UAL Returning Furloughees

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
acroflyr said:
What is the provision for if you are under contract to your current employer? Is that an "Accept recall and go on LOA" and you start to accrue longevity again, or are you still frozen in time like you were while furloughed? Also, can a civilian "Accept recall and go on LOA" similar to the Military folks? Thanks!

Acro

Acro, you need to coordinate an LOA with your flight office ASAP if you are under contract with your current employer.
I don't know how they list furloughees on LOA; probably as bypasses for now. When they come back through again is probably when you'd go on LOA status.
As for time accrual during an LOA, you keep your seniority number, but you do not accrue longevity. UAL has to allow mil leave to accrue longevity due to USERRA.

I don't know the exact details of LOAs, so I would suggest that you break out C2003, call your flight office, or call your council rep for any details.

Andy said:
Yeah, that's me. I was a total prick to that retired guy on Boyle's last night, but I don't think that guys in his position think about those of us who are standing outside, looking through the window. Hopefully my response today was more eloquent; it was definitely less alcohol impaired. I hope that I was able to properly express the concerns of furloughees.

I thought it was SPOT on~!

Guppy Puppy...whassuup

GuppyPuppy said:
3/20/00 hire.

Expecting a recall soon. I'm 98% sure I'll bypass since I'm upgrading at JB very soon. Last flight at UA was 1/4/00, furloughed 1/15/00. Can you believe those jackarses gave me a mandatory vacation for my last 10 days on the property just so they wouldn't have to pay it out?

Andy said:
The latest posted on UAL ALPA is that the 8 ball is #7762, hired 10 Jan 00.

Andy,
For what it's worth, my number is a few better than #7762, but I haven't been called yet. I ran down and checked the answering machine, just in case. Do they call you in person?
Also, where on the ALPA web do you find this info? I surfed around a bit, but couldn't find it. I went to "Members Only", then to "UAL MEC". I did notice that SkyNet Lite was updated on 13 Jan with the #7762 on it. However, Skynet Lite seems to normally be well behind the info I get on flightinfo.com.
How was the pay/QOL when you were in UAL Management?
Seeing as I've got more info from you than just about anyone else, what are the chances (your opinion) that I'll get to go to SFO when recalled?

Last edited:
L'il J.Seinfeld said:
Who do you think have been getting hired at FedEx, SWA, UPS and others? DO you really think anyone would leave those companies to go back to United?

Well, some UAL furloughees I'm sure, but a drop in the bucket compared to the number of folks on the street. I mean, how many pilots have these golden carriers hired in the last 4.5 years? Less than 2000(?). IIRC there were about 8000 furloughees hitting the street in 2001-2002 (+ those since) who were all qualified, so I think probably more pilots than you think will consider a recall. Though I'm quite sure you're right that those who've gone to these places won't return to their former employers.

Huggyu2 said:
Andy,
For what it's worth, my number is a few better than #7762, but I haven't been called yet. I ran down and checked the answering machine, just in case. Do they call you in person?
Also, where on the ALPA web do you find this info? I surfed around a bit, but couldn't find it. I went to "Members Only", then to "UAL MEC". I did notice that SkyNet Lite was updated on 13 Jan with the #7762 on it. However, Skynet Lite seems to normally be well behind the info I get on flightinfo.com.
How was the pay/QOL when you were in UAL Management?
Seeing as I've got more info from you than just about anyone else, what are the chances (your opinion) that I'll get to go to SFO when recalled?

That's weird that you didn't get a call. I originally got the 7762 info from a post by Dave O. on the UAL ALPA board under the 'Furlough Interest' section under the thread titled, '#7762,' but it's also listed on Skynetlite. I would suggest that you call Bob Neal. His phone number is listed in 'Furlough Interest' under the thread, 'Bob Neal Tel#.' Perhaps your contact info needs to be updated? According to another thread in 'Furlough Interest,' HW, #7741, got a call on 12 Jan for the 3 April class.
SFO: I assume that you plan on coming back in the 320. The 737 is no longer based out of SFO. Based on the unfilled vacancies from the previous bids, you've got a pretty good shot of being able to return to SFO. I guess that laterals are fairly easy to get also. Bob Neal is the guru on that stuff; nice guy, give him a call w/all of your questions.

OK, your UAL management question. Pay: I have a TS/SCI clearance, so I could have gotten a very good contractor job paying me a tad more than 6 figures in the DC area, but I chose to return to UAL for less than half that amount. Pay is below average, especially for the DC area.
I worked in IADOO as a zone controller. Not a fun job. The hours were 2PM - 1030PM (or later, if wx was bad). The first two hours of overtime were 'I love United' hours.
It was hard work, tough hours. But I quit because the next level of management (and a lot of managers at my level) sucked. Not incompetent, just the biggest a-holes I've come across. Treated people like dirt. It was amazing to me that the turnover rate was not higher. Most of IAD's management needs to be fired. Not all, because there are some really good ones, but enough that a good housecleaning is in order.

Swaayze said:
IIRC there were about 8000 furloughees hitting the street in 2001-2002 (+ those since) who were all qualified, so I think probably more pilots than you think will consider a recall.

It's worse than that.
UAL furloughed 2172
AMR furloughed 2855
USAirways furloughed ~2000
Delta furloughed a bit more than 1000
Northwest furloughed around 700

That's almost 9000 from just 5 carriers. If you include Independence Air's 1500 pilots, you're well north of 10,000.
This has been a very bad downturn and I wouldn't be surprised to see Delta and Northwest continue to furlough more pilots.

727scammer said:
GP,

I was also in the 3/20 class; however, I am looking at the numbers everyday to see when I can go back.
727Scammer

The 3/20/00 class is seniority numbers 7964-7985. Expect a phone call around March for a June class. That's my best WAG based on what I've seen. IF UAL accelerates recalls (which is a realistic possibility), you'll get a call sooner for an earlier class.
I expect UAL to go through the entire seniority recall list (first pass) in 2006. I don't expect UAL to go through the list in reverse order to give bypasses a last chance until sometime in 2007. It is very possible for UAL to be back in the hiring mode late 2007.

Latest resources

Back