anyway.

Yip, A FA said "It is unfair that our pilots have to retire" I explained it is fair. The pilots before the generation that is now retiring had to retire. So those pilots reaped the benefits, so should we. But then I explained to her it is also a safety thing. She understood, then went on to tell me some of our 70 plus FA's are losing it. I have been in a cockpit with many 65 plus pilots some still have it, but most are losing the mental capacity to handle quick thinking. I have seen the 1,000 mile stare in their eyes. I don't want to babysit. Babysit while the guy in the right seat is getting paid more. That doesn't make any sense. I think 65 is the right age, after that it is time to move on.

Just had a 95 year old pilot fly our B-17, still has a current FAA second class medical. Did a good job. He has been flying since 1935. Was a B-17 Instructor pilot during WWII. He told us the the FAA won't let him fly on his 135 certificate anymore. So maybe the Feds have an upper limit of 95 for 135 ops. Good to hear I have aanother 25 years of flyign the DA-20 in fromt of me. ha ha

Just had a 95 year old pilot fly our B-17, still has a current FAA second class medical. Did a good job. He has been flying since 1935. Was a B-17 Instructor pilot during WWII. He told us the the FAA won't let him fly on his 135 certificate anymore. So maybe the Feds have an upper limit of 95 for 135 ops. Good to hear I have aanother 25 years of flyign the DA-20 in fromt of me. ha ha

I think it is great that he can do that, and for you to fly a DA-20. You know and I know that their are some great pilots that are of age and wisdom. I have learned so much from them. A friend of mine at SWA said it is a genetic thing not so much a age thing. Throw in dementia and other factors Safety is compromised. I have flown Freight/Charter-135,91,91K,121. The 121 Asset is worth 2 billion dollars. Most important, you have more souls on board.

You must work for ActiveAero (USA JET)?????

Really old pilots in really old airplanes, what could go wrong? [Reno] We've had a lot of accidents recently in the airshow/exhibition flying community. I certainly don't want to see that sort of flying end, but the margins for error are going to have to be visited. It seems that way... Although too, I have to say often it seems there is someone in the equation who is bound and determined to push something too far just to prove a point. We're seeing it right now with age.

Be careful with that thing Yip.

Last edited:
Really old pilots in really old airplanes, what could go wrong? [Reno] We've had a lot of accidents recently in the airshow/exhibition flying community. I certainly don't want to see that sort of flying end, but the margins for error are going to have to be visited. It seems that way... Although too, I have to say often it seems there is someone in the equation who is bound and determined to push something too far just to prove a point. We're seeing it right now with age.

Be careful with that thing Yip.
Nothing to worry about, the 95 year old was flying with a 62 year old DAL Captain.

Latest resources

Back