Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Two people in Aviation with Kids. Does it work?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CHQFA00

Husband is a pilot, I'm a FA. We just found out we're expecting. I'm sure there are thosands of people who have done this, but how do you make it work? We're thinking about moving to where the inlaws live (so we can have a babysitter), however, that will be a 2 leg offline commute for the both of us. It's either that, or I try to hire a nanny from the location where I'm at right now. Any advice? What have you done?

I'll let you know come June. I'm in the same boat as you are. My in laws live 5 minutes away so that takes some of the pressure off although we haven't officially asked them for help yet. :eek: If you want to chat, PM me, maybe we can exchange ideas. Good luck sista!

Hope you are not both working for the same airline, all the eggs in one basket is not good.

However this dilemma proves one thing, aviation is an hereditary disease.

it all comes down to

Who do I want to raise my kids? Me, or someone else (even if its the in-laws).

Period, end of story.

it all comes down to

Who do I want to raise my kids? Me, or someone else (even if its the in-laws).

Period, end of story.

So very true... in addition.. it is also... what is more important... social recognition in the work place and more money... or being the best parent you can.....

Gotta watch that second income... it can get sucked away real quick by child care costs, etc....

Children want to be with Mom and Dad. Period. You'll get weak excuses like... we both work, but our time with our kids is quality time..... :rolleyes:

Quit your job and raise your child. A child needs a parent to be home and not raised in day care or by in laws.

Husband is a pilot, I'm a FA. We just found out we're expecting. I'm sure there are thosands of people who have done this, but how do you make it work? We're thinking about moving to where the inlaws live (so we can have a babysitter), however, that will be a 2 leg offline commute for the both of us. It's either that, or I try to hire a nanny from the location where I'm at right now. Any advice? What have you done?

Some observations

Your FA income is not something to trade rearing your kid for. For that matter, not many jobs are either. We all recognize in "the real world" sometimes it is necessary to keep two jobs, but its not like you are a LASIK surgeon and considering "quitting" to rear your kid. You are an FA. It is what it is, no disrespect.

With that said, how MUCH will it COST you to move closer to the in-laws, with the purpose that you keep your FA job?

You also stated you might hire a nanny. At what COST?

I argue flat out quitting your FA job, and not moving anywhere, AND raising your kid YOURSELF, is gonna be cheaper than keeping the job and moving, day care, nannys, etc etc.

Do the math.

Here's my observation Satpak. Unlike YOUR job/airline, I can work one trip a month. I love how everyone on here is saying "Stay at home with your child, you need to raise it". Of course I need to raise it because I know that my husband will be gone 4 days a week, and that's really not raising a child, is it? I also ask you whether not your wife is happy being stuck at home day in and day out? I can give you a simple answer. No. BTW, do you even have children, or even married, or are you one of those Pilots that have a opinion about EVERYTHING and need to let everyone know?!?!

My point is, I'm not planning on doing a full time month with my airline. My plan was to work maybe one or two three day trips a month so I can get out of the house and still have my life while my husband is at home on his off days, and if not, find someone for a day or so a month to help me out.

And personally, I went on here to ask people that have been through this, you and most of the responders have not been through this. So if you reread my post, you will find that I'm asking people that are already in this sitution. If your not, WHY DON'T YOU get off the computer and go RAISE YOUR child instead of lecturing me?

Nevermind, I give up, I knew I wouldn't find my answer here, what was I thinking? Someone who has actually been through this, please PM. Thanks.

so I can get out of the house and still have my life while my husband is at home on his off days, and if not, find someone for a day or so a month to help me out.

Have you tried a puppy first... to see if you really want to do this whole child thing?

I don't get it? What is so horrible about being at home with children?

If you need to "get out and still have a life" then maybe you aren't ready for the responsibilty of parenting. And maybe you won't appreciate the joys of raising children, they are not assets to acquire in the "keeping up with the Jonses" race of our materialistic society...

Sometimes a person has to choose... If a woman can find a man who wants to be Mr. Mom then go for it....

Latest resources

Back