• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Two Pilot Marriages

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There's a guy who flies for Ho-Jets, who's wife is attending Gulfstream.

I kid you not! Talk about a match made in heaven. :puke:

Hi!

I know of a guy who's a capt at AirTran and his wife is a more senior capt at Delta. They have no kids, and a lot of dough.

cliff
YIP

FlyUnited said:
How about the pilot/flight attendant marriages. This is nothing new. Happens all the time.

yeah those always work. 58 year old Captain with FA Wife #3

lets vote for age 65 retirement....

I am friends with a couple that flies and have kids. Wife flew before the husband and has the better job. They have the best two kids I know, unlike many other kids whose parents are home every night. It truly is about quality time before quantity time. Of course it'd be great to have quality quantity time. (But hey I know another couple who has all the money in the world and no jobs and they still don't spend enough time with the kids.) My friends do work opposite schedules alot, but manage to spend time together as a family too especially when they can manipulate their schedules around. It's all about what works for the couple.

And regarding satpak77's comment to AV1ATRX, you'd never ask a guy the same questions. Why do guys fly? Don't they miss their kids? Isn't it hard on them too? Come on, most of us fly because it's something we chose to pursue not some job we fell into by accident. Something about flying spoke to us. Men or women, most pilots miss the family when they are gone from them. Many, many guys continue to fly for a living even if it means leaving the kids so why is it so different if a woman chooses to do the same thing? There is guilt leaving the kids, no matter if you are a man or a woman.

Personally, I see other couples that both work and are home every night or one of the parents stays at home and their kids are no better than the two pilot's kids. All I say is do what is best for you and your spouse and together you'll make it work.

Just my two cents.

rdy4to said:
I am friends with a couple that flies and have kids. Wife flew before the husband and has the better job. They have the best two kids I know, unlike many other kids whose parents are home every night. It truly is about quality time before quantity time. Of course it'd be great to have quality quantity time. (But hey I know another couple who has all the money in the world and no jobs and they still don't spend enough time with the kids.) My friends do work opposite schedules alot, but manage to spend time together as a family too especially when they can manipulate their schedules around. It's all about what works for the couple.

And regarding satpak77's comment to AV1ATRX, you'd never ask a guy the same questions. Why do guys fly? Don't they miss their kids? Isn't it hard on them too? Come on, most of us fly because it's something we chose to pursue not some job we fell into by accident. Something about flying spoke to us. Men or women, most pilots miss the family when they are gone from them. Many, many guys continue to fly for a living even if it means leaving the kids so why is it so different if a woman chooses to do the same thing? There is guilt leaving the kids, no matter if you are a man or a woman.

Personally, I see other couples that both work and are home every night or one of the parents stays at home and their kids are no better than the two pilot's kids. All I say is do what is best for you and your spouse and together you'll make it work.

Just my two cents.

I'd pay a dollar for those two cents and still consider it a heck of a deal. Well said sir.

capt. megadeth said:
IT'S CALLED TRUE LOVE AND IT DOES EXIST. For those of us fortunate enough to experience it, there is nothing like it.

The road to divorce court is paved with...

aw, forget it.

Pilot/F/A marriages have the same 'scheduling' issues, and not every pilot/F/A marriage is an old fart pilot married to a 20-something F/A.

My (pilot) husband and I (F/A) met at Eagle. We went to our separate majors, where I got furloughed (AA) and he almost got furloughed (DL). On my first furlough I got my pilot's license with the ambition of being a career pilot. A recall letter arrived at my door 5 months later and we decided instead to get married and accept my recall to AA as a F/A. After my second furlough from AA we decided to have our kids. We knew I'd be furloughed for a loooooong time (almost 4 years later, with no recall in sight we were right ;) ). I was not furloughed by choice, but I did not pursue flying with another carrier by choice (and believe me it was tempting when UA and CO started hiring), and I did not pursue my ratings, again by choice.

I have made the choice to stay furloughed, and stay with our two kids who are now 3 and 17 months. There will be no more (2 is plenty, thankyouverymuch) and if a recall letter showed up at my door there's no way I'd be able to accept. The scheduling would be impossible. I accept this and have no regrets. My kids are worth it. Airplanes will always be there for me to fly (whether I choose to continue my ratings or continue as a F/A), but my kids are only young once.

My wife and I were working for different regionals when we got married. I moved to live at her base and did the commute since my airline had better pass privileges with the "major" that served the route. A year later I got hired by that "major" and very shortly after that she got pregnant. Funny how that works. In fact it pretty much happened within days of when I was offered a class date. Anyway, she quit to stay home with the children (now there are two) and hasn't looked back since. She always wanted to be a stay at home mom. We drive old cars and live out in the sticks so we can afford it.

Lots of pilot/flight attendant marriages last...and not all are old pilot/young f/a either. I've had my adorable (now 40 something) pilot for 20 years and I see no end in sight for either of us....and we have two kids.

It takes a lot of juggling of schedules to make it work. Luckily at United, we can drop our schedules to zero through rdo's, so I'm home during the summers and only work when I feel like it. Sometimes we fly together, most of the time we don't.....who could stand to see each other 24/7? It's all about the desire to make it work and the love that glues it together.

Latest resources

Back