Two Pilot Marriages

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
6 years and counting....

7th anniversary in a couple months. 5 years of the 6 were active duty military, and this last year has been great with the jumpseat privileges. If I'm off and he's traveling I'll try and go to him, and vice versa. He's international, I'm domestic, no kids (still debating that one). We see each other 7-10 days a month on average. Thank goodness for Verizon's unlimited family minutes! It takes more effort, but it works for us.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Just bitter and sad that kids are on behavior modifying drugs and being raised by one parent at a time or day care.

Yes, it is sad that instead of getting a good whoopin for misbehaving, a pill is now the answer.

I was raised by a single mom that had to work all the time. I was a latch key kid from the time I was 6. I think I turned out allright. I definitely felt loved. That's not to say that people should just have kids and ignore them. I think people don't take having kids seriously enough these days. It's one of the reasons we don't have any yet....because we know it's a very serious committment, we both want to continue to fly and we want to make sure we could make it work.

I have been very happily divorced from my ex-pilotwife for 3 years now. The last 2 years of our marriage we saw each other 3-4 times per month. I have figured out how to never get another divorce. Never get married again.
I have nothing bad to say about my ex either. Just didn't work out.
Chris Rock has said you can live life 2 ways:

1. Single and lonely or
2. Married and bored.

I'll take single and lonely thanks...

Bobby Orr 4 said:
I have been very happily divorced from my ex-pilotwife for 3 years now. The last 2 years of our marriage we saw each other 3-4 times per month. I have figured out how to never get another divorce. Never get married again.
I have nothing bad to say about my ex either. Just didn't work out.
Chris Rock has said you can live life 2 ways:

1. Single and lonely or
2. Married and bored.

I'll take single and lonely thanks...

Same here, almost exactly.

Interesting thread. We're a 2 pilot family --- with a child. Works for us. I tried not working and was miserable. But there's a big difference between sitting on reserve in another city and having the seniority to hold day trips and live in domicile.

Things changed dramatically for us once the stork brought the kidlet. It definately changed our priorities --- looking back, I can't believe how selfish we were regarding schedules, etc. Now both of us have set aside our own petty "wants" because the kidlet is so much more important.

As to the details of how we make it work: we bid around each other so one of us is with the munchkin. For the odd day or two a month that can't be covered, we have a nanny on call (salaried). We actually see each other quite a bit as days inevitably overlap. In a way it's pretty cool --- our days off are just that: FREE FROM WORK and completely focused on family. Personally, I would hate it if we worked 9-5 jobs, Mon-Fri. I can't imagine battling traffic every evening just to get home and have to put the kid to bed. I get far, far more time with my family as a pilot.

That being said, I wouldn't object to inheriting 20 mil and never having to work again. But only if that included my husband quitting, too, and our family spending the time (and money!) together.

As for my husband, I daresay he's pleased with our arrangement as well. He's the best dad in the world and (in my humble opinion) one of the best pilots I've ever flown with. His only complaint that I've heard is that he has no one at home who is impressed that he's a pilot. ;)

Standby 1 said:
His only complaint that I've heard is that he has no one at home who is impressed that he's a pilot. ;)

LOL!

You've pretty much got the arrangement we hope to have one day if we ever get over being scared $hitless about having a little munchkin.

capt. megadeth said:
LOL!

You've pretty much got the arrangement we hope to have one day if we ever get over being scared $hitless about having a little munchkin.
I don't think anyone ever gets over being scared about having a baby but do it anyway!! It is the greatest experience and they bring so much joy to your lives! I think a two pilot family can make it work as well or better than people in other professions. It is not the profession you are in that makes you a good parent. And Mega...from reading your posts you seem like you are very level headed and intelligent.

lifeguard said:
And Mega...from reading your posts you seem like you are very level headed and intelligent.

Whoa! I thought everyone on here thinks I'm nuts!

Maybe you were being sarcastic.

capt. megadeth said:
Maybe you were being sarcastic.
Actually, I wasn't..I usually find my self agreeing to your way of thinking. I try not to say too much cause I am not a pilot..just married to one... but I have worked in the industry for 20 years.

lifeguard said:
I don't think anyone ever gets over being scared about having a baby but do it anyway!! It is the greatest experience and they bring so much joy to your lives! I think a two pilot family can make it work as well or better than people in other professions. It is not the profession you are in that makes you a good parent. And Mega...from reading your posts you seem like you are very level headed and intelligent.

I'm going to assume your children are VERY young. Heck, we have two, (one in Harvard, one at Stanford.....everyone else thinks they are great kids....WE know better), and we still count the years until we are "kid free". Greatest experience will be when they LEAVE HOME, or figure out how not to make us NOT pay for school!!!!

Now grandkids, ahhhhhh....THAT will be a "Greatest Experience" for us.

Latest resources

Back