• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Two Pilot Marriages

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I had no idea that this thread would evolve the way it did. I thought that I was the only one that was in this situation. It is apparently alot more common that I first thought. It is very nice to know that people do, and can make it work.

Way2Broke said:
It is very nice to know that people do, and can make it work.

We know people do it, now whether it "works" or not is dependant on your definition, in your marriage, of "works"

I am skeptical

satpak77 said:
We know people do it, now whether it "works" or not is dependant on your definition, in your marriage, of "works"

I am skeptical

Agreed! Nobody loves your kids like you do. And your kids love no one better than Mom and Dad. Grandparents are no exception.

Kids want to be with Mom and Dad as much as possible.

Wants defined as needs makes it "justifed"

One possible benefit of a pilot/pilot or pilot/FA marraige is that at least both sides understand the schedule and the need to be away from home several days per month.

I've flown with a captain who was married to the FA working the flight. For the most part it was fine, but I was embarrased for all of us when I heard him call her "honey" with passengers onboard.

This couple was probably 15 years apart in age and had no plans for kids, so it seemed like it was working.

Then I've seen the exhausted couples bidding opposite schedules, so someone can be home with the kids. I don't envy that at all.

I think in general that one pilot in the household is bad enough, but I give you guys/gals credit who make it work. That is true love, not much of that going around these days.

satpak77 said:

I am skeptical

It's an individual opinion if it works for a couple or not. All your posts on this thread make you sound sad, pathetic and cynical... Too bad for you.

I have to agree with flygirl_1313. Both satpak77 & Rez O Lewshun are trying so hard to make everyone believe in their standards of what makes a marriage and having kids successful. Really all they sound like is bitter and sad.

If I were to look just at numbers, I personally can think of a least a dozen two pilot marriages. Some are good friends and some are acquaintances. Some have kids and some don't. In this era where 50% of marriages end in divorce, I don't know any two pilot divorces. I'm sure there are some, but every pilot I know that is divorced is divorced from someone not in the aviation industry. I realize this is just my slice of the world, but this is what I see. So if these couples can make it work then more power to them and all the naysayers can b**ch all they want, it won't change anything.

rdy4to said:
I have to agree with flygirl_1313. Both satpak77 & Rez O Lewshun are trying so hard to make everyone believe in their standards of what makes a marriage and having kids successful. Really all they sound like is bitter and sad.

Just bitter and sad that kids are on behavior modifying drugs and being raised by one parent at a time or day care.

Having sucessful kids is measured by thier behavior, adaptability and ability to function well in society. But again, the only thing kids want to do is be with thier parents. Why limit that? So one can have a successful career. Cause we have a right to fly jets? Cause the neighbors just a got a flat screen.

What is the point of marrying a another pilot/FA and having kids? A seperated family that is rarely together doesn't make sense?

Even though my husband may be gone 16 days in a row..he is home for 12 and gets to spend the FULL 12 DAYS with our son. That is actually more time than my friends husbands, who work till 7pm at night and on Saturdays just to make ends meet. When my husband is gone, his uncles and grandparents are around him, usually every day.

Latest resources

Back