Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who is the biggest loser you have flown with?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bringupthebird said:
You only need a multi-engine rating to carry passengers in a twin. Maybe a passenger turned him in.

He had no passengers in it, was just him. yes you need either a multi rating or solo endorsement. He had neither.

flap operator said:
We have these great productivity breaks at Mesaba for like, 4 hours. The Mall of America is a 10 min train ride away and lots of crews go to the mall for food or the movies or just to get the heck out of the airport. Most don't change... but let it be known here that these folks are at work. They're not there on their day off. We have a few dorks at Mesaba, but I don't think they'd be caught dead in uniform on their day off, where fellow XJers might see them. =)

FO

That is no excuse. put your epilauts in your pocket and leave your hat in the crew room. I assume that on reserve they still have time to stop in the crew room unless they take their flight case to the mall with them. The over coat I would say is acceptable but even that I would take off and carry.

alright..I could write a book
One guy (captain)
1would constantly fall asleep, even on his pc's
2 I had to explain what a crab angle was
3 did'nt know how to use anti ice
4 did'nt know how to land or take off in a cross wind
5 wanted to do a no lights takeoff at night. Why? I asked. his response "well don't you think its important to know how to just incase the lights don't work?" ?????
6 Tornadoes and severe TS all over the area. Sirens going off, people running for shelter. when company tries to pressure us to take off anyway and I refuse the response is "well what do you expect we do? They are the boss we have to do what they say"

another guy (major tool) failed his check airman ride 3 times. When I was offered the position and turned it down, I told him. His response "I'm glad I F##@in failed"
Yet another would die his blue jeans dark navy and wear that with his uniform.

NYCPilot said:
This reminds me of a question a lot of pilots seem to get wrong.

On an ILS if the runway environment is not in sight and a missed approach needs to be executed, are you allowed to go below DH?

Most pilots for some reason say no, thinking that it's the same as an MDA, where you must level off and not descend below it if the runway is not insight.

The correct answer is yes, you may descend below DH on an ILS even if the runway is not in sight. Only of course to get yourself established on the MAP, not to land. Since you are in an established descent flying the needles, you will end up going below DH while arresting the descent and transitioning to a climb attitude.

Is it just me or is somthing missing here?

Had a guy working for us in the mid 90's flying freight out of OAK. He had the OAK-WMC-TVL-OAK run in a 402. Couple of boneheaded things:

Always tried to be at 10,000 by Mt. Diablo...why? Because that's the altitude the airliners came in at.

Flew from OAK to WMC at 21,000. Yup...unpressurized plane at 21K. Sucked up more O2 in one week than the rest of us had in two years.

Flew from RDD to OAK at 17000...on an IFR flight plan when it was CAVU over the entire western half of the US. 160 miles. He was subbing on my run and ATC asked him if he didn't mean 7K (my normal IFR alt). He responded he got better gas mileage at 17K.

Flew from OAK to WMC with "steam" coming out of the right engine. Called maintenance and told them the radiator was leaking. In actuality, he had a fuel line leak that was pumping raw avgas over the red-hot turbocharger. We often wonder why he didn't wind up a ball of fire over the Sierra's.

He flew from WMC to Ely, Nv at 24,000. Wondered why the engine ran like crap. He called maint. and told them the engine ran rough at 24k. Maint said, "You idiot! You have unpressurized mags!" He said that shouldn't be problem because the aircraft was certified to 25K.

Used to say, every morning to OAK ground, "Top o' the morning to ya!". His last name was O'Connell and he thought he was being "Irish".

Guy was a manic-depressive. Left us to fly right seat on a C421 out of WMC. Now he instructs the 421 for FSI in LGB. Most pilots who go to his class for refresher say he doesn't have a clue about the airplane and he's been there almost 10 years.

Eric

NYCPilot said:
This reminds me of a question a lot of pilots seem to get wrong.

On an ILS if the runway environment is not in sight and a missed approach needs to be executed, are you allowed to go below DH?

Most pilots for some reason say no, thinking that it's the same as an MDA, where you must level off and not descend below it if the runway is not insight.

The correct answer is yes, you may descend below DH on an ILS even if the runway is not in sight. Only of course to get yourself established on the MAP, not to land. Since you are in an established descent flying the needles, you will end up going below DH while arresting the descent and transitioning to a climb attitude.

?????

Uhhh...I was under the impression that we had to halt the descent and level off at the DH if the runway environment (lights, etc...all that junk) were not in sight...not go below it for any reason...

gkrangers said:
Uhhh...I was under the impression that we had to halt the descent and level off at the DH if the runway environment (lights, etc...all that junk) were not in sight...not go below it for any reason...

No, you go from a glideslope descent all the way to DH and immediately initiate the missed. Because of inertia, almost every airplane will 'sag' below DH to some extent during the transition. It is not the hard deck of an MDA paradoxically!

gkrangers said:

Inertia.......no way to immediatly stop a decent, you will always go below DH a bit in a miss approach senario, especially in a large jet.

It is not unheard of to actually touch the mains in a missed from a CATII approach........all the reason to be exactly on the ILS!!!

Latest resources

Back