• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What's up at Gemini?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Make sure you get all the money that's coming to you. The scumbag freight outfit execs will steal your last paycheck and expense money if you let them. If you don't get it quickly, call the State Dept of Labor to make a claim and to see if you can file criminal charges for fraud.

Sorry to hear this guys and gals. It's interesting that they terminated people. I guess never plan on calling them back. It might be kind, in that you'll not be hanging around for a phone call to come back?

Always thought the market for the three holers was better than this. Is this from planes that were leased being returned or ACMI contracts not being renewed?

I know your not wanting to hear this, but Atlas will be hiring again later this year. I believe the pool is full for now. Your worldwide experience is valuable.

Good luck.

FURLOUGH NOTICE??

Today the company began to systematically notify pilots and flight engineers of their termination or furlough.
Gemini Management notified your MEC earlier today that there would be a reduction in force (RIF). We did not get particulars of how many crewmembers the RIF would impact or when it would happen.
We still don’t know the actual number of crewmembers who have been terminated or furloughed. But, we are aware that approximately 55 pilots and 28 flight engineers have been notified of furlough or termination.
I’ve mentioned termination vs. furlough several times in this communication. The company asked ALPA today if they could terminate, instead of furlough, crewmembers that are still in apprentice status. The answer provided to the company was “yes” because apprentice crewmembers are not protected under section 19 of the agreement and can be terminated without cause.
We’re asking for answers from the company as to the number of crewmembers who have been terminated, and how many are furloughed. How long the RIF is expected to last. And, what benefits they are entitled to (if any)?
I’ll be asking for answers to these and other questions and will pass that information to the council as I receive it.
Additionally, I'm seeking all available assistance for furloughed and terminated crewmembers from ALPA. Look for further information via email from your MEC.

It was nice chatting with you today Fog... I am so sorry about this, I know first hand how those guys feel. I can't say its' going to be any better for any of us when UAL, USAir, et al all announce their bad news..

I think we all need to pray for something to happen to turn around this mess!

Termination Letter

Just read the garbage email that the VP sent out to GAC crew. Classy. (note sarcasm)

Sorry to hear the bad news. Best of luck to all crewmembers and their families.

WARN act not optional

ATA didn't acknowledge the WARN act at all on April 3d when they pulled the plug. Our MEC and ALPA did initiate litigation over that but since the lawyers are involved who knows how long it will drag out. I don't think it is even slated to come before the judge until next February. There is precedent, though. I don't remember the airline's name but a similar thing happened six or seven years ago to someone else and the lawsuit was successful. The result, I believe, was back pay for the percentage of the required 60 days stipulated by the WARN act which the company failed to give notice.

Last edited:
ATA didn't acknowledge the WARN act at all on April 3d when they pulled the plug. Our MEC and ALPA did initiate litigation over that but since the lawyers are involved who knows how long it will drag out. I don't think it is even slated to come before the judge until next February. There is precedent, though. I don't remember the airline's name but a similar thing happened six or seven years ago to someone else and the lawsuit was successful. The result, I believe, was back pay for the percentage of the required 60 days stipulated by the WARN act which the company failed to give notice.

WARN Act can be waived if during the 60 days prior to shut down the company was seeking additional financing or capital in order to prevent the shutdown. At least, that's the way it was explained to the unfortunates at a certian carrier recently.

It was fun while it lasted...Hey, anyone need a MD11 pilot with a type rating and 25 hours in type?

Last edited:
Nevertheless, we will continue operating our business as usual.

Seems to me that business isn't so "usual" for approximately 55 pilots, 28 FEs, and who knows how many other people directly affected by this. As with so many others in recent weeks and months, my heart really goes out to you all, and hope that you're back on your feet soon.

Some critics have claimed that Chapter 11 bankruptcy is excessively lenient in giving a needless "escape hatch" to the incompetent management of a failing company, damaging the efficiency of the economy as a whole and allowing poor managers to continue managing. It is unusual for the management of a company in Chapter 11 to be fired, as it is usually assumed that the present management team knows far more about the company and its customers than would a new set of management. These critics note that in Europe, bankruptcy law is far less lenient for failing companies.
Another efficiency criticism is that a company undergoing Chapter 11 bankruptcy is effectively operating under the "protection" of the court until it emerges, in some cases giving the bankrupt company a great advantage against its competitors, distorting the market and harming more competitive businesses. Where a key market participant (or more than one) goes into Chapter 11, it can also result in significant over-capacity in the industry. The most-cited recent example is the airline industry in the United States; in 2006 over half the industry's seating capacity was on airlines that were in Chapter 11.[1] These airlines were able to stop making debt payments, freeing up cash to expand routes or weather a price war against competitors — all with the bankruptcy court's approval. This is especially important in the airline industry as fixed capital costs for the airplanes (and the debt on those costs) make up such a large part of the airlines' expenditures.
Others criticize the process on the basis that, by forestalling the creditors' rights to enforce their security in the event of non-payment, it reduces the economic value of collateral in the United States, and thereby increases the cost of secured lending. However, studies on the subject seem to reach different conclusions on the extent of this, or indeed whether it is in fact the case at all in practice.[2]

Source: Wikipedia

tj

[edit]

Latest resources

Back