Whats up with civi pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gorilla said:
Neal, I'm with AA and have been since 1991. I left Egin in 1989. I desperately wanted a follow-up Eagle assignment, but my choices were Air Training Command, an exchange tour in Tunisia with an F-5 (!!), or Holloman in the now-defunct AT-38B fighter lead-in program. I chose HMN, and it was a good tour, but talk about a sad and disappointed bunch of HMN IP's when Desert Storm kicked off... I still get a hollow feeling in my gut over not being with my unit in the thick of the fight. I can only imagine how much worse Paco felt, having run the 58th for a few years, only to PCS to Keflavik before the air war started.

What made Paco a great CO (and Cowboy, the previous 58th CO was also outstanding), was the fact that his total emphasis was on getting the squadron honed like a razor. His extensive AF buddy list and tireless effort allowed us to participate in more than our fair share of major training events; he also let his weapons boys run the show, and they were hugely talented. Most of all, he was a superior fighter pilot to begin with, and our respect knew no bounds. I wonder what he's up to these days. I hope he's found something worthwhile.

Thanks for providing some more insight into the book and its personalities. Sorry to hear about your unfortunate timing. Definitely sucks. I know a few other guys that were also in your situation - one was even a FAC during Desert Storm watching his UPT buddies mix it up in their pointy nosed jets above him. If you want to read some books about a culture not unlike that of the fighter pilot world, check out Dick Couch's 3 books on Navy SEAL BUDS training, advanced training, and operational deployment in Iraq/Afghanistan. I thoroughly enjoyed those recently as well. His books are to the Navy SEAL world what Wings of Fury is to the fighter pilot world.

Can you tell that I have to live vicariously through other sources (since I never got my shot)? :D

-Neal

And JungleJett, I very much expect a ride the next time I have a Cincy layover!

Neal,

It would not be a very comfortable flight as it only has one seat!! There is always to the two seat Yak-52 which is a ton of fun too!!

Tim

By the way, lets give some glory to the guys getting dirty in the Hog! There is an outstanding book by a non-Hog guy called "Warthog". It follows two units that deployed during Gulf War One. A great read about the airplane and those who fly and maintain it. I personally dont read much about current fighters and tend to stay in the realm of piston engine fighters. I am getting interested in the first years of the jet age..F-86. Anyone have any suggestions about the Korean War? On that note, I have a PDF copy of Boots Blesse's paper titled "No Guts, No Glory" if any of you fighter guys or wannabes are interested. It is cool look at the beginnings of fighter combat in the jet age.

JungleJett said:
Neal,

It would not be a very comfortable flight as it only has one seat!! There is always to the two seat Yak-52 which is a ton of fun too!!

Ah...well then nevermind. I don't want a ride THAT badly! Although I do hear the 2-seat CJ6/Yak is a lot of fun and very affordable.

JungleJett said:
By the way, lets give some glory to the guys getting dirty in the Hog! There is an outstanding book by a non-Hog guy called "Warthog". It follows two units that deployed during Gulf War One. A great read about the airplane and those who fly and maintain it.

I've read that one too (and pretty much every other one like it sadly). He also wrote the same type of book about the F-15E. Gread reads as well. I also liked Bogeys and Bandits which is a book about the F-18 RAG down at Cecil in FL.

-Neal

Sabre Jet Ace

JungleJett said:
I am getting interested in the first years of the jet age..F-86. Anyone have any suggestions about the Korean War? On that note, I have a PDF copy of Boots Blesse's paper titled "No Guts, No Glory" if any of you fighter guys or wannabes are interested. It is cool look at the beginnings of fighter combat in the jet age.
When I was in 5th grade, I read Sabre Jet Ace. It was the story of Joseph McConnell(sp?) who was the leading ace of the Korean War. I think it was one of the first things that influenced me to want to be a fighter pilot some day. It was a good read as a kid, I'm not sure what I would think of it today, but it should still be a pretty good read. I've always thought the Sabre was a sexy little jet. Cheers...ExAF

The Sabre is a beautiful jet, and flies like it too. In the "Fury" book, the constant peg guys absolutely raved about the MiG-17. Power and fancy avionics are wonderful, but there's a lot to be said having light weight, and lots of wing area in a turning fight.

Kind of like a Yak-50, or an Extra, or some other aerobatic plane. These aircraft can turn on a dime. Mount a pair of AIM-9M's on a Yak, Pitts, or a Sabre, and if you don't kill it BVR, you're gonna die at the merge.

We have a old Sabre guy in our Yak ranks and him and I have spoke about the airplane. He absolutely loved the old bird. He is currently looking for a Yak-50 to join the fun.

We also have a guy who has a Yak-52 and his wife (who was a Naval Aviator) flew the Sabre as well!!! I cannot remember the circumstances around it but it was in the Navy. She is pretty young too..not over 45. I am sure she stands out among female pilots having flown the F-86.

The airplane is one of my favorites. Some day I will strap one on. I have flown the MiG-15UTI which was a ton of fun. We did a little form with an F-86. Pretty cool to see an F-86 on the wing of our MiG.

Latest resources

Back