Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age limit will increase to 67 by years end.

• Thread starter pave driver
  • Start date
  • Watchers 42

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is safety just about deadly accidents, yip?

Sounds like management...

To the best of my memory there was one 121 fatal accident. Colgan 3407. Please correct me if I am wrong Again all of this is pure get out if my seat the same as 6 years ago

You do realize that those "safest 5 years" you tout, had the same pilots in the years prior?

Almost to a man (or woman) on here, there are increasing instances of older captains losing their grip on command. Buddy of mine said his 64 year old captain slept two hours one leg last week.

Again all of this is pure get out if my seat the same as 6 years ago

Except that the age change crowd got the exact retirement age increase they were asking for 5.5 years ago! Just about the biggest windfall any small group of a larger group of professionals has ever been handed in this Country. A Country who's birthday happens to be today. How about instead of carrying on with your ageism crap, you sit down and read the Declaration of Independence today. Then ask yourself if, in view of what has been done in the last 6 years for old pilots, does this Country owe them any more?

Except that the age change crowd got the exact retirement age increase they were asking for 5.5 years ago! Just about the biggest windfall any small group of a larger group of professionals has ever been handed in this Country. A Country who's birthday happens to be today. How about instead of carrying on with your ageism crap, you sit down and read the Declaration of Independence today. Then ask yourself if, in view of what has been done in the last 6 years for old pilots, does this Country owe them any more?

Okay, you want to discriminate against Blacks, Jews, Females, what else?

We get it, you're a redneck Nazi, that wants to benefit by discriminating
against others. Just go away!

Earn it on your own, and not at someone else's expense!

Last edited:

I am a redneck, but that's all you got right.

Be interesting to know what the founding fathers would think about there being an amendment to the Constitution they wrote called "Fair treatment for experienced pilots". Written by a bunch of pilots who can only rationalize their craven, greedy effort by telling the rest of us "Life isn't fair"...

To the best of my memory there was one 121 fatal accident. Colgan 3407. Please correct me if I am wrong Again all of this is pure get out if my seat the same as 6 years ago

Remember AF447?

Here's another big one from 2010 that is largely unknown outside of Asia and Europe.

AirBlue Flight 202 (Google it), an Airbus A321, was captained by a 62 year old, 35 year veteran 747 Captain who had retired from the national airline and wanted to keep flying, and joined a new Airbus operator. Long story short, while trying to fly a circle to land approach (at the completion of a flight that he ironically spent berating and humiliating his Air Force Graduate young FO, testing him on knowledge and bragging about his flying superiority), he ignored 21 EGPWS alerts and was described in the official report as "uneasy and confused" ..and crashed into the side of a hill, killing 150 or so passengers and crew.

The report also commented that it was apparent that the younger, sharper FO was fully aware of what was going on, but due to cultural sensitivities and the fact that the Captain just spent the last couple hours trying to humiliate him, he wasn't able to get through to the captain. Nor was ATC.

Quote from the article on wikipedia, which contains quotes from the investigation: In particular, the report noted that the captain ignored or did not properly respond to a multitude of Air Traffic Control directives and automated cabin warning systems. The report also claimed that the first officer passively accepted the captain's actions, after the captain on multiple occasions took a "harsh, snobbish and contrary" tone with the first officer and "berated" him.

Yip, you can fight for your generation all you want. But older and more experienced as a combination doesn't always equal safer. Remember that old saying: you can't teach an old dog new tricks? What happens when 61 year old 737 CA tries to upgrade to a 787 or A330? Maybe nothing. But in reality, at what age would those skills be more easily learned and practiced? What about a 70 year old 777 Captain after flying a 14 hour segment trying to deal with an emergency during an approach into some mountainous region?

The reason that accident is so relevant isn't because it happened to a crew with a captain who just "happend" to be over 60. There is a solid possibility that this crash occurred because this captain was past his expiration date as a professional aviator.

Last edited:

What's wrong with discriminating based on cause? I don't have pedophiles over to babysit my children. I discriminate against them. I don't invite my recovering alcoholic friends over to keggers. I discriminate against them. I don't want 80 year old firemen or police officers. I discriminate against them. I don't want women in the infantry. Once again, I discriminate. But, the point is all my reasons have cause. People discriminate every day as to who they hang out with, who they date, where they shop and so on. So, get over your Nazi names and hyperbole. Pilots should not command aircraft over the age of 65. They really should not be doing it past the age of 62. If you are a captain, you have no clue what you are talking about. If you are an FO that has to fly with these guys and you have a hint of observation skills, you would probably discriminate too.

Remember AF447?

AirBlue Flight 202 (Google it), an Airbus A321,
I said part 121, to the best of knowledge, neither of these were 121. But this is also Cherry Picking. We sight could many more accidents that happened with pilots under age 60. All pure get out of my seat.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back