• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL Returning Furloughees

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Goggles, my apologies to you then. I read way too many posts written by FLYI employees who were divvying up the assets of United and USAirways, making guesses on which pieces were going to end up on FLYI's plate. Not all of the schadenfreude was exhibited by FLYI employees, but the 'United sucks, Ted sucks more' pep rally didn't sit very well with me.
I see the same $hit now by some in regard to Delta and Northwest. Personally, I hope that Delta & Northwest do not lose a single aircraft, route, or block hour during their long & difficult journey through chapter 11.

No problem, Andy. Hope you get recalled soon.

I've always had a soft spot for the "legacies." I would like this profession to get back to "normal." But I doubt that will ever happen now.

GogglesPisano said:
No problem, Andy. Hope you get recalled soon.

I've always had a soft spot for the "legacies." I would like this profession to get back to "normal." But I doubt that will ever happen now.

Goggles, thanks, I'll be back sometime in 2006.

As far as legacies go, I've flown for another company (post-AF) before being hired by United. Back in 2000, United was a great change from my previous (non-major) employer. Now, when I return to United, it'll be worse on the narrowbody side than it was for me at the non-major carrier. The contract has been raped and QOL now sucks in the narrowbody fleet.

As for the future of the profession, I think that the downward spiral will continue due to the large amount of money that Wall Street is willing to throw at startup carriers. Boeing and Airbus are competing for business and just want to sell their planes. Legacies have a hard time competing with a brand new carrier who have junior employees on a lower payscale and less overhead expenses. So instead of the legacies pulling up wages, they will drop in order to compete with startups who are paying low wages.
The downward wage spiral is not going to stop until there is a shortage of pilots. And with the big push to change retirement age, there won't be a shortage of pilots for a very, very long time.

The downward spiral will end when the companies start making money. It has nothing to do with pilot supply. SWA is not taking wage cuts. UPS/FDX/ABX certainly are not either. The pax carriers have too much capacity. Virgin America is not going to help any either.

Junior pilot to receive recall offer is now #7668 DOH 11/29/99

Is it their plan to have at least one class each month?

Last edited:
Clownhater, I think you will be getting a call in a couple of weeks now. Haven't talked to Fabian in a while though, but Im sure its looking real good

L'il J.Seinfeld said:
The downward spiral will end when the companies start making money.

Unfortunately not. The downward spiral will stop when the first pilot group gets to negotiate a new contract AND the company is making $$. Then and only then will they be able to make some improvements. Until then, the companies will laugh all the way to the bank as they rake in profits and snicker while their pilots labor under the ridiculous contracts they all signed with their backs to the wall.
Most contracts have moved the passenger industry back decades. The spiral continues.
:puke:

Uh, yeah... that would be CAL, Last quarter. Guess again.

Latest resources

Back