• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Wheels up

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
1000s were attracted to aviation because of the pay, lifestyle, and benefits of the 121 world during the regulated years. Very few were able to get there except for primarily military pilots and some lucky general aviation folks. What destroyed 121 compensation was the regional industry (inexpensive way to gain experience), bankruptcies, deregulation resulting in low cost upstarts (an abundance of experienced pilots from the previous category, Braniff, Old Continental, Eastern to fill the new seats.), and several economic downturns where furloughed pilots went to the aforementioned jobs. It will be a long time before the tide turns. I wouldn't expend too much energy on this. There will always be someone willing to do your job for less as long as it is relatively easy to become minimally qualified.[/QUOTE]

Been there, done that! .......Not pretty, but that's the way it is. The only observation I would make is that the tide is about to change, and it will change very quickly.

Fishman, I have to admit, these guys make sense

10/250 is probably not gonna work? It will be much higher by the time they go line by line through the contract?

Other union frac guys, take heed at what we are going through!!!!!!!!

It will........happen to you! Why?????

Cmon sillies!!!!!!! JH will need a new job after he leaves "Sweat Jets"!!!!

I agree. There are plenty of pilots willing to work for peanuts. My attempt is to help others see their self worth. When enough pilots won't accept $70k jobs, salaries will go up. We are getting there in the 121 world, but I am concerned for the 135 world. Where are new pilots going to get their 1500TT to get to the airlines? What are they willing to do to, at what price to get the 1500? That's right. Work for peanuts.

We are skilled laborers folks. Know what your skills are worth.

I prefer the new fangled horseless carriages, but they cost money.

Spoken like a Fat Cat fractional pilot.:blush:

In this case, "peanuts" is a relative term. If you were a kid coming out of flight school and half your friends couldn't find jobs in or out of aviation, how good would 70K sound for flying an airplane? When employers can no longer find willing candidates, salaries will go up, but that will attract more people to the industry which will again put downward pressure on salaries. If the need becomes greater than supply, we'll get whatever we ask for. Until then, the current pilot job market is what it is. You can't expect to get a windfall for market conditions that haven't occurred yet. 10/250 is a pipe dream as is 180K for pt 135 King Air captain. If those numbers ever become a reality, flight schools will be jammed packed with new meat willing to cut your throat. Count on it.

Yup, unbelievably there are pilots out there ( seems to be a lot of NJA pilots) who think its easy to find a high paying aviation job....

I find it funny with all of this money bickering days off a month haven't been discussed.

70K a year for a King Air PIC working with 5 hard days off a month....not so hot.
70K a year for a King Air PIC work with a scheduled 16+ days off a month....not so bad.

QOL isn't 100 % about how big your paycheck is....and maybe that is why we are in this mess.

Spoken like a Fat Cat fractional pilot.:blush:

In this case, "peanuts" is a relative term. If you were a kid coming out of flight school and half your friends couldn't find jobs in or out of aviation, how good would 70K sound for flying an airplane? When employers can no longer find willing candidates, salaries will go up, but that will attract more people to the industry which will again put downward pressure on salaries. If the need becomes greater than supply, we'll get whatever we ask for. Until then, the current pilot job market is what it is. You can't expect to get a windfall for market conditions that haven't occurred yet. 10/250 is a pipe dream as is 180K for pt 135 King Air captain. If those numbers ever become a reality, flight schools will be jammed packed with new meat willing to cut your throat. Count on it.
Meow...

If those numbers ever become a reality, flight schools will be jammed packed with new

Well, unless somebody leads the way, that will never happen.

It has to start somewhere?

It stymies me that you guys aren't yelling "Go Netjets"!!!!

Didn't Flex and Options both get raises after our 2005 contract?

At least we are fighting for a better life, you should be grateful for that alone?

Latest resources

Back