Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age limit will increase to 67 by years end.

• Thread starter pave driver
  • Start date
  • Watchers 42

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You should immediately report me to Pro-Standards. They'll fix my wagon won't they?[/QUOT

I'm sure they already know who you are.

I don't condone yelling at someone, or being a jerk, but that doesn't make
someone an "unsafe pilot."

Maybe, the Pro-Standards committee at your airline disagrees with your
definition of "safety."

Last edited:
Don't like big government? Why did guys like you beg big government for a handout? It happened to be in the form of a age change, but you wanted any handout you could get. AND you're obviously addicted to it, since you just got the big handout you wanted and you are out begging for another. You're no better thatn the worst welfare offenders.

Surely you acknowledge this is a bit of a stretch. "No better than the worst welfare offenders.)????

No one has mentioned that 2007 to 2012 were safest 5 years in airline history. Keeping experience in the cockpit has to be part of this.

Surely you acknowledge this is a bit of a stretch. "No better than the worst welfare offenders.)????

I'm not sure the context is too far off really? This Sacha guy is a real POS. If he is what he says he is (if) then what's he need 67 for? Obviously he's the type person that will never have enough until others have nothing.

I fly with the UAL furloughs. Great pilots and people, all very highly experienced. There is not one of them who won't be able to describe going back to work after 65 and not having an older pilot rub their nose in it. Not in anything less than an overt way, even when it was obvious that the younger worker was getting furloughed. The only pilots interested in seeing 67 (or any further increase) are the sick bastards who want to see more blood on the floor.

Of course I realize I'm a CAL pilot involved in SLI and that our own MEC's position toward these furloughs does not look favorable. All I can say is the end result will be balanced. The dirty laundry got aired, no back room SLI deals. The furloughs will not be stapled.

No one has mentioned that 2007 to 2012 were safest 5 years in airline history. Keeping experience in the cockpit has to be part of this.

You have to also keep in mind the worst accident [Buffalo] occurred mostly because there was a lack of experience in the cockpit. Raising the retirement age put thousands of experienced pilots out of work. As a result of the reckless manner in which it was changed, there was no effort made to allocate the experienced pilots across the profession. Seeing the harmful effects of the age change on others was just as important to the old, angry, treacherous pro age 65 guys as receiving the positive effects were. So 3407 get's caught in the crossfire. If the retirement age had been raised the right way (without seniority aggression and in consideration of broader safety impacts) those two inexperienced pilots might not have been flying together.

Last edited:

I find that hard to believe with the number of deadly and catastrophic accidents in those 5 years.

Where'd you get that statistic?

Based on your logic, I can also argue that any particular safe year prior to age 65 legislation was due in part to the number of pilots who left at 60.

Last edited:
On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 10:59 AM, USAPA Government Affairs Committee ‪<[email protected]>‬ wrote:

Government Affairs Committee

July 3, 2013

Age 67 Retirement Hoax
By now you have probably heard a rumor and seen an authentic looking email about the mandatory retirement age going to 67. There is NO verifiable evidence that any change to the Age 65 rule is being considered by any Congressional Committee or Governmental Agency at this time. Web boards have reported differently, but we can find no evidence from any credible source that this is true. CAPA met with Administrator Michael Huerta in DC two weeks ago, and the last question of our 45-minute meeting, which included Larry Rooney; Mark Niles; Maryann Demarco; and Pete Machtel, was a question from Pete regarding extending the mandatory retirement age. Mr. Huerta stated that there has been NO discussion on the issue. Shown below is the original announcement from 2007 dealing with the change from 60 to 65, as well as*****a portion of the HOAX email from 2012.
Government Affairs Committee
------------------------------------------
REAL ANNOUNCEMENT from 2007:
Release No. AOC 03-07
January 30, 2007
Phone:*****(202) 267-3883

WASHINGTON, D.C. ? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Administrator Marion C. Blakey today announced that the FAA will propose to raise the mandatory retirement age for U.S. commercial pilots from 60 to 65. Speaking before pilots and aviation experts at the National Press Club, Blakey said that the agency plans to propose adopting the new International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) standard that allows one pilot to be up to age 65 provided the other pilot is under age 60.
The FAA plans to issue a formal Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) later this year and will publish a final rule after careful consideration of all public comments, as required by law.
?A pilot?s experience counts ? it?s an added margin of safety,? said Blakey. ?Foreign airlines have demonstrated that experienced pilots in good health can fly beyond age 60 without compromising safety.?
On September 27, 2006, Administrator Blakey established a group of airline, labor and medical experts to recommend whether the United States should adopt the new ICAO standard and determine what actions would be necessary if the FAA were to change its rule. The Age 60 Aviation Rulemaking Committee (ARC) did not reach a consensus recommendation but did provide detailed insight and analysis that will be helpful as the FAA develops a rule.
Since 1959, the FAA has required that all U.S. pilots stop flying commercial airplanes at age 60. In November 2006, ICAO, the United Nations? aviation organization, increased the upper age limit for pilots to age 65, provided that the other pilot is under age 60.
The November 29, 2006 Age 60 ARC report, appendices, and public comments are available online at*****www.regulations.gov, docket number 26139.
HOAX EMAIL from 2012:
Subject: FAA propose to raise mandatory age to 67
WASHINGTON, D.C. " Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Administrator Michael Huerta today announced that the FAA will propose to raise the mandatory retirement age for U.S. commercial pilots from 65 to 67. Speaking before pilots and aviation experts at the National Press Club, Huerta said that the agency plans to propose adopting the new International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) standard that allows one pilot to be up to age 67 provided the other pilot is under age 60. "

Boom.... Roasted. :smash:

I'd also like to know what data you use to make such a statement?

Please, cite your sources.

(But know, I've already begun my research- and when you consider global statistics - {you know, we HAD to change age upward bc everyone else was doing it...} you aren't going to like what you find.

In addition- safety data can't be relegated to major accidents only.

I was on FI when this rule change was being debated and occurred. Ever see me write about it? I hated the cold turkey implementation, but I agreed that 60 was young. Now I don't believe anyone ought to captain an airliner after age 60- and that comes from my direct experience - the majority are safe 1 out of 3, 1 out of 5- I have to watch- in essence, I'm the defacto captain without the legal authority, position, or paycheck.

I have serious issues with that.

Most 60+ pilots are at majors flying with very experienced FOs who have been captains for a long time before.
Do not discount what our group is saying and punish us for keeping the aircraft safe-

Keep the experience in the flight deck yip- just keep it in the right seat where captains actually get paid to watch and assess them.

Pilotyip,

Their is a difference between experience, and to have the mental capacity or memory to apply that experience.

To the best of my memory there was one 121 fatal accident. Colgan 3407. Please correct me if I am wrong Again all of this is pure get out if my seat the same as 6 years ago

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back