Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Two people in Aviation with Kids. Does it work?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
. Working for success is better than dwelling on escape plans.

If she leaves with the stallion then I will take care of my moral, legal and financial reposnibilites...

Of course it is but being naive and not having a back up (not "escape plan" but a back up) is unwise. Why not work for success but know you have a back up plan?

And I take it you won't b!tch about it one iota eh? LOL!

Now.. what are you going to do Mega? You are a single, unwed, mother who flies multi-day trips? Your legal rights to obligate him are less due to the unmarried status. Hopefully you can do out and backs in SDF? But even so.. the demands of a single parent even with kids in school are high... what is the plan before the child goes to public/private school?

Well, I would wish that I would have been a stay at home mom in this situation so I can truly be f***ed!

Seriously, though, hopefully, he would still want to help out with HIS OWN child but if not......Well, I certainly won't be running around like a fool to court to get my f***ing alimony (even if I was married) or child support. Why? Because I don't need it! If need be, I can move to Louisville and teach in the simulator. I'm not crazy about daycare, but at that point you do what you have to do. If I don't move then can have my mom help me when I am gone. I'd love to see her work less at her job and give her the difference in money. There are many many options none of which would put me in a better position had I been married. I would also be thanking my lucky stars that I didn't put myself in a position like the one you seem to love so much. THEN what would I do?

I know in YOUR little world being a single female pilot with a kid is something that is probably impossible but I've actually met a few and they make it work. They weren't b!tching about it either.

Do you honestly think that a stay at home mom is in a better position than someone like me when daddy hits the road? If so, you are truly delusional.

Rez, most of my friends are stay home moms simply because I have rarely worked throughout the years.....so NO, I don't have a problem with women who choose to stay home. Also, I adore men (especially all MY MEN.....husband and my boys)

I do have an issue with certain types of men though. You know the types, the ones who try to hold a person down so low that they lose all self esteem. Hint: the kind YOU like.

Rez, I find it interesting that you state as fact one article and hold it up as gospel. I can find just as many to state the opposite.

Rez, most of my friends are stay home moms simply because I have rarely worked throughout the years.....so NO, I don't have a problem with women who choose to stay home.

ok

Also, I adore men (especially all MY MEN.....husband and my boys)

Of course... you molded and trainied them!

I do have an issue with certain types of men though. You know the types, the ones who try to hold a person down so low that they lose all self esteem. Hint: the kind YOU like.

Ah the personal attack....

Rez, I find it interesting that you state as fact one article and hold it up as gospel.

Gospel? I think I just posted an article.... you seemed to take it negatively and so you have to dramatize it with sarcasm.

I can find just as many to state the opposite.

Let see those articles..... I am intrested in both sides of the debate... and I'd love to read it from a more creditable source other than you and your personal attacks..

OK, I'll go find one, but I'm going to go swimming with my hubby right now, so you'll have to wait. :)

Rez, are you sure you aren't the 'stay home mom'? You are always online.

OK, I'll go find one, but I'm going to go swimming with my hubby right now, so you'll have to wait. :)

Rez, are you sure you aren't the 'stay home mom'? You are always online.

You must be a raisin by now....

You figured me out.... I am a airline pilot wanna be... stuck at home cause I got a professional girl pregnant... she wears the pants....

Did you find that article?

Work or stay at home? It's still a quandary for moms

FlyUnited: While your looking for your articles, here is one that popped up in the USAToday, yesterday. What do you think?

http://www.usatoday.com/money/workplace/2007-10-02-working-moms_N.htm

Work or stay at home? It's still a quandary for moms

By Stephanie Armour, USA TODAY
Stay-at-home moms and working mothers have hardly called a truce in the so-called Mommy Wars — the debate over which sort of parenting is better for a child: a mother at home or on the job.
The latest salvo: a book by Leslie Bennetts, The Feminine Mistake, which posits that mothers assume too much of a financial and career risk if they stay at home to raise the kids.
Recent research also reflects the ambivalence with which many mothers regard their own decisions about working or staying home, and many feel harshly judged for their choices. There is a widespread belief that today's parents are not measuring up to the standard that parents set a generation ago, according to a recent survey by the Pew Research Center. More than half of Americans (56%) say that mothers are doing a worse job today than mothers did 20 or 30 years ago, the study found.

"I often hear moms who are thinking of going back to work tell me they need flexibility, but being at home is driving them crazy," says Robin Ryan, a career coach and author of What to Do with The Rest of Your Life, in an e-mail. "Stay-at-home moms complain a lot that 'just being a mom' is like being invisible in this society."

But working moms feel qualms about their choices, too. Christina Zola, 39, of Washington, D.C., longs to stay home with her son, Nicholas, 4, but works full time doing marketing for an architecture firm.

"The guilt is there, wherever I am, and I rarely feel I'm in the right place at the right time." Zola says. "We all, as mothers, live with the consequences of our choices, and we don't take them lightly."
More prefer part-time jobs
In the span of the past decade, full-time work outside the home has lost some of its appeal to mothers, a report from the Pew Research Center found. This trend holds for mothers who have such jobs and those who don't.

Among working mothers with children 17 and under, one in five (21%) say full-time work is the ideal situation for them, down from the 32% who said that in 1997, according to a July Pew Research Center survey. Six in 10 (up from 48% in 1997) of today's working mothers say part-time work would be their ideal, and one in five (19%) say they would prefer not working at all outside the home.
Those who do work say they often must confront attitudes from co-workers who may question their decision to leave children in child care or with a nanny. That's what happened to Sabrina Parsons, CEO of Palo Alto Software in Eugene, Ore. Parsons says she was recently participating in a business meeting and during casual conversation, one of the men said, "Thank goodness my kids are not being raised by a nanny."

Presumably, this was a man who had a wife who had chosen to stay at home with his children. Meanwhile, Parsons' children were at home with their nanny. She says she just smiled, said nothing, and felt happy that she was ending a very productive meeting and was on her way home to be with her two boys, Timmy, 3, and Leo, 1. Parsons works full time.

"I thought he'd be embarrassed, but he just didn't get it," Parsons says. "I thought, 'Should I say something?' Not all of us have a choice. There are times there is pressure to feel guilty. I feel like work makes me a better mom. I want to work."
The Feminine Mistake extols the joy of mothers working at jobs they love and in being able to be financially independent if need be, and that is a position that Parsons agrees with.
She says she wants her sons to learn that mothers can also be professionals and bosses and not have to give up career aspirations just because they have children.

No right or wrong answer
Mommy Wars — that often unspoken judgment that persists over the choices that both working at stay-at-home moms make — can be avoided if mothers become more comfortable about the choices they make and why they've made them, says Lynn Jarrett, a coach and author.
"Understand that every woman is 'wired' differently. Different personalities have unique approaches and ideas on parenting," Jarrett says in an e-mail. "There's no 'right' or 'wrong' answer, but what fits best for you and your family needs. Stop 'should-ing' on yourself."
The debate and guilt over a mother's decision to work or not comes even amid major demographic changes. In 1970, women contributed a median of 27% to their families' income, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
In 2004, the most recent data available, that percentage jumped to about 35%. And the percentage of wives who earn more than their husbands do has climbed from 17.8% in families where both spouses work to 25% in 2004. About 70% of women with children under 18 are in the labor force.

"I know many moms who work full time, some who work part time, and some who stay at home," says Jeanne Hurlbert, a professor of sociology at Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge.
"Probably the biggest feature we all share is that we're unsure about the decisions we've made, about whether we're doing the 'right' thing for our families, particularly for our children," she says.

Parsons says. "I thought, 'Should I say something?' Not all of us have a choice. There are times there is pressure to feel guilty. I feel like work makes me a better mom. I want to work."

Sorry, but we all have a choice. Not sure why a CEO doesn't have the ability to comprehend choice and decision making. I would think that would be a basic and fundamental characteristic of leadership and managment.

Can you gals explain to me how working makes her a better mom?

Again... she wants to work. She didn't say needs to work. What are the children needs?

[QUOTE]"Probably the biggest feature we all share is that we're unsure about the decisions we've made, about whether we're doing the 'right' thing for our families, particularly for our children," she says.[/QUOTE]

IOW...the quandry....

Why not...

1. Find Mr. Mom
2. Have kids then have career.
3. Have career then kids.
4. Have career only.
5. Have kids only.

Rez, why don't you just give it up? Let this thread die already. I know I'm guilty of keeping it going myself for a while but I'm drained.

Noone gives a crap what you think about career moms. Go live your life and we will live ours.

Your banter seriously drains me mentally.

why is it that when men are drained we still ...

want to have sex....when women are drained they shut down like my APU..

now, i know it is hormonal...but really , is there enough cuddling out there that can take the place of a good roll in the hay...where's DR. Phil when you need him.

throw in two kids, a full time mom and you have to make an appt.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back