Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would SKYW inc trade ASA PBS and dumping ALPA for 1 list?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good point. Not that JA couldn't, he's quite resourceful. But it would be quite timely and very, very expensive. Doubled that last post, dammit!

Trojan

I guess my original point was that I understand lawyers have contracts to work with but who will actually pay the lawyers to fight it? ASA? They are owned by SKYW and therefore its like fighting yourself. Or ALPA? And again, pointless.

Anyways, I hope for the best and all I am saying is I hope people actually consider all angles and not just blindly decide ALPA and line bidding is the only way. The UAW and the auto manus also decided pensions were the way too, and high wages for little work. If we could all stay home all the time and get paid, life would be great but we can't because a business won't survive. There must be give on both sides to recieve!

Ok! ALPA supporter=good. ALPA questioner= scab. Got it! :rolleyes:

No wonder the decertification movement over there is gaining strength!

What a ridiculous thread!

Is Skywest continuing to grow? Check your facts, please.

ASA is shrinking, Skywest is not. ASA = 1500 active pilots, Skywest = 2800 active pilots. The Skywest pilot group has grown by hundreds over the past 3 years. The ASA pilot group has shrunk. ASA has 140 pilots on furlough, Skwest has 0 pilots on furlough. ASA has lost contract rights with Delta on 20 crj 200 aircraft. Skywest has not lost contract rights on Delta aircraft. From a business standpoint, ASA is giant pain in the ass to Skywest INC. Wake up! Ask US Air pilots if ALPA is useful...

Speedtape, in the scope of this size of transition I would make an educated guess that the amount of money saved by skywest inc. would be substantial enough that transitioning to a SAPA type of union, and decent replacement contract, would be a small part of the puzzle.

SAPA type of union? Isnt that an oxymoron?

I've spoken to many, many SkyWest Mgrs on my commute, and they all say the same exact thing....."When it makes financial sense to Jerry, he'll merge 'em. Union/Non Union doesn't matter, if it's financially beneficial to Inc. it'll happen." Makes sense, Pilots, ALPA, etc. do not matter in the affairs of business. Like it or not, we're jellyfish flowing with the tide, for the most part.

So in other words, they will only do what is in the shareholders best interest...as they should. People just need to realize that pilots best interests dont always line up with the shareholders.

You also can't negotiate for something that's not for sale.

I beg to differ. This is exactly what SKW did with XJT. It was an unsolicited offer. And they sure as hell did negotiate.

ALPA told the ASA pilots that they can't negotiate for Delta flying. They said it belongs to the Delta pilots. Skywest negotiates for Delta flying. Why can Jerry do it, but not ASA ALPA? It doesn't compute for many of us who have given many years to ALPA.

Regional pilots cannot negotiate for their mainline flying. That is the purvue of the regional management with the mainline management within the confines of whatever scope the mainline pilots negotiated or didnt negotiate for. Its not a very hard concept in my humble opinion.

In a perfect world I would choose to have had skywest vote in alpa, and then proceed to one list. I know that would have led to a significantly better working agreement for the skywest and asa pilots. The problem is that we all would likely agree that it would be impossible now. Skywest pilots have had there say numerous times and SKYW inc. wouldn't want alpa.

As for our losing alpa, I must say that there will be some things that are certainly missed. What we would gain would be incredible though.

I dont think ALPA is the problem with SKW management. Its any union, except for maybe a "SAPA type union.";)

But I think your assumption that gains would be incredible if you decertify is faulty.

Dumping alpa and getting one list has nothing to do with holding the line or being a coward. It has everything to do with ASA becoming part of a company that strives to win.

One example of this is skywest performance checks. This is a huge benefit that comes to their employees because they want their company to do well. No ALPA line was held there because it was not needed.

If your company treats you well, and has a track record of doing exactly that then you should embrace it, not be militant. If they starting losing focus on treating us well we can consider representation at that time.

Are you saying that in its present form, ASA is not a company that strives to win?

As for performance bonuses I can tell you from personal experience that they will use that as leverage against any other type of guarantee type of pay, such as a B fund.

I trust Skywest inc. I believe that they have proven their worth to me as an employee, and I would be willing to give up ALPA to gain the security that I believe will come with being part of SKYW.

Again, from personal experience, I dont trust their management because they have proven their contempt for prospective employees and the ramifications to its current employees. I can tell you that we were given a contingency that required decertification and we could see how badly that would turn out for all employees. Trust me, its not worth it.

SAPA=Union.. Yes that is an oxymoron.

I have no doubt that there would be an on-going issue of feeling under-represented if we were to lose alpa and join sapa. I also agree that the company will do what is best for their shareholders.

In my view, if we continue on as we are now we will eventually face either being sold off or like comair.

If we, as a pilot group, join skywest I believe that we will alleviate these two issues entirely and solidify the future of our company.

-

As for the issue of losing alpa representation, it was stated above that there would likely be alpa drives in the future. I would be a supporter of that.

To reiterate, I am looking into the future with the belief that being one with skywest is in our best interest. I understand that there would be some problems both getting there and once we are there, but these problems pale in comparison to what the future could hold for us if we remain in this position.

Last edited:
SAPA=Union.. Yes that is an oxymoron.

I have no doubt that there would be an on-going issue of feeling under-represented if we were to lose alpa and join sapa. I also agree that the company will do what is best for their shareholders.

In my view, if we continue on as we are now we will eventually face either being sold off or like comair.

If we, as a pilot group, join skywest I believe that we will alleviate these two issues entirely and solidify the future of our company.

-

As for the issue of losing alpa representation, it was stated above that there would likely be alpa drives in the future. I would be a supporter of that.

To reiterate, I am looking into the future with the belief that being one with skywest is in our best interest. I understand that there would be some problems both getting there and once we are there, but these problems pale in comparison to what the future could hold for us if we remain in this position.

What does the future hold? You cannot predict the future anymore than I can, so quit trying to use fear to motivate.

I'm looking into the future with the belief that being one with Delta is in our best interest. I understand that there would be some problems both getting there and once we are there, but these problems pale in comparison to what the future could hold for us if we remain in this position.

I have a solution for me. Get the resume ready, and when the hiring starts, be on the leading edge. The one list I want is not the Skywest one, it is the one that was negotiated last year and resides on Virginia Avenue.

I'm beginning to think that Fishandfly is really just a Ford & Harrison plant.

Why is PBS tied to this? I bitched about PBS until it was voted in at my airline. It is the absolutely best thing that has ever happened from a scheduling perspective. Substantially more days off (19+) and consistent 95 hour lines

Latest resources

Back