• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Whats up with civi pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I expect to have to work at a job, not get paid to fly a few hours. I can't see a reason to get out when I would take a 30K pay cut and have to work more than I do now with a bunch of complainers and bitch artists.

Sounds to me like the whining has already begun.

Only, it's YOU.

Deal with it.

agpilot34 said:
My question is this... If all you guys that bitch piss and moan about your aviation career are so dang fed up with it, why dont you quit! Like someone said, there's always Wal Mart! It would give the ears of rest of us who ARE satisified with our aviation career a break!

The guys who bitch and moan are usually the guys willing to go on strike, raise the bar for everyone else. The guys who are "satisfied" with what they have sometimes suffer from SJS and lower the bar.

Hmm, a strike that raises the bar for the rest of us poor lazy "satisfied" pilots... now THERE'S a concept! I get paid well enough for the flying I do, and the benefits are good as well, plus I actually get to FLY, instead of trolling the friendly skies pushing buttons and micro managing a computer system. Sorry, but strikes dont mean squat in my end of the sky. Besides all that, if I'm not mistaken, the crappy pay has been the norm for several years now in the regionals and such. I'm sure that the majority of the whiners and moaners KNEW that when they started, and went into it with open eyes. Besides, is that just all part of the "paying of dues" that some of you are so fond of talking about? I'm not trying to start some big arguement here, but face it... you knew the situation in the aviation world when you entered it. It's been up and down for many years, and it will continue to be up and down for many more years. That's the nature of the business.

Last edited:
WOW! This thread shocks me. Who do you people work for that the training sucks. Your qualifications are going to land you much of a job. A regional job is less pay in the left seat of an RJ than a Lt and you put up with a bunch of bullshit. The us -vs them..whoaaaa..don't go there. Life as a regional pilot is much different. There is bitching everywhere in aviation. Most of us are type A and are somewhat of perfectionists....so we don't settle for second best. The people who control your quality of life at the regional level is sometimes less than desirable.

I have a new job with a good company. Good to their people and everyone (for the most part) has nothing but a GREAT attitude.

It is all what YOU make of it.

hooker23 said:
I've been on this board for a few weeks now exploring jobs on the civilian side. I still haven't made a decision on whether to get out or not. Are most civilian pilots a bunch of whining pussies? Or is it just the pilots on the various forums? I expect to have to work at a job, not get paid to fly a few hours. I can't see a reason to get out when I would take a 30K pay cut and have to work more than I do now with a bunch of complainers and bitch artists. I can do that in the military for a lot more pay. Anyone who has defected please let me know your experiences. Do forums attract all the disgruntled folks?

As a guy who just got out, I would recommend that you stay in. Not because I regret my decision, but it just sounds like you wouldn't fit in well on the civilian side of the house. If you expect to have to work at a job, stay in the army. Civilian flying is all about flying, that's what they get paid to do. They don't get paid to fly AND push papers, write evaluations, run the safety shop, train new guys, be the commander's exec, keep with ground training items, etc. If that's what you expect to do, then, again, stay in the army. Besides, with a lack of fixed wing experience, the majors won't touch you. Life in the army is probably preferable to life at an RJ.

Wow, Hooker.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't post this just as flame bait.

You should answer your own question based on what you feel will be right for you, not based on the fact you read a lot of anonymous complaining posts. Your basic question is: Do I want to fly a lot, or do I want to serve my country?

I seperated 10 years ago, and have loved almost every minute of my civilian flying career. I have soloed students in Piper Cubs, Flown single-pilot IFR freight dog to include 1800 RVR approaches where I was above the fog at 500' agl. I have crossed the Atlantic in beat-up old Lears, shooting approaches to minimums in Keflavik and high winds in the Azores. 19 countries in my logbook and 54 different types of aircraft. I loved it all and the journey isn't over yet.

Many of my peers think this is a horrible industry and would never have started out in it had they known what it was like. They claim the romance and glamour our predeccesors enjoyed is all but history. Want to know something? They're right. Their jobs do suck. They get no respect from the flying public or their superiors. The magic of flight and the wonder of the continual fulfillment of a childhood dream is forever lost for them. Why is that? Simply attitude. 99% of life is how you react to your environment.

Do you really think you'll avoid these folks by staying in the military? Are you one of these people?

Last edited:
Deuce130 said:
Civilian flying is all about flying, that's what they get paid to do.
I know what you mean, but this comment reminded me of something. In many cases, civilian flying is all about "not flying". When military pilots talk, they all talk about how they try to figure out a way to get on the flying schedule more than they already do. When I talk to my airline buddies, they tell me all the ways they try to avoid having to fly. For them, "not flying" is their goal.

Huggyu2 said:
I know what you mean, but this comment reminded me of something. In many cases, civilian flying is all about "not flying". When military pilots talk, they all talk about how they try to figure out a way to get on the flying schedule more than they already do. When I talk to my airline buddies, they tell me all the ways they try to avoid having to fly. For them, "not flying" is their goal.

True. And I'll welcome myself to that club. I love to fly, but I love not working more. The only thing better than a day flying is a day off! But then, I felt that way (and still do) during my military job. A day flying beats a day at the desk, and a day at the beach or on the "hog" beats a day flying. Everytime.

Deuce130 said:
a day at the beach or on the "hog" beats a day flying. Everytime.

Maybe sometimes, but not every time. No way. You've never reached the end of a couple weeks of leave only to think "dang, I wish I were flying today..." ??? I sure have.

As far as riding the "hog," what you do in your own time is none of my business. :)

Latest resources

Back