Whats up with civi pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
avbug said:
...else you might not resort to threats. Here, or elsewhere. Don't forget. There's always someone faster, better, bigger, tougher.
Hmm...I can see how my words could be taken as a threat, even though that was not the intent. Rather: "Don't go there."

Family is almost sacred territory for most people. Even if I were to give Diesel a huge benefit of the doubt and assume that he was "joking," it's still a joke in bad taste. Horizontal mambo with a serviceman's wife/daughter while he's putting his life on the line overseas? Nothing but bad taste, my friend. Are you going to call Diesel on the carpet, too? Hmm...

avbug said:
Eat your own pizza. Watch your own movie. Don't worry about what the other guy is doing, particularly in the event you haven't walked in his shoes.

Agreed.

semperfido said:
what does twoop mean?

Standard intra-formation "AFFIRM" response to a directive/informative call from lead made by the number two aircraft. It should sound sharp on the radio, hence the "TWOOP!"

Gorilla said:
Don't be sorry. Civilian flying is a joke compared to military flying. That is why there will always be an inseparable gulf between pure civilian background pilots and military background pilots. On the other hand, civilians don't have to write ground training programs, wear MOP gear, get anthrax shots, and watch their friends become smoking holes. You go civilian for either QOL, pay, or both, not because the flying is better. And in today's environment, while the QOL will very probably be better, the pay has certainly eroded, and the flying is boring. You pick a path, and take what comes, hopefully after MUCH thought and investigation.

I do agree with the general concensus - a certain amount of bi*ching is OK, but past an undefined point, gets really old.

Don't worry, I'm not really sorry.

Most of the guys shouting the loudest in the (retarded) mil vs. civ debate are guys who have done one or the other exclusively and know absolutely nothing about the other side. Why guys like this get butt hurt when someone who knows nothing about their kind of flying calls them out is beyond me, but that's what always happens, and then you have the f@ck you contest. I suspect it's because they are secretly terrified that somebody might know more about the flying game than they do, but who knows.

Having flown fighters, mil helos, airliners, some ag, and the alaska bush, I feel somewhat qualified to comment on which is more fun, more demanding, more boring, more whatever, and it's more than a little amusing when some guy with 2000 hours in Navajos and King Airs gets on here and tells someone what it takes to fly a fighter. The opposite is also pretty funny.

I give Fury a lot of crap on here because he is both a young guy and a FAIP, but I agree 100% (for once) with what he said here:

Originally Posted by Fury220
Notice, I don't comment much about what you guys do. Why? Well, my knowledge base is small when it comes to your job. I respect the guys on the other side of the fence who do the same.

I think a lot of the friction here on FI.com arises when pilots (both civ AND mil) cross that line and talk out of their stinky holes on topics they know very little about.

Well said. You insecure homos may now continue bitch slapping each other.

YGBSM said:
I give Fury a lot of crap on here because he is both a young guy and a FAIP, but I agree 100% (for once) with what he said here:

Originally Posted by Fury220
Notice, I don't comment much about what you guys do. Why? Well, my knowledge base is small when it comes to your job. I respect the guys on the other side of the fence who do the same.

I think a lot of the friction here on FI.com arises when pilots (both civ AND mil) cross that line and talk out of their stinky holes on topics they know very little about.

Well said. You insecure homos may now continue bitch slapping each other.

I almost shed a tear...but I didn't, so don't worry.

say again said:
What a f-ed up thread!!!!!! You guys are great, keeps me amused. Happy Holidays!!!!

Please.....just go away. Another stupid contributor to this thread, we don't need right now.

Spooky 1 said:
......... Where are you coming from anyway? ......What is it that you bring to the table that makes you a qualifed pilot to comment on these issues? .......

I'll answer that Spooky 1. Arguably one of the worst cases of insecurity to be displayed on this forum. :laugh:

Ugh now this thread is really picking up. :)

Speaking of touching kids is Hillary Duff 18 yet?

So if i had made fun of the original poster (can't even remember his name) ending up with a Tranny that would be okay. Hmmmmmmm

Fights on. :)

(Sitting back enjoying the banter)

Fury220 said:
Standard intra-formation "AFFIRM" response to a directive/informative call from lead made by the number two aircraft. It should sound sharp on the radio, hence the "TWOOP!"

actually...sounds like "TOOP". A sharp "TWO" would also suffice. Sorry..the spelling confused me as well :)

What was this thread about again???

Last edited:
Theres alot to be said for both.
I got out after 14yrs AD and went to a regional that is on the brink of past history, but when I went there 5 years ago it was the place to be.
I took a 60% cut in pay but gained a 60% increase in happiness.
In order to have food with my meals, I also did the Guard thing and made twice as much there, in half the time.
Now 5 years later my "Big airline job" is nearly history and Ill be starting from scratch again.

I dont know how much active time you have, but if I may suggest, I would say get out and try it. The airline life style is great and I had a blast for the last 5 years. Its night and day compared to the military.
I met alot of good people there, and some not so good ones, just like the military.

Get out, get hired, and then join the guard/reserves.

The military unlike the airlines are stable well paying employment. So if you find its not for you, I guarantee you you can go back in and pick up right where you left off.

In fact you could do that for 5+ years while the seniority keeps clicking along, work on a retirement from the AD, guard or reserves that will equal an FO's salary for the rest of your life, and then come back to the airline when you can make a decent wage.

People, and pilots complain about stuff all the time but as long as youre enjoying it then who cares.

This thread just seems like it'll never end... could it break the "dorky pilot" series record? Stay tuned.

Latest resources

Back