• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What's up at Gemini?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow, that was pretty quick. I wonder how many guys will show up to work in the next couple of months only to be shut out of hotels, and not have airfare back home.
I guess the writing was on the wall when I was there, I just didn't want to admit it. My sympathies for all the crews, and hopefully Stockbridge, or someone with a vision steps up and picks up the company and makes something out of it again.

Here's my heartburn. On midnight of Aug 11th, IF some knight in shining armor comes along, then the GAC pilots would no doubt DEMAND DOH or some or other ridiculous integration formula. Most people would say the GAC pilots ought to simply count their lucky stars at being stapled to ANY seniority list... seeing how they were just hours from filing for UNEMPLOYMENT benefits.
Here's MY heartburn.... Why in the hell do you care what the GAC pilots would "demand" if'n they DID get bought? Who cares what "most people" think? If you don't have a dog in this fight, I fail to understand why you're so concerned with what the GAC pilots will try to salvage in the unlikely event that a merger comes along to save their bacon.

Here's MY heartburn.... Why in the hell do you care what the GAC pilots would "demand" if'n they DID get bought?

Wow IPF... have a beer and relax. You're wrapped pretty tight.

Why am I "interested"? It could potentially negatively effect my/many of my friends' careers depending on who that knight in shining armor is and whether it's a staple or integration.

ex. Some Astar/ABX guys thought UPS had an obligation to hire them when DHL switched subcontractors.

BBB

ex. Some Astar/ABX guys thought UPS had an obligation to hire them when DHL switched subcontractors.

BBB

I don't recall ONE AStar/ABXA pilot demanding to be hired by UPS. What was HOPED for was a "preferential interview" process. I understand that Capt. Miller said the leadership of the IPA would request this of UPS management, but I have not heard if this actually happened.

If Any of our guys/gals think they deserve to be hired directly by UPS, they are dead wrong. I do think that a "preferential interview" shouldn't cause any heartburn for UPS pilots though. Unfortunately, It looks like I'm sadly idealistic.

FAJ

I do think that a "preferential interview" shouldn't cause any heartburn for UPS pilots though. Unfortunately, It looks like I'm sadly idealistic.

FAJ

I'm very sympathetic to the plight of current ABX/Astar pilots. Recently, some have brought forth interesting points of view I had not previously considered. As an example:

Some have questioned why an Astar pilot should receive a "preferential interview" over say an ex-military guy w/ combat time who's slugging it out at Home Depot till the industry turns around?

Both candidates are deserving of consideration. Is one MORE deserving of a "preferential interview"? I'm not so sure any longer???? :confused:

BBB

No disrespect intended to the Gemini guys, but this just illustrates a point. GAC is in Ch 11 for the second time in two years. On Aug 12th, barring some miracle, all GAC pilots are on the street. We agree so far (though again I express my sympathy for the GAC pilots' position.)

Here's my heartburn. On midnight of Aug 11th, IF some knight in shining armor comes along, then the GAC pilots would no doubt DEMAND DOH or some or other ridiculous integration formula. Most people would say the GAC pilots ought to simply count their lucky stars at being stapled to ANY seniority list... seeing how they were just hours from filing for UNEMPLOYMENT benefits.

I don't see how this hypothetical situation is materially different from the TWA/AA situation? But, boy do those ex-TWA guys
feel like the got the "shaft"! I don't get "it"?

BBB

This is the problem with our system today though.. in reality, why should a 12 year MD11 CA come in junior to a new hire FO of what ever company is the buying entity? We as pilots need to get away from this "I'm better than you because my company is managed better"... I think it would go a long way in making this profession better if we all accepted that what's on someone resume should be worth more than starting over at the bottom!

With that said, I recall when Skybus was in BK and they put up the company, the certificate and the 65 orders (sweet deal too) for auction.. they didn't get enough to satisfy the BK judge and they liquidated.. the only think GAC has going for it is a strong MD11 business.... if they can sell that part of it and save some jobs it will be a good thing for those lucky, but in the end good people are going to lose jobs and in this job market, THAT SUCKS!

My prayers are with you guys Fog..

There will be no merger, so don't worry about that. Worry about Matlin Patterson Global Opportunies Partners II, the vulture fund that raped and pillaged ATA, saddled it with the debt from purchasing WLDA, and torched it.

I believe they are in the process of closing on Arrow Air, and a company like Gemini fits right into their M.O. They are eager to resurrect their South American interests, since their Variglog deal turned to sh!t and they had to run around S.A. repo'ing airplanes this winter.

Good luck, you're going to need it.

I'm very sympathetic to the plight of current ABX/Astar pilots. Recently, some have brought forth interesting points of view I had not previously considered. As an example:

Some have questioned why an Astar pilot should receive a "preferential interview" over say an ex-military guy w/ combat time who's slugging it out at Home Depot till the industry turns around?

Both candidates are deserving of consideration. Is one MORE deserving of a "preferential interview"? I'm not so sure any longer???? :confused:

BBB

Military guys get nearly all the flying jobs at FedEx. Are you also concerned with the civilian pilots with several thousand of jet and turpoprop hours not even getting a reply from FedEx?

BBB: What makes this ex-military guy so special? The fact that he was flying over hostile terratory in a plane equipped with countermeasures? If that's the case, Gemini pilots should be on the top of the to-be-hired-list of every flight department. If you haven't read the news over the last year, Gemini was the first US air carrier to operate into Baghram, Afghanistan and Baghdad, Iraq. CIVILIANS flying into a known war zone with a huge aircraft without any defense against anything thrown or shot at it. After they proved it could be done somewhat safely other carriers started to do the same.

Wow IPF... have a beer and relax. You're wrapped pretty tight.
I'M wrapped tight? You are getting heartburn about the potential "demands" of a pilot group that you have no involvement with, and I'm the one who needs to relax?

Get over yourself.

Latest resources

Back