Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who is the biggest loser you have flown with?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
hand on gear handle

Hmmmm
exchexflyer said:
I had an FO do this to me last week. If I'm doing something wreckless tell me. Don't put your hand on the da#n gear handle until I say, "gear down!" I've had captains do this occasionally, but an FO? Who does he think he is?

How did this guy get the job ?
Lear Wanna Be said:
Are you serious? Holy cow. More details please. Man, I would consult an attorney over this. Just goes to show, there are some crazy mo fos out there.

Sig said:
EXACTLY. I can't believe that attitude... and a precision approach is what it is, it isn't just standard it's inherently done that way. I don't care if you're in a heavy or a hangglider- that's how it's flown. Sounds like the genius that came up with extending, retracting, and extending the flaps on final for short fields.

WOW.
I dunno, maybe its that I've never flown an approach down to actual minimums, in real weather. I'm used to always going on the missed, so I slow my descent in anticipation of that. (We're talking a matter of the last 30 feet here) I also know I have 10,000 feet of runway avaliable...I'm not making excuses, just trying to get across what I do.

Last edited:
gkrangers said:
But I still don't see whats non-standard about leveling off at the DH. Its a Cessna, it doesn't need to sink below it.
That's not the point. It's a bad habit, bad form, and it's not proper procedure in ANY airplane, regardless of size. It'd probably earn you a bust on a checkride. If you do it in the real world, there will be times when you have to missed when you could've gotten in had you stayed on GS.

DH means Decision Height. That means- at that altitude on the glideslope- you make the decision whether to continue or go missed.

I don't see what's so hard to understand about it- it's almost common sense. But hey, if you want to do it the wrong way, risk busting checkrides, and be the guy going missed when everyone else gets in, have at it! :nuts:

Last edited:
EatSleepFly said:
That's not the point. It's a bad habit. It's bad form. It's not proper procedure in ANY airplane. It's a bust on a checkride. If you do it in the real world, there will be times when you have to missed when you could've gotten in had you stayed on GS.

DH means Decision Height. That means- at that altitude on the glideslope- you make the decision whether to continue or go missed.

I don't see what's so hard to understand about it- it's almost common sense. But hey, if you want to do it the wrong way, risk busting checkrides, and be the guy going missed when everyone else gets in, have at it! :nuts:
I get what you are saying, and I'm flying the GS all the way down. I then look up, and go missed or land. Like I said, my level off is probably caused by anticipating a missed approach, because I've never had to actually fly an ILS down to 200 feet.....and the fact that I've been led to associate the DH with a MDA. It does make sense now...I'm an idiot...carry on...

Gee, aren't we glad we caught this before I flew an RJ? ;)

Last edited:
Nah, not an idiot. I distinctly remember having to hammer that into the heads of almost every instrument student I had. It's a common mistake I think.

Im surprised nobody mentioned the fact that you can go below DH if the runway lights are in sight..You may continue to 100ft and at that time must have the runway environment in sight to land. Approach lights are not the runway environment. Runway lights, reils, red terminating bars, or of course runway constitute the runway environment.

Just flew with a captain who was a former Marine. First leg he asks me why I didn't do the military route. My HONEST response was that I simply was never interested. His response was, "sure you were. You just didn't want it bad enough."

Phawk U!

He has quite a reputation around my company!

Latest resources

Back