Wheels up

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hmmm...

Looks like I'm getting under the skin. I must be doing something right.

Nervous companies might have to start paying up Gret???

I'm suggesting that it is better to know what you are worth and go get it.

If these companies can't get enough pilots at $70k, $100k, $180k then the free market will drive up salaries.

Very true, but they CAN get plenty of qualified pilots at those rates, so the free market is working the way it should. If and when there is a pilot shortage, salaries WILL go up. You sir, seem determined to put the cart before the horse, but a free market doesn't work that way. There are currently quite a few flying jobs that pay between 200K and 300K per year, but not too many that are week on week off living anywhere you want flying a turbo prop or light jet around North America. You can argue all you want that flying is flying and an airplane is an airplane, but the market will decide that too. That's just the way it is.

If there were more pilots willing to move to Asia to find work, competition would increase, and my salary would go down. Currently, there aren't enough pilots willing to make that move, so my salary keeps going up. That's not the situation in the US yet. Hopefully, it will be in the near future.

Very true, but they CAN get plenty of qualified pilots at those rates, so the free market is working the way it should. If and when there is a pilot shortage, salaries WILL go up. You sir, seem determined to put the cart before the horse, but a free market doesn't work that way. There are currently quite a few flying jobs that pay between 200K and 300K per year, but not too many that are week on week off living anywhere you want flying a turbo prop or light jet around North America. You can argue all you want that flying is flying and an airplane is an airplane, but the market will decide that too. That's just the way it is.

If there were more pilots willing to move to Asia to find work, competition would increase, and my salary would go down. Currently, there aren't enough pilots willing to make that move, so my salary keeps going up. That's not the situation in the US yet. Hopefully, it will be in the near future.

I agree. There are plenty of pilots willing to work for peanuts. My attempt is to help others see their self worth. When enough pilots won't accept $70k jobs, salaries will go up. We are getting there in the 121 world, but I am concerned for the 135 world. Where are new pilots going to get their 1500TT to get to the airlines? What are they willing to do to, at what price to get the 1500? That's right. Work for peanuts.

We are skilled laborers folks. Know what your skills are worth.

I prefer the new fangled horseless carriages, but they cost money.

Last edited:

So true

I agree. There are plenty of pilots willing to work for peanuts. My attempt is to help others see their self worth. When enough pilots won't accept $70k jobs, salaries will go up. We are getting there in the 121 world, but I am concerned for the 135 world. Where are new pilots going to get their 1500TT to get to the airlines? What are they willing to do to, at what price to get the 1500? That's right. Work for peanuts.

Just curious. How many hours did you have when you landed your first job (instructor not included)? How much did you work for?

1000s were attracted to aviation because of the pay, lifestyle, and benefits of the 121 world during the regulated years. Very few were able to get there except for primarily military pilots and some lucky general aviation folks. What destroyed 121 compensation was the regional industry (inexpensive way to gain experience), bankruptcies, deregulation resulting in low cost upstarts (an abundance of experienced pilots from the previous category, Braniff, Old Continental, Eastern to fill the new seats.), and several economic downturns where furloughed pilots went to the aforementioned jobs. It will be a long time before the tide turns. I wouldn't expend too much energy on this. There will always be someone willing to do your job for less as long as it is relatively easy to become minimally qualified.

Knowing there will be massive movement in the airlines, most kids just coming into aviation will work for peanuts in an effort to get as many hours as quickly as possible to get on the gravy train. Just how it is.

Latest resources

Back