UAL Returning Furloughees

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FutureTEDpilot said:
I plan on having my Bolivian Babe stay with me in Denver. She needs to learn english a little better and I fiqure I can get her a job at Shot-Gun Willies to supplement my income.

While you're in the sim, I'll be entertaining her for you. :pimp:

EAP said:
Hey Acro, do you have any sort of idea when guys at your seniority will see recall? I know it is a crap shoot... just wondering.

I'm not sure. Looks like I'm sitting around 900 #'s away right now. I still have a long way to go, but things are starting to happen fast. If the bypass rate stays the same as it is now I may be called about a year from now. But if they increase class sizes, then it may be sooner. My guess is around the end of the year or just after.

Hvy said:
FutureTEDpilot said:
I plan on having my Bolivian Babe stay with me in Denver. She needs to learn english a little better and I fiqure I can get her a job at Shot-Gun Willies to supplement my income.

Sorry but she will be in the sim with me, omly way I can get a good PC from the LCA is bring a "Chica" to the sim session, besides she likes to grade me V1 cuts.....oiiii Poppeeee

Hvy said:
FutureTEDpilot said:

As long as you are willing to pay $$$$$$$

The latest posted on UAL ALPA is that the 8 ball is #7762, hired 10 Jan 00. The 8 ball on UAL's seniority list is #8915, so we're chewing through the seniority list very quickly. The bypass/mil leave rate is running greater than 60%.
I'm not sure how long it will take to go back through the way; probably a bit longer due to the high number of bypasses the first time around.

On UAL ALPA under the furlough interest section, there was a post labeled WARNING Rumor Warning. Here it is:

>>>Here is a goodie:

As some of you realize I fly the EMB-170 at Shuttle America. Anyway here is a comment from our pilot forum. Seems this guy flew ORD-ABQ with our CEO.

"Talked to Mr. CEO Glenn(United) the other day ord-abq. He told me United would be out of bankruptsy in the early spring if not sooner and get this...

They are in the process of calling back furloughs with the possibility of interviewing pilots for a hiring pool at the end of 2006. This would be in effect until all current furloughees are given the opportunity to return.

Straight from the horses mouth."

Just thought it is interesting that "Glenn" says we might be starting hiring pool in late 2006. I think we have only recalled a few hundred of the 2172 that are furloughed. I guess he is expecting a lot of resignations.

Like I said total rumor.....just passing it on <<<<

I'd be surprised to see UAL starting to hire before the end of 2006, but stranger things have happened.
Goggles, I'll try to update as necessary. Again, my apologies for the previous shot; I have gotten so used to every pilot from every other airline taking a shot at UAL that I now tend to shoot first and ask questions later.

Andy said:
Goggles, I'll try to update as necessary. Again, my apologies for the previous shot; I have gotten so used to every pilot from every other airline taking a shot at UAL that I now tend to shoot first and ask questions later.
Thanks Andy.

Don't y'all think that a large # of bypassers are planning to come back at their "last chance recall"? (I assume there exists such a system at UAL).

Swaayze said:
Don't y'all think that a large # of bypassers are planning to come back at their "last chance recall"? (I assume there exists such a system at UAL).

Yes, I do. Hence my cautiousness on starting a hiring pool by the end of this year.
But the recalls so far have been pilots who have been furloughed less than 3 years. I think that once they start hitting the 4+ year furloughees (approx #8070), a lot of them will never return. Many are at better gigs and have more seniority at their current company than they would at UAL. Many of those that took bypasses initially may also be at better gigs, just waiting until the last possible moment to decide which way to go with their career. For someone at JetBlue or Southwest, I wouldn't expect to see them return.

And just to clarify the recall process for everyone. UAL is going through the list in seniority order. A recallee has four choices: accept recall, accept recall and go on military leave, bypass, or resign. I don't think many (if any) have fallen into the fourth category. For those that bypass, they can elect to return at any later time as long as recalls are occurring.
Once the seniority list is depleted (#8915 is called), UAL goes back through the list in reverse seniority order and tells the bypasser that s/he either accepts recall at this time, or forfeits their seniority number. One exception to this is if they previously obtained an LOA (which usually runs ~2 years).

I am curious to see if, in two months or so, some bypassers decide to return to the 75/767. For those interested, (this is a bit dated) junior man in seat on the 75/76 is #7158 at ORD and #7147 at LAX and #6986 at DCA. 7147/7158 were hired 4/12/99, 6986 was hired 1/18/99, and all three were furloughed (not sure exact dates on furloughs/recalls for them). Other domiciles' junior man on 75/76: #6723 at JFK, #6681 at SFO, #6078 at DEN, and #5219 at SEA, none of whom were furloughed.
From UAL's flight ops website:
"The only initial assignment that may be given to a recalled pilot is one that has gone “unfilled” on a vacancy bid. The information below shows the unfilled vacancies from the vacancy bids that closed in Oct and Nov. Manpower planning decides which of the unfilled vacancies they will fill in each of the recall classes based on the most immediate needs of the operation. Not all of unfilled vacancies will necessarily be filled."

I don't know if any unfilled 75/76 slots have occurred yet, but rumor mill (Bob Neil; the go-to guy for UAL recall info) indicated to one furloughee that there should be a few 75/76 slots for returning furloughees this summer. FWIW.

Andy said:
Yes, I do. Hence my cautiousness on starting a hiring pool by the end of this year.
But the recalls so far have been pilots who have been furloughed less than 3 years. I think that once they start hitting the 4+ year furloughees (approx #8070), a lot of them will never return. Many are at better gigs and have more seniority at their current company than they would at UAL. Many of those that took bypasses initially may also be at better gigs, just waiting until the last possible moment to decide which way to go with their career. For someone at JetBlue or Southwest, I wouldn't expect to see them return.

And just to clarify the recall process for everyone. UAL is going through the list in seniority order. A recallee has four choices: accept recall, accept recall and go on military leave, bypass, or resign. I don't think many (if any) have fallen into the fourth category. For those that bypass, they can elect to return at any later time as long as recalls are occurring.
Once the seniority list is depleted (#8915 is called), UAL goes back through the list in reverse seniority order and tells the bypasser that s/he either accepts recall at this time, or forfeits their seniority number. One exception to this is if they previously obtained an LOA (which usually runs ~2 years).

I am curious to see if, in two months or so, some bypassers decide to return to the 75/767. For those interested, (this is a bit dated) junior man in seat on the 75/76 is #7158 at ORD and #7147 at LAX and #6986 at DCA. 7147/7158 were hired 4/12/99, 6986 was hired 1/18/99, and all three were furloughed (not sure exact dates on furloughs/recalls for them). Other domiciles' junior man on 75/76: #6723 at JFK, #6681 at SFO, #6078 at DEN, and #5219 at SEA, none of whom were furloughed.
From UAL's flight ops website:
"The only initial assignment that may be given to a recalled pilot is one that has gone “unfilled” on a vacancy bid. The information below shows the unfilled vacancies from the vacancy bids that closed in Oct and Nov. Manpower planning decides which of the unfilled vacancies they will fill in each of the recall classes based on the most immediate needs of the operation. Not all of unfilled vacancies will necessarily be filled."

I don't know if any unfilled 75/76 slots have occurred yet, but rumor mill (Bob Neil; the go-to guy for UAL recall info) indicated to one furloughee that there should be a few 75/76 slots for returning furloughees this summer. FWIW.

I have spoken to Bob Neil about the 767. Looks like I should be able to bid it this summer, thus the reason I took the 737 so I didn't have a freeze. Sure wish the 747-400/777 would go junior like they did in 2000.

Latest resources

Back